Assume v. Presume

The 'like' is for 'bugger my truss', haven't come across that one before, Trev. Did you make that one up or is it colloquial?

Don't know the origin, but I have been using it for years. I did 26 years in the RAF so perhaps it's one of theirs as a spin off from bugger my old boots and similar.
Now that in itself raises the question as to whether 'theirs' should have an apostrophe or not as it's a possessive. Apparently not.

Indefinite articles don't use an apostrophe to indicate possessives, because there is no plural to be confused with. Just one of those freaks of English we learn to love!

Don't know the origin, but I have been using it for years. I did 26 years in the RAF so perhaps it's one of theirs as a spin off from bugger my old boots and similar.
So long as you don't put it into practice! :eek:

I've been going back through AvP looking for a reference, it's taken 20 minutes so far and I've wet myself three times...

Arrrgghhhh! Somebody interviewed on Breakfast said "use case"!!!

The subject was autonomous vehicles - I won't be convinced until I see one cope with a busy roundabout.

Can't remember exactly, but it was about the various scenarios ("use cases") of application for autonomy.

Off-topic: also on Breakfast they were talking about some kind of government fund to get greater coverage of fibre-to-premises broadband, saying that it allows for the download of entire boxed sets (note: not "box sets") in minutes. 'Scuse me, but some of us (it's not like I'm out in the sticks) don't even have access to fibre-to-street yet!

I cannot think of any domestic need for fibre-to-premises other than video delivery. If that's the case, why should government be funding it from public funds when all it benefits is the ability of media providers to deliver subscription content???

'Scuse me, but some of us (it's not like I'm out in the sticks) don't even have access to fibre-to-street yet!
Since this is the nitpicking thread I have to point out that the correct terminology is fibre-to-the-cabinet (abbreviation: FTTC).

Stroll on! Weather forecast on Breakfast this morning, talking about foggy patches, the visual legend accompanying Matt's commentary said "travel impacts possible"

:rolling:

Back