Aura UHD android TV recorder November launch

And another thing. This box seems to have no live buffer.
Mine certainly does. Like the other Humax boxes if it was tuned to a channel when the programme started, you can start a recording that contains all the so far buffered content and continues to the programme. end.

Maybe, but what about live pause?
Of course that's what the buffer creates. It take a few seconds after changing channels to build up enough buffer before live pause works.

You can leverage buffering of the live channel to allow recording all 5 HD channels on PSB 3 despite only having 3 tuners. Set any 4 of the the channels as a normal recording. Set a 5th as a reminder any time within the total normal recording window. The box will switch to live viewing the channel chosen creating a buffer containing the programme start. At any time press the instant record button. Voila you have the 5th channel recording. This of course relies on one of the 4 finishing recording before the end of the 5th programme.

Ah, I get it. Bl00dy UHD! It has to set up a different buffer size when you change channel, which means there is a delay, rather than setting up a fixed buffer large enough for an HD (a HD?) recording of 2 hours.

So when Mrs Scrat says "there's a program just started on channel yyy," and I switch to it and pause it so she can get some acorns, I should really be hitting the record button instead.

If I am warned in advance, I pre-record most things we watch anyway.

Set timers to record everything even if you plan to watch live. Occasional exceptions are BBC programmes where you can start recoding late and use the iPlayer "Watch from start" feature to catch the start on your phone or tablet.

So when Mrs Scrat says "there's a program just started on channel yyy," and I switch to it and pause it so she can get some acorns, I should really be hitting the record button instead.
But that's the case with HDR-FOX as well - 30s before you can pause, but you can scroll back afterwards - is that not the case with the Aura? Are you saying it takes time to create the buffer in the first place?

But that's the case with HDR-FOX as well - 30s before you can pause, but you can scroll back afterwards - is that not the case with the Aura? Are you saying it takes time to create the buffer in the first place?
Cant say I have noticed it since I normally schedule recording for most things we plan to watch live but why would the Humax designers have built in an artificial 30s delay before you can pause? It shouldn't take that long to initate recording - seems to be a bit bizzare.

There is no delay before you can pause live TV on the aura.
Not even a delay of few seconds?

From the Aura product manual version 100GB:
Tips:
Your recorder will automatically start to temporarily store live TV footage 10 seconds after
switching to that channel.

30s in the case of HDR-FOX.
On both of my active HDR-FOX T2s it's 10 to 12 seconds after the picture is first displayed on switching channel.

I might have got the figure confused - it won't store an instant recording of less than 30s. I measured 14s before pause available. I don't think either of those is mentioned in the manual.

Watching 103 on Aura. Tapped in 101 and OK. Immediate press of pause. Message at top of screen function doesn't work while retrieving data for buffer. Try again in a few seconds. Sure enough in a few seconds it works. You have to deliberately press pause as fast as you can after changing channels. The picture and audio appears instantly using direct channel number input. As said before the UI is very quick. If you used the guide to change channel Brian is probably right. After exiting the guide live pause will likely work as soon as you try. I only noticed it because that's how I normally change channels.

Used the Aura app to set Repair Shop to record. Came in at 8:10 to find it not recording. (Fault 1)

Pressed Green to watch from start. 5 minutes in, was thrown out to home page to message about a software update.(Fault 2)

Did update, restarted, Ch101, Green button, but it was from the beginning, so wound on 5 minutes and pressed Play. I kid you not, the picture was full sized, but in the bottom RH, corner, where the PiP would be, so all I could see was the top LH of the show. (Fault 3)

Geez.

PS, can't see any point in comparing Android TV with past proprietary boxes. What is needed is clear documentation and consistent and intuitive behaviour.

Back