Assume v. Presume

Alice in Wonderland certainly contains quotations within quotations. I don't recall the one you mentioned. :)

I was referring to the Alice in Who TF is Alice, not some godam fairy story. But I can't just lay my hand on the exact quote just right now.

I belong to an American Square Dance club and the song is used quite often. Even some of our mature lady members will ask the unexpugated question when it comes around. :)

WHAT?????

laughter.gif

You ASDs don't 'arf know how to live. Complete eye opener!

(Watch out folks, '291 has discovered how to insert video)

How did you do that? When I first looked at your post I saw the complete set of smilies.

Couple of points. Quotation marks should, I believe, be used to quote actual speech, usually from a third party, hence the alternative name - speech marks.

Whatever ;)

The visual equivalent, when the speaker uses two fingers on each hand to draw SPEECH MARKS in the air... why do they do it twice????

I suppose you know the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything and don't give me that old 42 BS either.

"Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to take you down to the bridge explain how to install the custom firmware. Call that job satisfaction? 'Cos I don't."

"I'd give you advice, but you wouldn't listen. No one ever does."

Y'know what I think we're onto something here - has BH let slip his true identity!! The likeness is uncanny :D

Just get on with it. "Lets all go to the car park." And do what? "Park cars. What else dum-dum?"
Geez, this is not easy to keep up with. Where to after HHGTTG?
I know, let's talk about Foxsat HDRs. Where's the icon for the red card?

Just found this somewhere or other "Can't someone please fix online shipping, already?" Why don't they want someone to fix it? But at least the apostrophe is in the right place :)

I always felt that Deep Thought had an early Pentium chip with a dud FP co-processor. At best, 42 is controversial; at worst it's the result of cumulative rounding errors.

Early Pentiums were at least two-and-a-half times as inaccurate as later models.:D

The Washington Post today reports that after decades of controversy, America's AP Stylebook has accepted that the word 'hopefully' can mean 'it is hoped' or 'we hope' as well as the only previously accepted meaning 'in a hopeful manner'.

You have to love the WP: they announce this world-changing event with the headline: 'One less linguistic battle..."hopefully".' Spot the irony.

Back