Assume v. Presume

"Plastic: How It Works", comparing steel with carbon fibre composite. The scientist (presenter) said "three and a bit times lighter", the engineer said "less than a third the weight". Apparently the engineering fraternity have not yet heard of the Wa.

Yes hello chaps sorry for not being around sooner I was busy all weekend melding my insides with a particularly generous Stella Artois offer from Tesco :confused:

This is just the sort of stuff I like (although I wont pretend I understand all of it) but I am in favour of the Wally. I will immediatley start hammering google for it on a regular basis and maybe add it to my list of search terms on my ongoing quest to advertise hummy.tv

This phrase "inverse weight unit" - currently 5th placed result on google!!!! That's higher than "HDR Fox T2"

It's now at number three above "equivalent weight" in the Wiki. Wow, how's that for acceptance? We will have to play Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin next. Try this on for size.

Aw, c'mon you guys. Just ranking high for a specific search term doesn't mean many people are actually searching for it!

It would be a hell of a laugh if they did. I could put a spoof article on Wikipedia I suppose - any rules against?

If anyone spots it, they'll take it down. I think that so long as you put a citation required, you can put up any old bull. C'mon, let's start a revolution. Power to the people as Woolfie would say. Come the revolution, we'll all be measured in units of lightness greater than one.

There are only just enough apostrophes to go around. If people keep putting them in the wrong places there won't be any left to put them where they belong. :D

It's just it's feminine side coming out. You know you will give in in the end. Save some time and do it now!

:rolleyes: I'm not going rounding up errant apostrophes, I had enough trouble when a pip went missing. If iOS insists on adding diacriticals behind my back I take no responsibility!

Back down to No. 5 now.
What am I missing about these apostrophe's then. I can't see any incorrectly used.:disagree:

This is one of the many irregularities of English. When an "s" is added to nouns or proper nouns to denote the possessive case (eg John's ball) the apostrophe indicates the possession so the noun effectively becomes an adjective. However, when it is an indefinite article the possessive case has no apostrophe, so the ball belonging to it is "its ball" (similarly his, hers etc).

"It's" is only a contraction of "it is".

I have long been annoyed that my iTouch always tries to correct "its" to "it's", but I notice iOS 5.1 (on my new pet iPad3 :D ) is doing some kind of grammar check and having a reasonable stab at the right one!

There's another one used up. The Apostrophe is used to indicate missing letters not plurals.

There's another one used up. The Apostrophe is used to indicate missing letters not plurals.
Do you think that I didn't know that and perhaps did it on purp'se:hug:
The incorrect use of the "'", especially when used in a plural annoy's me as well.

I spotted a proper signwritten painted sign on a hotel in Devon, probably still there now:

"10, Ensuite Rooms" (sic)

Back