Assume v. Presume

I don't have a conversation with my phone and tablet, no¹, but speech to text is built into Android and possibly even iPads.

¹ Maybe when we get to know one another better?

Last edited by a moderator:
After talking to my phone, I have to spend so much time correcting what it thinks it hears that I just type it anyway and try to remember not to be caught out by the auto correct.
Ah! That explains a lot!

Exceeding a legal speed limit is not 'likely to cause accidents', but it is likely to make them more serious if they do happen though.
I disagree. We should all, motorists and otherwise, be allowed to assume that an approaching motorist is not exceeding the speed limit, and act accordingly. If I am crossing a wide road in a 30mph zone nd someone is approaching at 40mph, they are more likely to cause an accident. Similarly if another motorist is trying to pull out, the speeding motorist is likelier to cause a collision. Children or animals are more likely to be hit. Speed limit deniers, in their way, are as dangerous as weather deniers.

Overheard on the radio last night was that a grammatical pedant had rung in to chide the presenter for talking about more than two alternatives. The following presents the case for the alternative view that the pedant was wrong

http://www.macmillandictionaryblog.com/how-many-alternatives-can-there-be
I'm quite happy with several alternatives. "Either" is trickier, but I still don't mind it having several subsequent options because there doesn't seem to be an alternative when trying to express "one of the following" (except to use the phrase "one of the following").

The problem is those who are so steamed up about their own interpretation of proper usage that they are prepared to waste their time phoning up about it!

By definition "either" means one of two. It does not mean one of more than two.
If you want more than two options then what on Earth is wrong with saying e.g. "one of A,B,C or D"?
"Either A,B,C or D" is just wrong.

Says Chambers:
either adj 1 any one of two. 2 each of two • a garden with a fence on either side. pronoun any one of two things or people, etc. adverb, with negatives 1 also; as well • I thought him rather unpleasant, and I didn't like his wife either. 2 what is more; besides • He plays golf, and he's not bad, either. either ... or ... introducing two choices or possibilities • I need either a pen or a pencil. either way or in either case in both of two cases.
ETYMOLOGY: Anglo-Saxon ægther.
Oh, hang on a cotton pickin' minuet, we have already played this one to death somewhere.
Don't dance around the point Trev.

Either A or B or C

is just a shorthand for

Either A or (Either B or C)

It saves one word and two brackets. The disjunction is commutative and associative, so the brackets aren't needed. It is equivalent to

A or B or C

in maths, but English needs the either word to lead in.

That is why I asked above if the alternatives were meant to be mutually exclusive, because, if so, you need xor!

A xor B xor C

Sigh!

I don't give a stuff about Chambers or any other. Rules to be obeyed by the ignorant and as guidelines (not tramlines) for the intelligentsia.

That is why I asked above if the alternatives were meant to be mutually exclusive, because, if so, you need xor!
For my money, "either" implies exclusivity. I don't think the selection operator "or" in language works the same as the truth operator "or" in Boolean logic. Thus "use either lane" does not include "use both lanes".

prpr would object to "use either lane" if he was faced with a choice of three, and not be able to proceed further until somebody painted it out and replaced it with "use any lane"... but I'm not sure whether the Royal Mail lorry would then be OK to straddle the lines.

I don't give a stuff about Chambers or any other. Rules to be obeyed by the ignorant and as guidelines (not tramlines) for the intelligentsia.

So assume and presume can be regarded as synonyms? Glad we sorted that one once and for all!

But I still stand by the set of all synonyms being empty, regardless of whether dictionary definitions can be relied on.

But I still stand by the set of all synonyms being empty, regardless of whether dictionary definitions can be relied on.
Extend the idea of synonym to include phrases too. A dictionary then lists words together with synonymous phrases. Without that, we would never be sure what a word means. (Except by using a pictionary.)

Anyway, in my book, being a synonym is reflexive, so the list of synonyms of a word necessarily includes the word itself.

Back