BBC Breakfast Regional News

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Yesterday there were no regional bulletins, presumably due to Breakfast having been displaced onto BBC TWO because of the football (why the heck didn't they put that on TWO?!! I see they have today).

Today the regional bulletin isn't Points West but a combined Spotlight & Points West (I only realised when the Channel Islands were included in the regional weather). Has the trigger been pulled on budget cuts, and this now permanent? :(

Yesterday there were no regional bulletins, presumably due to Breakfast having been displaced onto BBC TWO because of the football (why the heck didn't they put that on TWO?!! I see they have today).
I think the issue with local news yesterday was due to industrial action not football.

I think the issue with local news yesterday was due to industrial action not football.
Absolutely correct. NUJ action.

Protesting about Local Radio / English regional broadcast news cuts (moving to online) etc.,. I noted quite a few East presenter/journalists on items from the London-delivered pan-South/East England last night. So not all are in the Union it seems.

According to Clean Feed there was widespread disruption to most bulletins at lunchtime and later. Probably the same at breakfast. Unusually W Midlands had E Midlands news. (Unlike ITV where the local news is recorded in Birmingham). Looks like most regions had SE news.

BBC is on a winner this week, ITV's GMB is missing. Shirley they could have put it or the football on ITV 2,3 or 4.
The Rights Owners generally insist the Sports is on the 'flagship channel'. e.g. It's why certain Wombledin matches are on BBC ONE and not BBC TWO.

I guess that ITV reckon few would find GMB on one of their 'other channels' (or it's simply cheaper to not make the programme and make staff and presenters take a holiday)?

I guess that ITV reckon few would find GMB on one of their 'other channels'
That would make sense in the early days of digital TV, when many people still used analogue and only had five channels. Most TV viewers now can access all of the ITV and BBC channels. But the same sticking point occurs with non-BBC1 and non-ITV1 channels - no regional news.
They want to promote their sport to the largest possible audience
And yet the BBC still put unique sports programming on 601.

You did, but you should know by now that broadcasters don't care less what the viewer thinks. Otherwise the screen junk, squashing and gabbling over end titles would have ceased years ago. (Thank goodness for TPTV - although the endless plugging of their catch up service p's me off).

Back