Audio through "hi fi" amp

dragnil

Simple answers please as this technophobe has been left in the 1990s (or earlier!). I've been using this Hummy for some years and am still very happy with it.
I've just replaced the amp in my music system and the new one has 2 SPDIF input sockets. One is used for the CD player and I was wondering whether to connect the TV or Hummy to the other with a long under-carpet optical cable, but I need to know if it's feasible.
The music system is very simple, just 2 speakers, none of this modern surround stuff, so here's the question:
Is it as simple as connecting the SPDIF port on the Hummy to the amplifier and then muting the TV? I rarely use the TV as a tuner, almost always we are watching via the Hummy.
Thanks, in advance, and as I said please keep it simple for this simple bloke!
Regards,
David

Is it as simple as connecting the SPDIF port on the Hummy to the amplifier and then muting the TV?
Yes.

Do you have your Hi-Fi speakers positioned either side of the TV? If not, are you happy to have the sound coming from somewhere different than the picture?

If the TV passes the digital audio from the Hummy HDMI connection to its optical out then it is more flexible to connect the optical cable to the TV. If the music system also has a spare analogue audio input (eg RCA red and white sockets) then a secondary analogue connection between Hummy and hi-fi can be useful, for example if you want to listen to a Freeview radio station without having the TV turned on.

Is it as simple as connecting the SPDIF port on the Hummy to the amplifier and then muting the TV?
Yep, that's what I do, except I use the SPDIF output port on the TV, then the audio follows whatever input you have selected on the TV.
I wouldn't go back to copper connections with all the associated earth loop/hum type grief.

Thanks to you all, I'll now have the confidence to buy a length of optical string ;o) and my speakers are either side of the TV so the sound will be "natural".

Back