Aspect ratio stuck at 4:3 after recording/watching recording

giotto

Recently, I bought a Humax DTR-T1010 PVR and everything was working fine...till I recorded a programme which was in a 4:3 aspect ratio. Since doing so, instead of displaying the 4:3 programme at that correct aspect ratio with black bars down either side, it has zoomed in so the width of the 4:3 picture now fills the screen, thereby cropping off top and bottom of the original broadcast. Furthermore, even 16:9 broadcast programmes are slightly zoomed in by the same amount, nomatter which channel I watch, either watching live, on playback from recordings, or watching any OnDemand programme.

If I revert to watching via the tv's receiver, rather than via the receiver in the PVR box (ie one of the HDMI ports), the aspect ratio is correct. On the tv's settings, this ratio is called 'FULL'. - for info, the tv is a Sony Bravia KDL42W7.

On the Humax however, there appears to be no way to change the aspect ratio, and a quick scan of several websites/forums also suggest this is the case.

I did a factory reset and that corrected the problem, but when I again tried to record a 4:3 programme, the same fault was recreated. Could anyone here suggest something I can try doing, or should be doing, before I return it for a replacement or a refund. Thanks in advance.

Furthermore, even 16:9 broadcast programmes are slightly zoomed in by the same amount, nomatter which channel I watch, either watching live, on playback from recordings, or watching any OnDemand programme..

On my Sony Bravia TV it is possible to overirde the aspect ratio for a specifc HDMI input. Doing this will result in what you describe.

With the Humax showing a normal channel and broadcasting a full screen programme, go into the TV's menus and check what the screen format is set to. Try setting it to FULL instead of NORMAL
On mine that would be
HOME >> Settings >> Display >> Screen
or
OPTIONS >> Screen Format

My guess is that you used the OPTIONS >> Screen format previously.

On my Sony Bravia TV it is possible to overirde the aspect ratio for a specifc HDMI input. Doing this will result in what you describe.

With the Humax showing a normal channel and broadcasting a full screen programme, go into the TV's menus and check what the screen format is set to.

Thanks for the suggestion, but part of the problem is that when I go back to the tv, the screen format option only seems to relate to what is being displayed via the tv's receiver and doesn't affect anything displayed via the Humax box. I can't locate any preferences for attributing a particular format to an individual HDMI port. FYI, the format options I can select from are:

- Wide Zoom
- Normal
- Full
- Zoom
- Caption

Unlike the Fox option as described by Black Hole above, there is no option to set the screen format via the Humax's remote. Even in the 'MyView' settings option, there's nothing to set the aspect ratio there either, it all seems to be automatically done 'back of house', which is very frustrating.

I've just switched off and let the Humax 'rest' for a while, and now it seems I can get back to viewing things in 16:9. I have also deleted all recordings which I know were in 4:3 format which, again, this isn't exactly a satisfactory solution in the long-term.

I'll give that a shot, thanks for suggesting. (only other tv is an old CRT Panasonic with attached digibox, but presumably that won't affect the PRVR issue/performance?)

Will report back...

Thanks for the suggestion, but part of the problem is that when I go back to the tv, the screen format option only seems to relate to what is being displayed via the tv's receiver and doesn't affect anything displayed via the Humax box. I can't locate any preferences for attributing a particular format to an individual HDMI port.
I've now checked which TV I have and the software series for your TV and my TV are the same. We are using the same software series and so what I can do on my TV you can do on your TV.

To update the screen format for just the Youview box you need first to be watching the youview on the TV.
Then use HOME (on the remote) >> Settings (top row 3rd from the left) >> Display (1st option down) >> Screen (2nd option down).
This will display the screen page and state which hdmi input you are using (HDMI 1 / HDMI 2 / HDMI 3 / HDMI 4).

To update the details for just the Youview change "Target Inputs" to "Current", and then update the screen Format to "Full".
To adjust the TV and leave the HDMI inputs alone do the same but with the TV initially showing the TV picture from its own tuners.

(By the way I also have had a fight with the Sony KDL W7 when thinking that it was all setup it decided to tweak things after I'd watched a 4:3 programme. Everything is now stable with me and the 4:3 programmes that I watch are displayed OK.
For the HDMI Humax inputs I also have "Auto Format" set to "On" and Wide Zoom as that will affect some of the only 4:3 programmes and will not affect any of the 16:9 programmes.)

