Aura UHD android TV recorder November launch

For me, the user interface is important. I’m still using my trusty Humax HDR-Fox T2 as the menu navigation is just so intuitive. If the Aura is as quick then I may be sold. If the menu navigation however is as clunky as the FVP-4000T then count me out.

For me, the user interface is important. I’m still using my trusty Humax HDR-Fox T2 as the menu navigation is just so intuitive. If the Aura is as quick then I may be sold. If the menu navigation however is as clunky as the FVP-4000T then count me out.
Custom firmware? I posted recently on the 5000 thread that I was surprised & disappointed at how little the UI had evolved since the T2. None of the goodies from the custom firmware had been adopted, not even a basic file management structure. Although the images posted in this thread are old, I really hope it's moved on.

All I can say is that if they follow the market trend navigation will be poor. The functions available for navigating within a recording on SkyQ are crap.

From the photos it doesn't look as though there is an option to move recordings into a "keep' area which is a shame as I know the Manhattan T3-R has that feature. I nearly pulled the trigger on one of those until I read about the Aura as I was willing to sacrifice the 3rd tuner for a machine that had a much speedier interface.

Looks like a good machine and good to see they are using the coloured Kays again.

Thought about putting in a pre-order, but I think I will wait for hands-on reviews before I do that.

The aura has 3 tuners.

So does the FVP-5000T so recording capability should be similar if not identical

The aura has 3 tuners.

So does the FVP-5000T so recording capability should be similar if not identical

The Manhattan T3-R does not have 3 tuners. " I was willing to sacrifice the 3rd tuner for a machine that had a much speedier interface." I assume like myself that Steppy is waiting to see if the Aura has an interface less dire than the 5000T before deciding as 3 tuners are less important than a slow crappy interface to him.

The Manhattan T3-R does not have 3 tuners. " I was willing to sacrifice the 3rd tuner for a machine that had a much speedier interface." I assume like myself that Steppy is waiting to see if the Aura has an interface less dire than the 5000T before deciding as 3 tuners are less important than a slow crappy interface to him.

Yes exactly, what I was getting at was that I was willing to sacrifice the 3rd tuner of my 4000 for the much speedier interface of the Manhattan even though it only has two tuners. I knew how I meant it to come out in my head and here's hoping the Aura is much more snappy than the 4000/5000 :D

Yes exactly, what I was getting at was that I was willing to sacrifice the 3rd tuner of my 4000 for the much speedier interface of the Manhattan even though it only has two tuners. I knew how I meant it to come out in my head and here's hoping the Aura is much more snappy than the 4000/5000 :D
It read perfectly clearly to me :). I just posted for the benefit of those who seemed to have got the wrong end of the stick.

Youtube review
Impressive box. Impressive review, although I think it's a bit false to complain about its gaming credentials - it's never going to compete with a serious gaming box, and anybody serious about gaming will have a serious gaming box. Casual games one might play on a phone, or fun party games, are all one might want, and it seems fine for that.

I don't see screen mirroring mentioned - that would be a nice-to-have feature (or maybe it's built into Chromecast, or as an app).

If I had a UHD TV and a UHD capable broadband, I might even be tempted (despite, no doubt, severe limitations on export - which was an attraction of the HDR-FOX back in the day).

It seems a bit of a limitation to have three tuners but only be able to record four simultaneous streams. I'm thinking maybe the third tuner is reserved for live and timeshift, so that there is no user confusion over which services can be watched live. On the other hand, only having two tuners to record up to four streams would itself be a limitation...

It seems a bit of a limitation to have three tuners but only be able to record four simultaneous streams. I'm thinking maybe the third tuner is reserved for live and timeshift, so that there is no user confusion over which services can be watched live. On the other hand, only having two tuners to record up to four streams would itself be a limitation...
I suspect that the Aura is the same as the HDR-5000T with respect to how many, and also which, channels can be recorded/watched at the same time. The HDR-5000T can record from 3 different muxes at the same time which means that recording can take place on all 3 tuners and none are reserved for the sole use of live and timeshift.

Someone has left a not so good review on Richer Sounds. I think I will wait for a few more reviews on youtube before I bite the bullet....
Edit** for both the 1TB and 2TB versions.

Also some poor reviews on the 2TB version

All are complaining about the iplayer not working - so Humax seem to have hurt themselves by not fixing the certificate on their newest boxes

Back