Aura UHD android TV recorder November launch

I wish to challenge Grahamlthompson on his post at #454.

He states that active standby to live TV is 'near instant' and that from low power standby takes about '2 mins'.

In his post #129 (response to my #128) he stated that to power up from low-power standby took '2-3 mins'. I did not understand the length of the power-up time; it seemed too long given the time it took to display an picture from initial plugging into the mains. He answered that it was because my box was already in active standby.

The discussion continued in #135 and #136 which I feel he did not understand the point I was making, thus I carried out an experiment to determine more accurately the power-up times.

I reported my results in #147, They do not match those posted by him in his #454.

Have I a box that is faster to power-up from low-standby and slower to power-up from active standby than his?

My active standby to live is a few seconds, if the box doesn't stall.

Low energy standby to live is 45 sevonds.

Off to live may be more like 2 minutes, I can't be bothered to check.

My active standby to live is a few seconds, if the box doesn't stall.

Low energy standby to live is 45 sevonds.

Off to live may be more like 2 minutes, I can't be bothered to check.

How do you know your box in in full standby ?

From active to live TV is only a few seconds. From 0.5W sby is 2 mins plus.

Other than a plug in power meter, only way I know is that the the rear usb port has no power when the box actually goes into low power sby. You need something that shows a led to indicate port power. I use a hdmi switch with a usb power cable that shows a green led if the port is powered.. If a no recording is due the box can take around 15 mins to go into low power sby. Turn it off last thing at night to full sby. Check the port is not powered. Turn on the TV and select the hdmi input used by the aura. Press the remote power button and you will see in a short period a Humax flash screen. The led will change colour several times before you see live TV.

Challenge away, but don't hold your breath for any sort of admission of the possibility of making a mistake.
There is no mistake. Do you actually have a box ? If not you clearly do not have a clue. Suggest you restrict comments to something you clearly have no way of testing

Oh, OK. I was just assuming it was in low power standby because I set it mid afternoon, with no imminent recordings, and it took longer than normal to wake up.

I timed box wake from low power sby this morning and photographed the various stages. In between each stage with a stop watch lap timer. I need to reduce the size to upload them first. Not this is a new Firmware box updated yesterday.

Time to Humax Flash screen 9.67 sec

Android Loading Animation 30.10 sec

Buffering 1.00.30

Live TV 1.09.19

That seems faster than normal previous times have been around 2 mins or so.

There is no mistake. Do you actually have a box ? If not you clearly do not have a clue. Suggest you restrict comments to something you clearly have no way of testing
Totally irrelevant. I was replying to MartinOnline who quoted two conflicting answers from you, which you still haven't corrected
And I counter suggest that if you post something that is wrong, thaen admit/correct it when it has been pointed out. I don't need to have the box to see conflicting statements made about it and I wasn't suggesting which was correct (how could I, I don't have the box)

Totally irrelevant. I was replying to MartinOnline who quoted two conflicting answers from you, which you still haven't corrected
And I counter suggest that if you post something that is wrong, thaen admit/correct it when it has been pointed out. I don't need to have the box to see conflicting statements made about it and I wasn't suggesting which was correct (how could I, I don't have the box)

What contradictory answers ?

I timed box wake from low power sby this morning and photographed the various stages. In between each stage with a stop watch lap timer. I need to reduce the size to upload them first. Not this is a new Firmware box updated yesterday.

Time to Humax Flash screen 9.67 sec

Android Loading Animation 30.10 sec

Buffering 1.00.30

Live TV 1.09.19

That seems faster than normal previous times have been around 2 mins or so.

Please note that my timings in #147 were with the Firmware previous to the one recently provided.

My timings were based on (1) from the switch-on of the mains supply (dead box) and (2) the pressing of the Remote power button (in low- and active-standby) with the direct HDMI-linked non-smart TV already powered and set to the appropriate HDMI input.

I used the stopwatch function on my Smartphone.

I have now updated my Firmware to the latest version.

I reported my timings because those quoted by grahamlthompson did not match those I perceived and, for me, to ensure those seeking information about the Aura received the best information around.

As a retired scientist I know that experimental method and publication of methods/results is important but so is carrying out matching experiments before re-stating specific information.

When I can I will repeat my experiments and publish my results.

Please note that my timings in #147 were with the Firmware previous to the one recently provided.

My timings were based on (1) from the switch-on of the mains supply (dead box) and (2) the pressing of the Remote power button (in low- and active-standby) with the direct HDMI-linked non-smart TV already powered and set to the appropriate HDMI input.

I used the stopwatch function on my Smartphone.

I have now updated my Firmware to the latest version.

I reported my timings because those quoted by grahamlthompson did not match those I perceived and, for me, to ensure those seeking information about the Aura received the best information around.

As a retired scientist I know that experimental method and publication of methods/results is important but so is carrying out matching experiments before re-stating specific information.