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'm probably being a bit of a muppet here, but when you say the 'HOME' button, do you mean the blue 'Y' on the Humax remote? (I've attached a photo of the two remotes for info.) If so, I don't have the same options as you describe within the settings options. The ones I have are:

- Parental Control
- Subtitles & Accessibility
- Network & Internet
- Language
- Your Info & Legals
- Device Management (photo attached showing options here)

- System Info.
- TV signal & quality (photo attached showing options here)

However if you mean HOME on the tv's remote, then nothing happens. (if I were viewing the tv through its receiver, this would ordinarily take me into the OnDemand services, Netflix, YouTube etc.)

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Attachments

• remotes.jpg
    remotes.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Device management screen.jpg
    Device management screen.jpg
    658.3 KB · Views: 10
  • TV signal and qu.jpg
    TV signal and qu.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 11
On the plus side, I should add that now when I watch a 4:3 programme via the Humax (still stretched to 16:9), and then go to a 16:9 programme, it's displayed in the correct 16:9 aspect ratio! Not sure why it's now doing this, but I'm not complaining.

I also noticed that when viewing older programmes on the tv's receiver, there's an additional 'aspect ration' option of 14:9. (This isn't available when viewing a 16:9 programme.)

All I really need to do now is find a way to successfully record and view a 4:3 programme in 4:3.

However if you mean HOME on the tv's remote, then nothing happens. (if I were viewing the tv through its receiver, this would ordinarily take me into the OnDemand services, Netflix, YouTube etc.)

It is the TV's remote I am referring to. (Your Sony remote is the same as mine.) I have different TV's connected to my Humax. This is primerily a Sony issue.

What is the software of your TV?
HOME >> ? (top row 2nd from left) >> Customer Support >> System Information >> Software version is 2nd line up from bottom
There was a software update a few weeks ago to PKG2.193EUA. Previously I was using version 166 but the HOME button worked for me back then when I was watching my Humax via HDMI.
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/co...-kdlw-firmware-update-v2193/KDL-42w829B#about

How on earth does 'able' get changed to 'panel' BH?
The wonders of iOS auto-correct! I typed something (can't remember what) only yesterday, perfectly correct word with a v in it, and it got transposed to another correctly spelt (but irrelevant) word with the v replaced with a p!

I'll go and sort it out...

Thanks for clarifying re the remotes; it's the same, latest software you note above. The tv is only a few weeks old too, so it might have come with that already installed, or it did an auto-update.

Maybe different for the W8 Bravia?

for info, the tv is a Sony Bravia KDL42W7.

Maybe different for the W8 Bravia?

It's a W7 that I am using.

Almost all I can suggest for now is that when you switch off things tonight is that you disconnect the TV from the mains and see when it boots up tomorrow whether or not the Sony's HOME button starts to work when watching the Youview.

The Sony doesn't always do that. I have changed mine so that it does. But I still get the HOME button to work when watching my Humax.

However if you mean HOME on the tv's remote, then nothing happens.
Have you got something else apart from the Youview that you could connect to the Sony via HDMI? If you have then does the HOME button work?

It's a W7 that I am using.

Sorry, my mistake. The link you posted above regarding the software update mentioned W8, which made me think you maybe had one.

Almost all I can suggest for now is that when you switch off things tonight is that you disconnect the TV from the mains and see when it boots up tomorrow whether or not the Sony's HOME button starts to work when watching the Youview.

I'll try that.

The Sony doesn't always do that. I have changed mine so that it does. But I still get the HOME button to work when watching my Humax.

Ah, I didn't realise that was possible. Can you remember where you change the settings for the HOME button?

Have you got something else apart from the Youview that you could connect to the Sony via HDMI? If you have then does the HOME button work?
In terms of AV appliances, I'm afraid not, only things like digital cameras.

Ah, I didn't realise that was possible. Can you remember where you change the settings for the HOME button?
This doesn't have an influence on your current issue but ...

When you press HOME there are 5 screen options on the left on the top row. What you describe is the "Apps" option. The HOME button will remember what you last used. Mine normally goes to "Channel" as I also use the Sony as a recorder although it does not have Accurate Recording functionality and is a pain in the arse for multiple reasons. Its ability to play Audio Description on High Definition programmes surpasses anything that Humax have done. Unfortunately I still have to record HD on the Humax for backup on must 'see' programmes as the Sony is so flakey. Meanwhile non-HD on the HDR-FOX T2 with the old 1.02.20 remains all round superb for my purposes.

