Aura UHD android TV recorder November launch

I've just heard about
I have never understood why some people are so lazy that they require one remote control to try to replace several others. What is wrong with using more than one remote control? :rolleyes:
Ah there speaks a man who has never spent 20 minutes looking for a lost remote control LOL

I have never understood why some people are so lazy that they require one remote control to try to replace several others. What is wrong with using more than one remote control? :rolleyes:
6 remote controls in one room? Remembering inputs?

Just give it a try, it generally works well. We have three.

Last edited by a moderator:
If people are so prone to losing remote controls, what do they do when they lose their “insert appropriate brand” programmable remote control?:rolleyes:

IMO it's less about physically losing them (it can disappear into the sofa even if it's only one), more about which one is which. Centralising control into one unit means always having the right one to hand with no confusion.

The one device I have which often needs to me to fall back on the native remote control is my old Pioneer HDD/DVDR which is the most complicated remote control I have seen with, for example, three different forms of Home button. :eek:

If people are so prone to losing remote controls, what do they do when they lose their “insert appropriate brand” programmable remote control?:rolleyes:
Fetch it from its charging cradle. Duh. 🤣

May I ask another question please?
If you record / stream something, I'm assuming the aura upscales? If you play from e.g. a 4000/5000 does the TV upscale for you (from a HDMI input - I'm guessing most TVs behave similarly)? How does the upscaling on the aura compare with various TVs upscaling? (Thinking of getting a Panny 4k.) I can't help think that TV upscaling should be better as it is designed for the panel in use?

What is a lost remote control? :rolleyes:
One swallowed down the back of the Sofa :o_O: I lost one for two weeks once :mad:
May I ask another question please?
If you record / stream something, I'm assuming the aura upscales? If you play from e.g. a 4000/5000 does the TV upscale for you (from a HDMI input - I'm guessing most TVs behave similarly)? How does the upscaling on the aura compare with various TVs upscaling? (Thinking of getting a Panny 4k.) I can't help think that TV upscaling should be better as it is designed for the panel in use?

Letting the aura scale is a liitle less sharp than my LG 4K Oled C9. The latest firmware has an option that outputs live TV as 1080p leaving the TV to scale to 2160p . This produces produces superior results from letting the aura scale to 2160p for live HD TV content.

Letting the aura scale is a liitle less sharp than my LG 4K Oled C9. The latest firmware has an option that outputs live TV as 1080p leaving the TV to scale to 2160p . This produces produces superior results from letting the aura scale to 2160p for live HD TV content.
But your mileage may differ. It is a subjective thing that is dependent on which, the box or the TV, looks better to you.

And for those who find it difficult to follow a 'conversation' without a zillion quotes and @s, this was in reply to a response by GLT to an original question asked by @Jeddy at post #471.

But your mileage may differ. It is a subjective thing that is dependent on which, the box or the TV, looks better to you.
More objective than subjective? Edit: Or perhaps you are referring to how artificial upscaled TV looks?

Letting the box scale to 1080p 50Hz or 1080p 60Hz are both options. But there is no option for pass through? One of those is definitely going to screw the picture up.

Last edited by a moderator:
With my TV, my preferred option is to let the aura upscale live TV to 2160p, this produces the best picture in my opinion.

The latest firmware has an option that outputs live TV as 1080p leaving the TV to scale to 2160p
It's a pity if there is no option to output to HDMI at the same resolution as broadcast, you get no choice of upscaler if the broadcast itself is less than 1080. This is something I regard as a defect in the HDR-FOX.

More objective than subjective? Edit: Or perhaps you are referring to how artificial upscaled TV looks?
With my TV, my preferred option is to let the aura upscale live TV to 2160p, this produces the best picture in my opinion.
Nope. You can measure objective, subjective is usually followed by something like "In my opinion"
And the best 'objective' result may not give the best subjective outcome.

Nope. You can measure objective, subjective is usually followed by something like "In my opinion"
And the best 'objective' result may not give the best subjective outcome.
That is subjective.

So the aura does the upscaling according to the TVs settings and if you want a TV to upscale you have to watch it live or use a media player on the TV.

So the aura does the upscaling according to the TVs settings and if you want a TV to upscale you have to watch it live or use a media player on the TV.
No, I don't think that's what's meant.

Judging from what I know about the HDR-FOX: suppose the broadcast/recording was originally 1080p. With the Aura's output resolution set to 1080p, the output will be exactly what was broadcast, and then the TV upscales it to 4K (which it has to if there are 3840x2160 pixels).

However, if the broadcast/recording was 576i (StDef), the Aura will upscale that to 1080p, and then the TV upscales the 1080p to 2160p. The only way to cut out the Aura's upscaler completely would be to set its output resolution to 576i.

Of course, to get the benefit of 4K content the Aura's output needs to be set to 2160p. In that case, everything the Aura outputs will be upscaled (if necessary) to 2160p by the Aura's upscaler, and the TV's upscaler does nothing.

Back