AV Chat

The simple method today is the optical audio connection to a soundbar. My ten year old TV also have a number of alternatives: Line out analogue, SCART socket (designed for VCR recording but can be used to get a line level analogue audio signal) as well as the headphone socket. You can also use an HDMI/analogue adaptor to get a line level feed from the designated ARC HDMI output on the TV.

TBH people have to learn to accept that the TV itself is no longer the centre-piece of an AV set up but that role is now played by the AVR with the TV as just a display screen.

the TV itself is no longer the centre-piece of an AV set up but that role is now played by the AVR with the TV as just a display screen.
In your world perhaps. In consumer-land, and especially with the arrival of the 'smart' TV, I suspect that is simply not true for a large proportion of users.

The sound on my TV is plenty good enough for me. I have a cheap pair of self-powered bookshelf speakers for my projector screen, but that doesn't get used much now I have a 40" TV (the projector only does 720) and the Qumi is on the blink anyway. The screen speakers are run from the audio pick-off on the HDMI (active matrix) switch.

This discussion has moved a long way from talking about the capabilities of the Aura and probablly should be split out

This discussion has moved a long way from talking about the capabilities of the Aura and probablly should be split out
I was thinking the same myself a few days ago, if anyone would care to suggest a suitable title for the new thread, I will move the posts to the Hummy Arms.

I have great respect for those who take audio seriously. I can't persuade my scratlets to accept old speakers rather than use the TV ones or a soundbar. It transforms viewing. What a shame terrestrial uses 2.0 DD on HD rather than even 5.1.

Is anything on terrestrial broadcast in 5.1?
Yes - but not on ITV

eg Father Brown, Battlestar Galactica. Also 5.1 on satellite.

Yes - but not on ITV

eg Father Brown, Battlestar Galactica. Also 5.1 on satellite.
I hadn't realised Father Brown was 5.1. One of my favourite actors and shows.

Ba[lestar Galactica? Meh

As for satellite, that depends on it not raining or snowing, and also the neighbours keeping their gardens in order.

I hadn't realised Father Brown was 5.1. One of my favourite actors and shows.

Ba[lestar Galactica? Meh

As for satellite, that depends on it not raining or snowing, and also the neighbours keeping their gardens in order.

I have lost my satellite signal about twice in 10 yrs. Both times wet snow on the dish face. Dish about 6ft off the ground. Fixed in 5 mins with a broom. Rainfade - crap alignment or needs a larger dish for your location.

As for terrestrial uplift conditions in high pressure is common. It's clear you have no idea how high 28.2E is. The offset dishes used make it look as if the dish is looking nearly horizontal. Clearly you have no idea about satellite reception. Rough guide in most of the UK if you stand at gutter level the slope of most roofs is close to the elevation of 28.2E.
I can easily see 28.2E from my north facing garden about 15m away at ground level.

Suggest you actually understand if trotting out second hand crap,

Do you really think trees can't mask a signal? If my dish, a large one, on your suggestion, were at the height of yours, it would see nothing. As it is, it is at around 20'. Try wiping that with a broom. Plus, we get rather more snow in Sheffield than you do in flat Redditch, as you well know, having lived in both.

So, stop trotting out crap!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you really think trees can't mask a signal? I my dish, a large one, on your suggestion, were at the height of yours, it would see nothing. As it is, it is at around 20'. Try wiping that with a broom. Plus, we get rather more snow in Sheffield than you do in flat Redditch, as you well know, having lived in both.

So, stop trotting out crap!

It's you posting a crap generalised opinion re-satellite vs Freview and applying to one location. Of course trees can stop both Freeview and Satellite. Had you checked using Dish pointer it would tell you the height of the trees at the distance you are from the trees have to be to above the height of your dish to cause issues. I happen to be the opposite to you. Open view to the South East and a tall wood a few yards from me NE boundary. This mean reception from Sutton Coldfield with any sort of aerial even on a high mast in Summer is impossible. However roughly South of me there is a Sutton Coldfield relay a few miles South of Stratford On Avon. I can get 100% reception with a loft log periodic in my loft (view through roof tiles).

As it happens I was born and lived in Norton till I was 25 and well aware of the snow in Winter. I remember the Emley Moor transmitter collapsing under ice loading. At the Time I was a YEB student apprentice and worked with the overhead line team that winter. Interesting climbing one of the steel masts they used covered in clear ice.

You should check the elevation of where you live using Google Earth and compare to say the Lickey Hills just South. You might be surprised.

The fact remains that for many millions satellite provides a good reliable signal.

I do get some issues in high pressure uplift conditions with no issues using satellite.

Last edited:
Maths is not your strong point is it? 3x£300 would leave no change from £900 and 3x£600 (The price of a Denon AVR-X2700H) would just leave you looking stupid.
Well, since I have not said ANY of the above you most definitely are the stupid one.

Back