To get back on track:
I've been playing with "OPTIONS >> Screen format". It is a temporary override and resets when the source changes its aspect details (e.g. during adverts in 4:3 progs) or you change channels. So far I haven't upset the stable aspect ration behaviour of my Sony and so I am grateful for you for encouraging me to experiment. This also means that changing your Sony to behave correctly cannot be done via "OPTIONS >> Screen format".

In terms of AV appliances, I'm afraid not, only things like digital cameras.
That would be OK for a check to see if the YouView is some how interfering with getting the HOME button to work. Has the camera got an HDMI compatible socket? If it has a mini HDMI socket do you have a cable for connecting the camera's socket to the Sony's standard HDMI?
I've just checked one of my cameras that I thought had a mini HDMI, but now I see it is something very odd.
I.e. I haven't got a another device to attempt to duplicate your issue on my Sony TV.

By the way I have also checked the Sony manual. It is a glorified "quick start" guide and does not help. It gives little granular detail and appears to me as an entire waste of time for any Sony TV owner who attempts to use it.

Thanks, I remember now changing it to 'Apps' when I was installing Epic tv so have now reset it to display 'Channel'. BTW, I'm curious to know how you manage to use the Sony as a recorder as I didn't realise it had that capability.

FYI, I switched off fully and unplugged last night as you suggested, but the HOME button still doesn't do anything when I'm viewing on the Humax.

The HDMI port on my dSLR is a regular sized one so I'll connect that this evening and see if anything is revealed by doing so.

Thanks again for your assistance.

BTW, I'm curious to know how you manage to use the Sony as a recorder as I didn't realise it had that capability.
I wonder as I have timers setup whether that is the reason why it is letting me into the HOME page while watching HDMI but not allowing you to get there? And I'm not deleting my timers to have a go! It is too much hassle on the Sony to set them up again.

For your Sony to record TV programmes you will need a USB memory device Ie. flash drive or other external drive. It's easier if it is self powered. I use a flash drive but using it as a recording medium will wear it out a lot quicker than other uses. I had a spare 128GB flash drive which I don't trust to store anything else of mine on due its track record but if I had to buy one I'd go for the 64GB MyMemory brand as it's (£14.97), fast enough, and does not have a blinking light (NOT the 32GB as that is noticeable slower). http://www.mymemory.co.uk/USB-Flash-Drives/MyMemory/MyMemory-64GB-Hi-Speed-USB-Flash-Drive---Blue Notice that after you switch the TV to standby there is some activity to the USB device and so to stop corruption don't remove the USB device immediatly after placing in stand-by. I have the indicater light on the front of the TV to on, but 'dark' and it goes crimson if recording whether in stand-by or not in stand-by.

You start off by plugging in the USB HDD into the USB port marked "HDD REC". The iManual says that you have to delve into the menus to request a format and register the device. Despite the manual saying that what happens on my my TV (!) after plugging a new USB device to the USB REC port is that it comes up with a message asking if I want to use it for recording and asking to 'register' it. It does a quick format to NTFS and wipes everything off the USB device.

After that you can set repeat timers manually, select programmes from the guide (but not the guide and search), start off recording a TV live programme (via the record button on the remote), or use the TV PAUSE button on your remote. Timers are kept on the TV and so you can swap USB memory devices in and out. Only TV channels are recordable - no radio channels. Most of its operation is very clumsy and there is no Accurate Recording or padding but there is series link, and the range of repeat choices for the manually set timers is good. It only has 1 tuner but while it is recording you can watch a recorded programme. You can chase play but you can not watch another programme on the same mux while it is recording. There are no bookmarks but it does automatically start off where you were last watching. All recordings are encrypted to the individual TV that made the recording.

If you would like to watch a different channel to the one you are recording then you will need one of Sony's 4k TVs.

Luke, many thanks again for the helpful advice and comments. As you'll have gathered, I'm still coming to grips with the functions and capabilities of both the Sony tv and the Humax box, so it was interesting to learn that the is a recording function via a pen-drive. Probably not something I'd use, but you never know. I might give it a shot just to see if that would indeed let me back into the HOME button while viewing via one of the HDMI ports.

When you mention setting repeat 'timers', is that some sort of 'reminder' function within the tv's guide?

Regarding the light colours on the front of the tv, I only recall seeing it glow as 'white' when I switch into or out of Stand-by mode, rather than proper 'colours', but maybe that's because I've never recorded as described above or simply not noticed.

I'll do a bit of experimenting and report back if any progress is made.

Cheers again.

Back