Assume v. Presume

Cruft is a jargon word for anything that is left over, redundant and getting in the way. It is used particularly for defective, superseded, useless, superfluous, or dysfunctional...
Just realised that part seems to apply to me. ;)
You could almost use it as a word to replace that tired phrase "bed blockers". :whistling:

Perhaps that is why the dog show is called that to reflect its love of animals with all the best bits bred out of them?

Spotted yesterday on the BBC's text pages (can't find an equivalent on the website):
page1.jpgpage2.jpg
Really! "Carbon monoxide used in Coca Cola shock". Frozen food kept cool by CO!
Poor journalism or bad editing?

Assuming they meant CO2 , it begs the question - how can there be too much CO2 causing global warming, but not enough for my fizzy drink?

Last edited:
There's been a load of this, including the CO2 causing a shortage of chicken (apparently it's used to anaesthetise them before slaughter). I have an action (amongst some mates) to find out exactly why there is a shortage and report back.

Yeah, the incorrect use of chemical symbols is terrible, like saying "degrees Kelvin".

He says it isn't true! When on a chat show, he said the chicken flew (not very well, as chickens do) into the crowd who tore it limb from limb. Cooper comes over as quite a nice bloke, and who would have guessed Toyah Willcox would turn out to be into gardening and stuff like that?

That would be even more apt if she wasn't in fact into gardening and only presented it as a public image.

Something which appeals to my infantile humour - but which the journalists must have been aware of:
NottinghamLocalNews said:
The council’s Cabinet passed a motion last month ....
Too much information! Any connection to Boris and polishing a :poop: ?
Surely there must be a better way of describing winning a vote.
BTW wish I'd a camera with me when I walked past a van with "Boris Removals" on the side. Thought it might be an omen. ;)

Something which appeals to my infantile humour - but which the journalists must have been aware of:

Too much information! Any connection to Boris and polishing a :poop: ?
Surely there must be a better way of describing winning a vote.
BTW wish I'd a camera with me when I walked past a van with "Boris Removals" on the side. Thought it might be an omen. ;)

It must have been a self drive van hire service then

The difference between this and that is ...
The differences between this and that are ...
The differences between these and those are ...

But

The difference between these and those is / are ... ?

Why are the names of tablets so difficult to pronounce?
Had to accompany my mother to a hospital appointment (cardiac out-patients).
"What tablets are you taking?" asked the nurse. Of course my mother didn't know, so I got out the repeat prescription form and read out the names. By the sound of it I got the pronounciation of each tablet wrong. :eek:
Clopidogrel - to me looks like a cloppy dog rel - but no - kloh PID oh grel.
Bisoprolol - biso pro lol - NO - BIS oh PROE lol. ( Either way :D )
Furosemide and Atorvastatin - might have pronounced these almost correctly.
And how many people pronounce Aspirin as asprin? I know I do. :oops:
As for nifedipine, it was on the prescription as Coracten. Now how am I supposed to know that is the trade name? If the GP prescribes Coracten, you'd think that would be a generic name, wouldn't you. Ye gods! You have to keep your wits about you.

Back