Anyone heard from af123

MymsMan

Ad detector
@af123 is usually one of the most active forum members even when he is busy working away from home but his last post was July 17th and prior to that he was last normally active July 11th.

Has anyone heard if is on vacation or otherwise out of contact? I didn't get a response to a PM.

I hope he hasn't caught Covid or suffered some other misfortune.

Is @af123 still active on the forums, his profile is hidden from meer mortals such as I

He did send me a PM in mid August to he had been in hospital and was trying to catch up but no sign of forum posts.

I am a bit worried that while we have several forum administrators we don't have any obviuos backups for the RS server, GIT, Package repository, Custom firmware etc

I am a bit worried that while we have several forum administrators we don't have any obviuos backups for the RS server, GIT, Package repository, Custom firmware etc
Even worse if the bills don't get paid on the hosting - the forum and wiki will disappear too, presumably with no current backup of the database.

Is @af123 still active on the forums, his profile is hidden from mere mortals such as I
Last seen at 9:20pm on Monday according to his profile.
I am a bit worried that while we have several forum administrators we don't have any obvious backups for the RS server, GIT, Package repository, Custom firmware etc
Only one other administrator which is Brian.

I have backups of Package repository, Custom firmware and the Wiki pages
That is good to know, like all backups one hopes not to need them,

Can you also backup Forums, GIT repository, RS servers?
Do you have any powers to make changes, for example to allow someone to upload a new beta ir package to supercede the missing 1.20 level?

That is good to know, like all backups one hopes not to need them,

Can you also backup Forums, GIT repository, RS servers?
No, I only have special access to the Wiki
Do you have any powers to make changes, for example to allow someone to upload a new beta ir package to supercede the missing 1.20 level?
I do have permission to upload new packages to the standard repository, but not the beta area

I do have permission to upload new packages to the standard repository, but not the beta area
If you could take the existing ir 1.17 package, update the version in the control file to 1.21, rebuild the opk file and upload to the standard repository it would override the missing beta version 1.20 (this is what @af123 should have done when the problems with 1.20 were discovered)

edit: Apologies for causing confusion I thought when writing this post that 1.18 was the non-beta version

Last edited:
1.19 is working for me and fixes a bug in 1.18.
It should just be a matter of running opkg-make-index in the appropriate directory for the beta repository to fix the index file. I would offer to do it myself, but...

What is the rest of this sentence?
...but I don't have access.
If a dummy ir 1.21 is uploaded, is the 'opkg list' automatically re-generated on the server?
I would believe it's probably automated for the beta repository, as it is for the main one, but I don't know.
In fact uploading any beta package may regenerate it.
The problem still remains that nobody else has access.

Personally I don't think this problem needs fixing and without access to the beta area we can't fix it anyway, I would be prepared to re-package ir 1.17 as ir 1.21 and place it in the standard repository but that would replace 1.18 and 1.19 for all beta users that allow auto upgrade, I wouldn't be prepared to repackage 1.18 or 1.19 beta packages and place them in a non-beta area. As far as I can see the only beta user that had a problem was BH with his 'DONT PANIC' post and there are adequate instructions in that post to re-install ir 1.19

Maybe, but that has to be done every time fix-flash-packages gets run. I don't see why 1.19 can't be the new non-beta standard, re-issued as 1.21.
Why are ir 1.18 and ir 1.19 still in the beta area, I don't know the answer, It is up to af123 to decide not you or me
BTW
The details of how to load ir 1.19 was detailed by /df 10 days earlier, Click HERE

Back