Aura UHD android TV recorder November launch

you can decide you want an industry standard calibration and put up with it, or you can decide you would like the colours a bit more brilliant, or a lot more brilliant (or even more muted). It's the personal choice of the owner.
I suppose so, but when you go to the cinema, do you see the film as the director intended (and trust that they did their jobs properly), or do you get to bugger about with the brightness, contrast and colour etc.?
Why should this be different for TV? Perhaps they wanted it to look bleak and washed out (or whatever), and the punters have just ruined it by cranking up the colour.

Works for me too and my new TV is on the list, fibre b/band kicks in tomorrow so it will be a 4k HDM this week for sure. The TV has several presets for brightness, contrast and colour etc including one for movies to view as the director intended and another thats used for shop display thats not recommended in reviews for home use as its too harsh, hopefully one will give me black blacks and red reds whilst leaving skin tones natural or I will certainly be tweeking it myself.

The TV has several presets for brightness, contrast and colour etc including one for movies to view as the director intended and another thats used for shop display thats not recommended in reviews for home use as its too harsh
The problem is that you watch in a cinema that is dark. Shops are usually brightly lit and living rooms are somewhere in between. That ambient light changes the blacks to grey and alters the colour balances hitting your eyes.
I like to watch everything in the dark (when the screen goes black you can't distinguish it from the wall it's on) but SWMBO insists on having lights on even for programmes I know will have significant dark scenes where the room illumination will drown out much of the detail.

I'd think that most TV programmes are made with average living room lighting in mind, but then again they completely f*** the sound up a lot of the time, so anything is possible. Industry standards ... :rolling:

The problem is that you watch in a cinema that is dark. Shops are usually brightly lit and living rooms are somewhere in between. That ambient light changes the blacks to grey and alters the colour balances hitting your eyes.
I like to watch everything in the dark (when the screen goes black you can't distinguish it from the wall it's on) but SWMBO insists on having lights on even for programmes I know will have significant dark scenes where the room illumination will drown out much of the detail.

I'd think that most TV programmes are made with average living room lighting in mind, but then again they completely f*** the sound up a lot of the time, so anything is possible. Industry standards ... :rolling:
Somewhere in the 242 page manual they mention a sensor that detects light levels in the room and adjusts for that so hopefully that will solve some of those issues or bixby/alexa will be getting some expletives shouted down the remote.

they mention a sensor that detects light levels in the room
Our TV has some reference to such a thing too, but I've not noticed it. At best it may change the brightness, but there is nothing it could do to regain the lost dark levels that light and/or reflections on the screen cause.

These days I feel that if something is worth watching it's worth watching in the best conditions (dark). If IMO it's not worth watching I turn it off - which is why I watch so little these days.

But you said:

The BBC says:

If UHD isn't 4K, you're splitting hairs. My UHD monitor is 3840x2160.

Not at all HDR is way superior to ordinary 2160p . Is it Dolby Vision or HLG capable ? Have you a 4K HDR optical drive that can play 4K - HDR disks ?

The test content when it was available was amazing.

There is currently no 4K sources on iplayer. When there was it was HLG HDR so viewed on a 4K TV with HLG capability of course it looks superb (not quite up to a 4K-HDR bluray though.
Not at all HDR is way superior to ordinary 2160p . Is it Dolby Vision or HLG capable ? Have you a 4K HDR optical drive that can play 4K - HDR disks ?

The test content when it was available was amazing.
Graham, the content mentioned in post #254 is in HLG HDR.

Does that mean there is currently 4k sources available on iPlayer?
So once again glt won't..... or are we going into hr semantics of 4k v UHD?
Strange that I am, as I type, watching Blue Planet in 4K/UHD using my 4k Firestick having used Brian's techneque. :frantic:
Where's that puzzled emoticon when you need it.
But I can't be, because "there is currently no 4k in iPlayer"

None of them is 4K HLG. Read my post again that specifically quoted HDR content.
I did. That's not what you said, which was:
"There is currently no 4K sources on iplayer. When there was it was HLG HDR so..."

You're at odds with yourself, so I guess this is you trying to weasel out now, rather than just admitting you were wrong.

Please note the full stop that ends the first statement that refers to 4k and completely separates it from the second sentence that refers HLG HDR. Both sentences are completely unambiguous. The first is wrong and the second was correctish.

I've skipped from page 1 to page 14 on this thread so of course I've missed comments,
but does the Aura allow downloading ofr decrypted telly programmes to pc through router? (like my foxT2) ??

This is not relevant. You are being challenged on your statement that there are no 4K downloads available from iPlayer, when clearly there are. Your replies indicate you are either confused about the difference between UHD and HDR, or haven't read the posts properly (including your own).

Last edited:
Back