Aura UHD android TV recorder November launch

Presuming you are being serious, it's not likely to be a neutrino which does that (neutrinos having zero charge and very tiny interaction cross sections). Cosmic rays maybe. In the early days of ICs, alpha particles from the plastic encapsulation was a problem.

Presuming you are being serious, it's not likely to be a neutrino which does that (neutrinos having zero charge and very tiny interaction cross sections). Cosmic rays maybe. In the early days of ICs, alpha particles from the plastic encapsulation was a problem.
Not being serious at all. Used to be our fall back answer to any computer problem when, to paraphrase Sherlock Holmes, we had eliminated every other possibility.

As you probably know, scientists spend a lot of money, time and effort building neutrino detectors with the likes of large deep caves filled with exotic materials but have very little success registering any hits. Our mainframe certainly had more than its fair share! :D

I am not displeased with it, just sad that Humax still has freeze problems after all this time. Plus, they virtually have a monopoly on this sort of box. What rivals are there? Manhattan and Panasonic?

The market is possibly small, with TVs having smart features built in? I prefer recordings, but maybe I am a dinosaur.

Sorry, sabre-toothed squirrel.

The market is possibly small, with TVs having smart features built in? I prefer recordings,
You are not the only one. I don't have the bandwidth, or the money to stream every damned programme I might want to watch. Some channels don't stream anyway. Give me a (free to air) recording any day.

And save them to another disk to be played whenever. Or fill up another disk and never watch them again - my choice not the broadcasters. :D

You get to an age where you set the bar very high to bother saving anything you have recorded to watch again. There being only so many viewing hours left in what remains of your life time! :eek:

Not quite got there. But I have got too many duplicate copies of things floating around. Some where a pop up comes on at the beginning to tell you to "catch up". Some where there is a pop up "next". And then there's those with screwed up ends. I was going to pick the best or replace the crap in one from another - I'm not sure I can be bothered!

You get to an age where you set the bar very high to bother saving anything you have recorded to watch again. There being only so many viewing hours left in what remains of your life time! :eek:

We have 420Gb of free space on our original FoxT2.

I've actually turned my FOX off at the mains for now because I'm not recording anything for me.

SWMBO's is still recording more than she can watch - slowly filling her 2TB disk.
The joint (satellite) box is only recording two programmes a week which we both want (HIGNFY and HDM).

I have been watching a couple of Netflix series but I've just about had enough of them now. There are lots of things there I do enjoy but I've watched them all up to date.
We have free Amazon Prime currently, so I had a look at that ... but there's nothing in there for me either. (I did watch the first episode or two of a couple of things, but they weren't good enough to pull me in.)

We have DVDs, but like Netflix I've watched most of them recently enough (e.g. I watched the entire Buffy and Angel sets over the summer in the correct timeline order) to not want to start over again yet.

I'm watching more YouTube than anything else for now :confused:

I've actually turned my FOX off at the mains for now because I'm not recording anything for me.

SWMBO's is still recording more than she can watch - slowly filling her 2TB disk.
The joint (satellite) box is only recording two programmes a week which we both want (HIGNFY and HDM).

I have been watching a couple of Netflix series but I've just about had enough of them now. There are lots of things there I do enjoy but I've watched them all up to date.
We have free Amazon Prime currently, so I had a look at that ... but there's nothing in there for me either. (I did watch the first episode or two of a couple of things, but they weren't good enough to pull me in.)

We have DVDs, but like Netflix I've watched most of them recently enough (e.g. I watched the entire Buffy and Angel sets over the summer in the correct timeline order) to not want to start over again yet.

I'm watching more YouTube than anything else for now :confused:
Yes there is not so much going on but it's always like this near to Christmas. There are loads of new series coming soon. A second season of Pennyworth is about to start, much better than it sounds on paper ( Back story of Batmans butler Alfred ), it plays a bit like a 60's Michael Caine London gangster movie. I have been watching the second season of Warrior, an idea Bruce Lee tried to get made based on Chinese gangs at the turn of the century in San Francisco. I am even enjoying the much slated Star Trek Discovery but the one I am waiting for most Is the Lord of the Rings TV series. I recently read that Disney are planning to make 10 more Star wars spin off series but I feel that all the hype The Mandalorian is getting is not justified so not excited about those.

One problem with Prime is that you start watching a series and suddenly they make it paid, or remove it.

Voyage of the Continents was wonderful, I watched it end to end and planned to watch it again. Last time I looked, it was unavailable. (I lost an acorn there somewhere.)

Edit: it's back!

Edit: now gone without a trace.

Last edited by a moderator:
My box reliably records provided you only use active sby. It currently has a issue with low power sby )< 0.5w). If you go into long push standby while a recording is under way it dumps the recording. If it wakes up from low power sby to make a recording it fails to go back to low power sby. Humax are aware of this issue.

The Kovid situation in South Korea is not helping in sorting out this bug.

The promised aura app is not yet in playstore for android. You can however access the box from a PC and download recordings that can be played on other kit like say VLC on a PC.

I haven't used anything but active standby. Both freezes occurred using that.

I haven't tried access from a PC. Is there a media server or just a share?

Thanks, Graham. I suppose convert creates a very low quality version for use on phones?

Just tried it on my phone, impressive. Hit Start Transcoding on the phone and a recording played on my phone.

Back