Assume v. Presume

However, ask for "a pint of cider" and they were mystified - until the penny dropped and the barman enquired: "do you mean apple cider?" (like there's any other kind), and then served only 0.8 pints.
That reminds me of a time I was in a pub in East Anglia quite a long time ago, an American sounding bloke asked for ketchup. The waiting girl replied "Tomato?". The Yank said "Is there any other kind?". The answer is actually yes, there is mushroom ketchup, but I really liked his answer.

It crosses my mind that we are more likely to call it tomato sauce than ketchup, hence the hesitation.

I maintain, however, that there is only cider made from apples - I know there are now other drinks marketed as cider made from pears :sick: , but I don't know why that's different from perry.

Nah, it's red sauce (as compared to the other one, brown sauce).
Always was when I was growing up anyway.

And what does in mean anyway. I believe that there is not usually a box involved (unless you go to your local record shop).

Always thought Sky's box set/boxset adverts were misleading. I would have thought "series" was a better description. I agree with Trev on this one. If you go to HMV and get series 3 of NCIS on DVD - you might say you've obtained the box set of the third series (or season) of NCIS.
If you download from some source - you've downloaded series 3. There is no box. (Afterthought: With Sky don't you download the series and they send you the box set on DVD later?)
Boxset as one word - :sick:.

I imagine it hails from the time of VCR when anything longer than a couple of hours needed two 'tapes' in two boxes that were packed in an encompassing box ... as a set. It's just become ingrained.
I've not thought about it before, but I don't think I ever had 'boxed set' in my head, though I'm sure I must have seen/heard it used. I just think 'box set', but maybe that's just that I think it so fast that the 'ed' becomes silent.
As to 'boxset' ... yes, it does look a bit ugly. I suppose it's an obvious contraction for the lazy. I wonder if we are moving toward German where it seems their 'nouns' are made up of various words strung together with no spaces? Like Eisenbahndampflokomotive.

As to 'boxset' ... yes, it does look a bit ugly. I suppose it's an obvious contraction for the lazy. I wonder if we are moving toward German where it seems their 'nouns' are made up of various words strung together with no spaces? Like Eisenbahndampflokomotive.
B*gg*r! Beat me to it with the German. (Although your choice of word may spark a debate as it also seems to be a contracted two word expression - see https://www.buddelbini.de/nostalgie-schilder/neuheiten/blechschild-orient-express-eisenbahn.html.)
And I thought "box set" was an offence sufficient for hanging as it was!
With the increased poor pronounciation of a certain ordinal number, that I now like to think of as vomitth (6th), how long before boxset becomes boxet and then boket (pronounced bucket)?

"There is no truth to the story that there could be a split between the Prince of Wales and I..."

You would have thought that one of Randy Andy's minions could have told him to put "me" instead of "I" there wouldn't you?
Or maybe not, seeing as SO many people get it wrong. Especially Antipodeans (that's twice I've used that word today!).

Hope you are not talking about Me, Myself and I ... :rolleyes::o_O::cool::eek::whistling:

Back