Arq A/Com 5 problems

I noticed a few glitches on a recent U&Drama recording (but that's on different mux).
On closer inspection it looks like screen aspect ratio change in the middle of a scene!

I usually have Menu/Settings/Preferences/Video/Display Format/Pillarbox on the HDR.
But this recording flickers every now and then during playback.
It also happens when set to Zoom.
To resolve this set it to Auto - no flicker but it stretches 4:3 material (I prefer pillarbox, although it may be a conflict with my TV setting. I'll have to check.).

Last edited:
There is definitely something weird going on ArqA. Had numerous live pauses on Dave. I record various programmes. One did a jump (reminiscent of the 9300T/9150T Family Guy problem). Not repeatable on Dave ja vu. "Mock the Week" had a green screen (Aura via HDMI and 2000T via RCA cables in exactly the same place).

Yes. I use that - often. The audio bitrates seem to be 128kbps stereo which isn't good, but it sounds (to me) more like 64kbps or even 32kbps stereo.
I had frequent every min or two freezes on UDave whilst viewing Border force this morning but just checked again and it is showing Rick Stein and have had zero freezes. SkyMix was also giving repeated brief black screens but now seems ok.

I noticed a few glitches on a recent U&Drama recording (but that's on different mux).
On closer inspection it looks like screen aspect ratio change in the middle of a scene!
I had Drama on in the background and saw the aspect ratio change in my peripheral vision. Having caught my attention it went back to the correct ratio. I had this problem on most UKTV channels on my 5000T. It appears to be happening on the Aura now. Quite often UKTV channels have nasty clicks in sound as well. Unfortunately Drama+1 is on ArqA and the sound is out-of-sync. :(

So I recorded one or two performances from Sky Arts.
The audio wasn't brilliant, but they're comparible to similar concerts I'd recorded (in the past year or so). But that is to be expected as music concert audio may not be as polished/processed as, say, the released single.
I also made some recordings of That's 80s music on That's TV 2(65) - they seem fine.

So I recorded one or two performances from Sky Arts.
The audio wasn't brilliant, but they're comparible to similar concerts I'd recorded (in the past year or so). But that is to be expected as music concert audio may not be as polished/processed as, say, the released single.
I also made some recordings of That's 80s music on That's TV 2(65) - they seem fine.
Unfortunately, neither channel seems fine to me. In fact all stereo sound on that multiplex is worse now than it was a week ago - at least on all my devices. :dunno:

Yeah, can hear it. I started a thread on DS a few days ago, but only one other person said they saw the problem. Wenvoe is my local transmitter.

I contacted Channel 4 about it (I initially only noticed it on E4 Extra). They sent a few replies asking about reception and the equiptment I had etc, but went quiet after I sent them some audio samples.

Maybe they're still looking into it.

Noticed that yesterday on Drama, the aspect ratio changed and then changed back immediately. This has happened before on UKTV channels. (Caused havoc with my 5000T and TV, one reason for getting an Aura. "What a mistake-a to make-a! "[Bertorelli - 'Allo, 'Allo])
Yeah, can hear it.
Definitely noticeable on headphones. Compare the same programme on Dave and DaveJaVu and spot the difference.

Noticed that yesterday on Drama, the aspect ratio changed and then changed back immediately. This has happened before on UKTV channels. (Caused havoc with my 5000T and TV, one reason for getting an Aura. "What a mistake-a to make-a! "[Bertorelli - 'Allo, 'Allo])
Yes, that's the one.
It's a (centisecond) aspect ratio change and immediately revert back again which caused the flickers. On my HDR I can minimise it by setting as per post #21.

Has anyone else noticed poor sound quality on many of the Arq A channels? I first noticed it on Dave (or is that Ewan Dave?) two days ago. Since then I've heard it on Sky Mix, Sky News, Challenge - but not Sky Arts. The sound problems appear on other Humax models and my TV tuner.
A further problem that began for me at the same time is live picture freezing on Dave and Challenge. Also, possibly on playback, a repeating one second loop. This maybe (my) Aura specific. I may investigate other models, time permitting (a round tuit problem).
Hi Phil,
I noticed the exact same thing here in Birmingham on my JVC TV. I was watching Bake Off on Food Network and I noticed that it sounded like I was listening to DAB radio with bad reception. Then I turned the subtitles on to see if that would help and I noticed that the font had changed to a lower quality one so maybe there is a correlation between the two? It could be that COM5 is down? Since then I've had to watch Battle In The Box on U&DaveJaVu and have shockingly had to stay up very late to catch Cats Does Countdown on More4!

