Aura UHD android TV recorder November launch

Had to restart it this evening. No picture or sound on Live TV. The recordings list showed up, UI fine, but the LiveTV app was showing nothing. Tried disconnecting HDMI cables but no luck.

That's good news. Can't see it in my Google Play store - can you post some screenshots of it running to give us all a preview?
++UPDATE++ Got it. First impressions are positive......

Tested several recordings. Replays recordings made on the HD channels . Presumably recodes on the fly. Live TV works also works on all channels. Main snag is unit cannot wake the unit and until it's fully on you can't do anything. I like to watch Breakfast on BBC- ever morning as I ablute. I have been using a Vbox for this. Going to try a series watch recording, hopefully this will wake the box from full sby. Small snag Reminder does not have a series option. So set a full series recording for breakfast.

Last edited:
Small snag Reminder does not have a series option.
We're used to that though, perhaps it's part of the general specifications. I use a manual timer set for weekdays (HDR-FOX), but I think it was said further up the Aura doesn't have manual timers.

We're used to that though, perhaps it's part of the general specifications. I use a manual timer set for weekdays (HDR-FOX), but I think it was said further up the Aura doesn't have manual timers.
Correct it does not. Nor a timed power on off option.

The app epg needs either a SD/HD filter or to be able to jump from lcn 1 to 101. It's quite a long way to scroll to get to the main HD channels. entering the lcn does work on the main box epg.

After setting a Series Recording BBC1-HD Breakfast, I put the box in long push sby. I was able to watch Breakfast Live from 07:00 using the ON Now option. So you can access the box remotely if a recording has woken up the box.

Had to restart it this evening. No picture or sound on Live TV. The recordings list showed up, UI fine, but the LiveTV app was showing nothing. Tried disconnecting HDMI cables but no luck.
Same for me. Happened after watching some YouTube vids - not sure if there is a pattern/connection

Currently the Aura app is not yet released. This will let you view the downloaded recordings on the device with the app on. Schedule recordings from the guide and hopefully remote scheduling. The box already has remote scheduling capability. Not tried as due to lockdown not been away from home, so no point at the present time.

Hmm. I'll definitely hang fire until that's released, see what it can do.

No netflix (licencing limitation) but has Amazon Prime. Not an issue for me as i have a 4K firestick.

All Android TV devices have a built in chromecast device including the Aura. So lots of other kit can cast to the built in chromecast.
So, I could use Netflix on my laptop and 'cast it to the Aura? That could work, especially as I have the Get_Iplayer PVR working nicely.

No it jumps to the bottom of the epg list. If you are at the top of the epg there no other channels to go up to. If you aren't at the top of the epg up just goes up to the channel above where you are. Like the poster who wanted this to happen in the recordings list. Pressing down again once jumps back to the top of the epg. Channel 001 BBC1- SD is the lowest channel number and the epg is displayed lowest to highest as normal. so on 0001 there is no channel 000 to go up to (up in the epg is going down in channel numbers).

It's not rocket science to make it wrap around. The fact that there's no 000 is neither here nor there.

It's not rocket science to make it wrap around. The fact that there's no 000 is neither here nor there.

And your point Is ? I did not design the UI. Merely answering a question.. As it happens a major new software update has been uploaded in the last couple of days. If someone asks nicely I can check it again.

It's not rocket science to make it wrap around.
It might be. Things like pick lists will be a standard feature available to apps through the API, and if the standard pick list doesn't wrap around - that's the end of the story.

For example: the channel shortcuts pick list on the HDR-FOX WebIF Virtual Remote, implemented using Jim/Tcl, doesn't wrap around.

It wraps on directiondown but not on pagedown

Last edited by a moderator:
So, does my box freeze every time there is a software update?

Taking the View-HD channels filter off to start at channel 1. It stops at channel 733 using channel up down TWR Inspire with no wrap. However there is so many channels to scroll through it's a waste of time. Pressing the down key Under OK wraps back to 001

Red EPG Filters ALL, TV, HDTV, Radio

Green offers Sort by Channel Number or By Channel Name plus any Favourite Groups you may have setup. See later - You can set up to 50 channels in five groups

Yellow lets you jump to any day within the current epg reach

Blue Has A list of genres that searches the epg. Movie, News and Factual, Sport, Childrens, Entertainment, Education, Lifestyle adult, Drama. Audio described and signed.

In Freeview Play Settings - Favourite Channels Lets you set up to 5 Favourite channel groups. (10 channels per Group)

The major bug in using Low Power Sby is fixed. Formerly Using long push sby (long push of power) - OK which engages long push sby when pvr activity allows terminated current recordings, also waking from low power sby to make a scheduled recording failed to return to low power sby.

Short push of power goes into active sby. In active sby you get an instant return to LIVE TV etc. Power up from full takes approx 1-2 minutes and reloads android as part of the process.

Good news for many. The UI is way faster than the FVP models. No doubt due to the quad core fast processor.
It wraps on directiondown but not on pagedown

So does the Aura

But last night, BBC iPlayer failed to play back The Investigation from the EPG or directly. That was previously working.

I switched to another box, a Roku, and played it without problems.

Back