When I can I will repeat my experiments and publish my results.
Barry tested this on MyHumax. He found boot times varied widely. So chances of repeating the same timings are slim. Suggest you try repeated boots after an overnight shutdown. I will do the same tomorrow.

Why are you starting with the power off. The first boot from the new software failed and required a power cycle to recover, The timings I posted were after a sucessful boot and a return to full sby.

Removing the power stops the internal real time clock. All Humax boxes after a power cut do a short boot procedure to restart the clock and return to full sby. Otherwise a power cut would terminate all future recordings until the box is manually booted. You can only see this on earlier boxes with a front display. The HDMI out is not energised.

Last edited:
If you look back on the posts #129, #130 and #131 you will see that when I first challenged you on the start-up times and I stated I was referring to its initial mains connection, you stated "Your box was in active sby, hard disk running and only the video and audio outputs turned off. All it had to do is turn these services on."

Thus, I carried out the experiment with the box operational states that were under discussion and reported these times in my #147.

I acknowledge that boot times will vary but I felt your original statement that it took 2-3 minutes for the box to boot from low-power standby in #129 was incorrect and I needed to verify it. Thus my response in #130. You ignored my results and repeated the assertion 'Boot from low power sby takes about 2 mins' in #454. To which you added 'From active to live TV is near instant.'.

I will check if there are any recordings set for tonight and then put the box into low-power standby and carry out a timing experiment tomorrow with the new firmware. However, my focus tomorrow will be to attend the vaccination centre on time. :)

Further to my #515, there are recordings scheduled for tonight and so I will not be able to leave the box in low-power standby overnight. I can leave it set in low-standby for a few hours tomorrow morning before experimenting.

If you look back on the posts #129, #130 and #131 you will see that when I first challenged you on the start-up times and I stated I was referring to its initial mains connection, you stated "Your box was in active sby, hard disk running and only the video and audio outputs turned off. All it had to do is turn these services on."

Thus, I carried out the experiment with the box operational states that were under discussion and reported these times in my #147.

I acknowledge that boot times will vary but I felt your original statement that it took 2-3 minutes for the box to boot from low-power standby in #129 was incorrect and I needed to verify it. Thus my response in #130. You ignored my results and repeated the assertion 'Boot from low power sby takes about 2 mins' in #454. To which you added 'From active to live TV is near instant.'.

I will check if there are any recordings set for tonight and then put the box into low-power standby and carry out a timing experiment tomorrow with the new firmware. However, my focus tomorrow will be to attend the vaccination centre on time. :)
Box boots from active sby in a few seconds. That was correct and still is, But without some means of checking on if he rear usb ports is unpowered no way to tell. Front LED is red in both conditions. You can use a usb stick with a led. I use a powered HDMI switch with a highly visible green led indicating 5V power is being received, both have no power in full sby. . That is the only way to be certain though the very quiet HDD can be heard in a very quiet room with an ear very close to the box. If you pull the power with the HDD running you can hear a click as the heads park. Overnight recordings do not matter. The latest software does return the box to full sby after recording terminates. I have checked this on the previous and newest software.

Incidentally the latest software fixes the pixellation glitches found on replay of recordings.

Boot from full sby this morning

Power on button to Humax animation 01:14:55

Power on button to Android loading animation a further 00.30.99

Time to live TV a further 00.11.15

Steam valve TVs warmed up quicker than that! It seems rum that a set-top box, even an Android one, should take longer to boot (1m57s according to your post) than a Windows PC (okay, maybe not my Windows PC).

I know people will interpret this as knocking the product when I don't even have one, but really: in whose world is it reasonable for a domestic consumer apparatus to take more than a few seconds to turn on, unless you leave it in hot standby? According to the above, the Aura doesn't even show it is alive for a minute and a quarter - not very reassuring. A PC is a bit different: as office equipment, it would generally be turned on at the beginning of the day while you make your coffee, and then left running for an extended period.

LG 32LD690 LCD TV from cold start to live TV7s
Samsung UE32EH5000 LCD TV from cold start to live TV10s
JVC LT-40C590 LED TV from cold start to live TV14s
Apple iPad Pro MM192B/A from cold start to home screen (including unlock)23s
HD-FOX (with CF and external HDD) cold start to live TV24s
HDR-FOX (with CF) cold start to live TV24s
Samsung A3 Android phone from cold start to home screen (including unlock)48s
Humax Aura from cold boot to live TV (according to GLT)117s

In all cases above (except the Aura) a splash screen appears within a few seconds of turn on, to let the user know something is happening. What's more, the HD-FOX and HDR-FOX are able to wake up and record on schedule from anything other than "turned off at the wall".

In other words: the Aura is more like an item of professional equipment than like a domestic box.

Last edited:
Further to my #515, there are recordings scheduled for tonight and so I will not be able to leave the box in low-power standby overnight. I can leave it set in low-standby for a few hours tomorrow morning before experimenting.

Why not ? Selecting low power standby no longer affects a recording in progress neither does a subsequent recording stop the box going back into full sby. The firmware update previous to the new one sorted this out.

Back