Audio hiccups on BBC One HD recordings

I got the same response on both multichannel and stereo with the Humax box, but the same glitches are evident on the TV tuner and it's own speakers

Another thought; what Audio output setting are you using (Multichannel or Stereo) ?

Stereo: if I set it to multichannel the volume control on the Humax ceases to have any effect and we've have to control it through the TV all the time.

I haven't tried setting it to multichannel. However, I can report a definite result!!! with the test I did this morning recording BBC 1 Scotland HD on both the Hummy (taking its signal from Craigkelly) and my computer (taking its signal from Black Hill). There is a clear audio hiccup on both recordings at the exactly the same point in the programme. That must surely rule out my aerials or equipment as sources of the problem, and put the onus firmly back on the BBC to sort it out?

Last edited:
Famous last words, but the hour or so of BBC1 Scot HD that I watched, live or recorded, appeared to be free from the audio glitches. In any event, as it happened with the TV tuner also, it doesn't look like this was anything to do with the Humax box. Before coming to this thread, I can across a similar incident, from 2018, on a Virgin Media forum (i.e. so not aerial based), which seemed to come and go in a shorter time period. Maybe depends on who's doing the encoding at BBC Scotland.

Last edited:
The issue appears to be resolved, which I have informed the BBC about through an update to the complaint. But I also asked then whether this is something they have fixed knowingly i.e. identified the cause and then modified, or whether the 'fix' is something they were unaware of doing, in which case it could easily happen again.

I agree that the problem seems to have gone away: the two episodes of Dublin Murders this week were glitch-free, as was Antiques Roadshow on Sunday, and various other BBC 1 Scotland HD shows over the past few days. As you say, it's not clear - because there's been zero feedback from the BBC themselves* - whether this is because of deliberate remedial action on their part, or it just "fixed itself". If it does happen again, at least we'll have this past history to call upon when complaining to the BBC about it.

* I've just re-read the automated response I got from the BBC to my reception complaint. It was dated 25th October and stated: "we will hope to reply to you within 5 working days". I reckon that gives them until Thursday this week...

will hope
Will hope? That's future intention, not current intention, so goodness knows how long they hope to respond in at the moment.

I reckon that gives them until Thursday this week...
No promise of that whatsoever, and anyway I reckon you've complained on a feedback channel for the website - I've never found anywhere to ask Engineering what's going on, otherwise I would have been pestering them about DAB and FM drop-outs along the M4.

I reckon you've complained on a feedback channel for the website

I believe you're thinking of the response that Born Cynic quoted. Mine had the subject line "BBC Reception Advice - Case number XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXX" and stated: "This is an automated email confirming we have received your submission via the Radio and Television Investigation Service diagnostic tool." I had to jump through a fair few hoops (confirming that I'd switched it off and on again, retuned it* and so forth) before I got to the point where it would actually let me describe the symptoms of the fault I was experiencing.

* Full disclosure: I hadn't. But I had already confirmed that it was tuned to the correct multiplex, so retuning to the same multiplex would have been unlikely to have achieved anything beyond wasting my time.

Hold on to your butts, got a response, within the '20 working days' stated.
"Thank you for contacting us again about the sound glitching problem.
I'm happy to confirm our engineers did locate the source of the problem to a faulty card at the coding end of the broadcast chain. It was eventually fixed on Saturday 2nd November.
I would just like to thank you for the detailed information you provided, the first time you contacted us. This was very helpful.
On behalf of all of the team, here, I'm sorry this fault spoilt your enjoyment of our programmes."

"Thank you for contacting us again about the sound glitching problem.
I'm happy to confirm our engineers did locate the source of the problem to a faulty card at the coding end of the broadcast chain. It was eventually fixed on Saturday 2nd November.
I would just like to thank you for the detailed information you provided, the first time you contacted us. This was very helpful.
On behalf of all of the team, here, I'm sorry this fault spoilt your enjoyment of our programmes."
Well done and glad that you have demonstrated that the BBC do reply (at least some times).

Back