Aura UHD android TV recorder November launch

I just want a modern PVR that does 1080ish and can be hacked to shove stuff onto my PCs,
this Aura looks like ... not that.

This thread has gone widely off-topic and really needs splitting

I've skipped from page 1 to page 14 on this thread so of course I've missed comments,
but does the Aura allow downloading ofr decrypted telly programmes to pc through router? (like my foxT2) ??
Not AFAIK,

If you want to access full quality recordings on other boxes you need to look at devices like the Vbox and HD Homerun, which don't have built in disks but can stream unencrypted recordings to NAS devices etc,
There are threads for both on the hummy forums.

Thanks Myms, but it needs to be a PVR with internal disk.
Why? You can record to an SD card with the vbox, add an external USB drive or use network storage,
Even adding your own disk it will cost less than the price of the Aura, a small external disk seems a small hardship.

I think licensing requires PVR manufacturers to encrypt HD recordings but manufacturers of streaming devices don't have to.
The vbox doesn't support Accurate recording but I think will be more flexible than the Aura.

Why? You can record to an SD card with the vbox, add an external USB drive or use network storage,
Even adding your own disk it will cost less than the price of the Aura, a small external disk seems a small hardship.

I think licensing requires PVR manufacturers to encrypt HD recordings but manufacturers of streaming devices don't have to.
The vbox doesn't support Accurate recording but I think will be more flexible than the Aura.
If a Vbox + external drive will do it, job done. I'll have to look into it.

I just want a modern PVR that does 1080ish and can be hacked to shove stuff onto my PCs,
Hacked is probably the operative word as you are butting heads with the HD content protection. There is unlikely to ever be a simple, legitimate solution.

And as PVRs seem to be going out of fashion in favour of streaming it's unlikely^2.

Muhahaha I'd have thought by 2020 (a full fifty six years since the FoxT2) we had some alternatives :D

Enigma 2 based boxes with DVB-T2 and DVB-S2 multiple tuners can do all that. They are a tad complex and the really capable ones are expensive. Since neither are freeview or freesat certified there is no requirement to encrypt a FTA stream when saving it to disk. So perfectly legal to own and use. Pair the SVB-S2 with a dscr lnb many multiple streams can be recorded in a similar way to a Sky-Q box. You can also freely stream live and recorded content in full quality.

Enigma 2 based boxes with DVB-T2 and DVB-S2 multiple tuners can do all that. They are a tad complex and the really capable ones are expensive. Since neither are freeview or freesat certified there is no requirement to encrypt a FTA stream when saving it to disk. So perfectly legal to own and use. Pair the SVB-S2 with a dscr lnb many multiple streams can be recorded in a similar way to a Sky-Q box. You can also freely stream live and recorded content in full quality.
I know nothing of such magic devices, do you have a link to a discussion somewhere?

I believe Enigma is an operating system to turn standard PC hardware into a PVR (or some such), alternative to Kodi. It's been mentioned a couple of times but not in detail. We have a dedicated section of the forum for such discussions: https://hummy.tv/forum/forums/diy-pvr-building.55/

No it's not it's an advanced version of Android. It's nothing to do with PC's

Like other android kit (including the Aura) it can run Kodi. Enigma 2 boxes can combine recordings from satellite and terrestial into a single recordings list.

eg

Last edited:
I believe Enigma is an operating system to turn standard PC hardware into a PVR (or some such), alternative to Kodi. It's been mentioned a couple of times but not in detail. We have a dedicated section of the forum for such discussions: https://hummy.tv/forum/forums/diy-pvr-building.55/

No it's not it's an advanced version of Android. It has nothing to do with a PC.

eg

Before you add the second tuner module and hard disk, but they generously throw in an HDMI lead and a plug :doublethumbsup:

Someone asked for an all singing and dancing solution. No one said it would be cheap. What other boxes can record from 8 different satellite transponders at the same time using just two cable except possibly a Sky-Q box that costs a fortune to rent and you do not even own it.

Frankly your posts are stupid. These fulfil the brief (of course they aren't going to be cheap).

There are other boxes in the range that are much cheaper that would work for many. It's clear you are too lazy (or stupid) to check what is available. Stop wasting my time. You can lead a horse to water etc .

The V box I have is much cheaper of course. It does go a long way to toward the brief. Add kodi to the aura it can play back the V box recordings on it's hdmi connections. A PC with kodi can do the same. etc.

Back