Thanks,
Noah.

Hi Phil,
I noticed the exact same thing here in Birmingham on my JVC TV. I was watching Bake Off on Food Network and I noticed that it sounded like I was listening to DAB radio with bad reception. Then I turned the subtitles on to see if that would help and I noticed that the font had changed to a lower quality one so maybe there is a correlation between the two? It could be that COM5 is down? Since then I've had to watch Battle In The Box on U&DaveJaVu and have shockingly had to stay up very late to catch Cats Does Countdown on More4!

Thanks,
Noah.
Several people are reporting the Com 5 issue now on the other Humax site and so far Humax have just offered the generic fix all do a factory reset to cure the issue but that has been of no use. I suspect that like the previous black screen Aura issue it will take an update to fix the problem. I posted this on the other site in the hope that Humax might take action...................

" If you also are having the same issue then email or phone Humax, the more people who contact them the more likely they will be to sort out the issue."

Email:
uksupport@humax-digital.co.uk

Support & Information:
0344 318 8800

Several people are reporting the Com 5 issue now on the other Humax site and so far Humax have just offered the generic fix all do a factory reset to cure the issue but that has been of no use. I suspect that like the previous black screen Aura issue it will take an update to fix the problem. I posted this on the other site in the hope that Humax might take action...................

" If you also are having the same issue then email or phone Humax, the more people who contact them the more likely they will be to sort out the issue."

Email:
uksupport@humax-digital.co.uk

Support & Information:
0344 318 8800
Tried that: Nothing changed I'm afraid. I am considering writing to Freeview themselves about this issue.

Tried that: Nothing changed I'm afraid. I am considering writing to Freeview themselves about this issue.
Yes the reset is a waste of time, I expect they will suggest " perform a format on your HDD" next which is also the advice they gave with the previous Aura black screen issue that affected channels on Multiplex PSB2. Both did nothing to cure the problem then eventually (quoted from an e.mail from Humax)................................

We are currently experiencing a high volume of contacts due to an issue with our Aura set-top box, where specific channels may temporarily experience a blackout screen.
Our development team has already identified the root cause of the problem and is currently in the process of testing a bugfix with selected users. This testing phase is crucial as we aim to ensure that the solution does not have any unintended side effects on the Freeview app.
We kindly ask for your patience during this time as we collect and analyze feedback from our testers. Rest assured, we are working diligently to resolve the issue.

.........................................Good luck with writing to Freeview though.

Edit. Humax then launched an update that fixed the issue for most users apart from those that Beta tested the fix, they were unable to download the update and had to wait a few weeks until Humax dealt with their issue :).

Last edited:
Yes the reset is a waste of time, I expect they will suggest " perform a format on your HDD" next which is also the advice they gave with the previous Aura black screen issue that affected channels on Multiplex PSB2. Both did nothing to cure the problem then eventually (quoted from an e.mail from Humax)................................

We are currently experiencing a high volume of contacts due to an issue with our Aura set-top box, where specific channels may temporarily experience a blackout screen.
Our development team has already identified the root cause of the problem and is currently in the process of testing a bugfix with selected users. This testing phase is crucial as we aim to ensure that the solution does not have any unintended side effects on the Freeview app.
We kindly ask for your patience during this time as we collect and analyze feedback from our testers. Rest assured, we are working diligently to resolve the issue.

.........................................Good luck with writing to Freeview though.

Edit. Humax then launched an update that fixed the issue for most users apart from those that Beta tested the fix, they were unable to download the update and had to wait a few weeks until Humax dealt with their issue :).
I just wrote to Freeview and this is what I said, is this alright?

Hi,

I hope you can help. For a while now I have been noticing some sound problems when trying to watch any channel on the COM5/ArqA multiplex. Specifically when I was watching Bake Off on Food Network I noticed the sound quality was so bad that I could barely hear what people were saying. Other channels on other multiplexes however haven't had problems. Is this something that you have been made aware of before and if so is there a fix?

Thanks,
Noah Kelly.

I just wrote to Freeview and this is what I said, is this alright?

Hi,

I hope you can help. For a while now I have been noticing some sound problems when trying to watch any channel on the COM5/ArqA multiplex. Specifically when I was watching Bake Off on Food Network I noticed the sound quality was so bad that I could barely hear what people were saying. Other channels on other multiplexes however haven't had problems. Is this something that you have been made aware of before and if so is there a fix?

Thanks,
Noah Kelly.
Are you not also suffering from screen freeze and brief black screen on Live Com5 channels with constant looping on their recordings?

Back