Assume v. Presume

I'm reasonably content with extremely large, just not very large (or, in the case of helicopters, a little bit more). Prefer unimaginably large though!

Hmm, that would mean I have to excise the word from my lexicon. Better to use it loosely than not at all.

Nah! I can imagine "unimaginably large" as I have an ultra large imagination. :D
Can we imagine the impossible though? What do we really mean when we say we can imagine something? If we imagine the unimaginable, it is imaginable, a contradiction I am sure you had in mind! So, is the term unimaginable meaningless?

Over to you, BH!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we imagine the impossible though?
Definitely. I can imagine things that aren't possible ... actually any Roadrunner cartoon illustrates this :D
But clearly imagining something deemed unimaginable is not possible, though in most cases the term is misapplied. There probably aren't many things that really are unimaginable - 10 dimensional space is probably a contender.

I admit my use of the word "unimaginably" was ill-considered. The concept I am trying to convey is more like "too large to be comprehended in common everyday experience".

I am a bit miffed, however, that you guys are prepared to accept infinite need not literally mean infinite, but miraculous has to mean miraculous. This seems contrary to me (although I am the first to admit being contrary at times myself).

Well, I for one don't accept miraculous as meaning anything, apart from either extremely unusual or not yet explained by science. Is dark energy miraculous?

As for infinite, I agree, its usage is degraded, but I can't think of any alternative, except for not using it at all.

Contrary? You? Surely not! :whistling:

I am a bit miffed, however, that you guys are prepared to accept infinite need not literally mean infinite,
I don't. Infinite means beyond counting or measuring. If something is finite then it's not infinite. 1/0 = infinity; 1/0.0000000000000000001 = finite.

Miraculous (miracle) is in my mind a religious term, therefore not subject to any rigourous definition such as by maths or science.

1/0 = infinity; 1/0.0000000000000000001 = finite.

Miraculous (miracle) is in my mind a religious term, therefore not subject to any rigourous definition such as by maths or science.

1/0 is undefined, not infinity.

Miraculous and any other religious terms are subject to the same rigour as any others, else they are just meaningless, such as guguvvyvyj!

1/0 is undefined, not infinity.
OK. But the point stands that 0 can be repeated an unlimited number of times without reaching 1, or any other value.

Miraculous and any other religious terms are subject to the same rigour as any others, else they are just meaningless, such as guguvvyvyj!
Well, I do agree. From which you can possibly deduce my feelings about religion ... but let's leave it at that :whistling:

Back