auto-update event sneaked through disable ota protection

mihaid

I read through disable ota BH guide but could not find my problem.

This morning I found the ring blue, when checking the schedule there was no impending recording but there was an auto update as picture.

The problem is that this caused the t2 to return a green screen on my tv, which can only be cured by a reboot which is impossible whilst this autoupdate is in the schedule. All this would be beyond what my other half could deal with so the question is how could this be avoided?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 22
The Humax firmware adds the auto-update item to the schedule every now and again, when it finds there isn't one. The original disable-ota package only removed the auto-update schedule entry, and can only do so at boot time. This is what you are seeing: the auto-update entry before there has been a reboot to enable its removal.

Adding a reminder schedule item to cover the 0430 period prevents the OTA search going ahead, this is why the updated disable-ota package adds this item to the schedule unless you choose to disable that action - at your own risk. I am sure this is all covered: Preventing External Events from Disturbing the CF (click).

I don't understand why you are linking this to your green screen or an inability to reboot.

Ok, so it's standard procedure except today the T2 has not rebooted eliminating the entry. It was stuck on blue ring. The green screen and the rest was just the consequences of the exception. I have read your stuff but it doesn't mention why the rebooting didn't happen.

Totally unrelated. The disable-ota stuff doesn't force a reboot, you have to make that happen yourself.

Every morning?

I don't think I understand this.
I found the t2 on blue ring. I checked webif and found auto update entry. I assumed this caused the blue ring and this also would not allow blue go to orange after I turned on t2 and then turned off. I deleted through webif the entry got the reboot message on webif and rebooted.

The question is still what was different today from yesterday when the t2 had an orange ring?

There are two reason that your Humax may be left in a 'Blue Ring' state and it is not clear which of these states your Humax was left in. One reason for the 'Blue Ring' is that your Humax is in a half awake state where it does not go into standby correctly, there is some documentation on this half awake state on the WiKi (CLICK HERE), the second 'Blue Ring' state is where the Humax has correctly gone into standby but the Redring package has failed to leave the unit in Amber for some reason. Do you have the Redring package installed? When the Humax is in the 'Blue Ring' state, is the hard disk still spinning?

With redring installed, you'll usually see a blue ring + disk spinning following a power cut.
(Without redring you see an amber ring with the disk spinning)

I do have redring installed.

Let me see if I got this:
auto update gets created every day at 4.30am. disable ota deletes it then turns off the t2 at 4.40 but it still shows in webif until my daily on/off at 15.00. but if the disk is still spinning, which I assume it was because my turning off / on the t2 still displayed a green screen and I did not hear the click, then my on/off will have no reboot effect. my hdmi connection only gets reset after a disk not spinning then on.

I think the blue ring was due to not being properly in standby.

ok blue ring stuck again
humaxtv log says:
Code:
170 [RR] Fri Feb  6 13:15:22 2015: Recording end 0.
169 -------------------------------------
168 Dustbin path: /mnt/hd2/My Video/[Deleted Items]
167 Dustbin media root: /mnt/hd2/My Video/
166 Dustbin debug: 0
165 Initialising Dustbin v1.0
164 -------------------------------------
163 [RR] Fri Feb  6 13:15:22 2015: Recording end 0.
162 killall: tinyftp: no process killed
161 [RR] Fri Feb  6 13:11:47 2015: Recording end 0.
160 -------------------------------------

and no autoupdate in sight.

You are correct, if you can log into the Humax during this strange 'Blue Ring' state, then it is not due to Redring, when the Humax really is in standby (whatever the ring colour), it is not possible to log into the Humax, it is worth looking through the WiKi 'Half awake' state help page to find out why your Humax is not going into standby correctly, corrupted files is one common reason for this to happen, e.g. files that won't play or are zero lenght

Last edited:
Not really, it's the humaxtv process which is stopping it powering down. There is also an explanation of the delinquent half-awake in Things Every... (click) section 18.

Let me see if I got this:
auto update gets created every day at 4.30am. disable ota deletes it then turns off the t2 at 4.40 but it still shows in webif until my daily on/off at 15.00. but if the disk is still spinning, which I assume it was because my turning off / on the t2 still displayed a green screen and I did not hear the click, then my on/off will have no reboot effect. my hdmi connection only gets reset after a disk not spinning then on.
You haven't got this at all.

I can't see any sign of the Disable OTA reminder entry in your WebIF schedule screen shot in post 1. There should be a separate entry for 20 minutes from 0420 daily - it is this which wakes up the machine and makes it busy so that if there is an 0430 "Auto Update" schedule it dies not get acted on. If you have chosen not to use the reminder entry (switched off in the WebIF >> Settings >> Settings for disable-ota package), you are accepting the risk that an OTA could get through in return for not having the Humax turn on in the early morning every day.

What should happen is this:

The Humax adds an Auto Update schedule entry when it feels like it. If the unit reboots before the next 0430 Auto Update event, the disable-ota package will remove it from the schedule during the boot process. If there is no reboot between the Auto Update being added to the schedule and the next 0430 slot, the unit will wake up at 0430, check for an OTA, and if it finds one install it thus disabling the CF.

The 20-minute 0420 reminder schedule is not meant to profile the pre-0430 boot, although it is a side-effect if the unit happens to be off at the time. The unit could equally well be on already, in which case there is no boot process. The purpose of the reminder is to make the machine busy with a higher priority task so that it ignores the 0430 Auto Update schedule item.

Your delinquent half-awake is preventing the unit from rebooting, and that is nothing to do with disable-ota (other than preventing it doing its job). You should reconsider having the automatic reminder entry switched off, for the reasons noted.

You should give me some credit. You can't see disable ota because it's miles above the auto update. I do know when something is installed.
In the instructions I read it seemed to suggest to watch humaxtv log.
I'll try again some reading.

From instructions :
Web-If >> Diagnostics >> View Log File >> humaxtv.log while trying to place the Humax in standby can produce an error message showing why the Humax can't enter standby mode

What is the meaning of that?

The instruction says it 'can' produce an error message not that it 'will' in every case, it depends what the problem is. Have you got any auto On / Auto Off timers set on the Humax ?. Do you have any recordings that are zero length or that won't play, possibly with a greyed out delete/move/copy option against them, or maybe a 'lightening bolt' symbol against them?

Last edited:
I couldn't find anything except one lightning which was a recording which played. What else can I do?

Back