BBC iPlayer Radio Side Portal Issues ?

Tell

Is any one else having problems with the 1.02.29 on the HD or even any two series on the radio side of the iPlayer. I can't get the Today programme for Saturday or Monday. You get to the bar across the bottom but nothing happens. In 1.03.11 on an HD it works.

I ask this since I had to issue the fix last night of remove_portals diagnostic to tidy files as af123 told someone to do last year. So whilst it seemed to sort out the portal on the TV side I never tested the radio side. I'm wondering whether it didn't sort everything out or whether the BBC / Humax has an issue on the browser side of the radio player for the 1.02.xx series of the portal.

I'll check when I turn on my HD, but do other radio catch-ups do the same or just these specifically? By "Saturday" do you mean last Saturday? The iPlayer version will have expired.

1.03.11? Presumably that means HDR Mode.

At the minute today's Saturday "Today" is available I'm playing it via BootHDR on an HD box on the series 1.03.11 but on 1.02.29 it isn't, nor is last Monday's version on the native custom software. Thus I'm wondering whether it's a file not cleared down by the remove_portals fix that I did yesterday e.g. there might be other tinkering that needs to be done (i.e. the script needs something else in it as well) or whether it's just the radio side of the BBC iPlayer on the 1.02.29 version of the software not working at the broadcaster / Humax end.

Thanks Luke I'll stop worrying that I bust it by swapping backwards and forwards into the HDR mode linked to having to do the removal_portal to tidy files last night to bring the portal back on the HD. The HDR mode of the HD running 1.03.xx has many advantages although it will be obviously be better if Humax release 1.03.xx for the HD so that you can have the box still set up for recording as well. You would still want the mod for stream saving and the other things that you people get up to with it. Thanks Black Hole as well.

Hmmm will have to cogitate on what actually the HDR mode does on the HD, gives you the HDR software of the flying download or whatever it's called but doesn't allow you to record. Me thinks the recording bit of the implementation was left out by af123 since it only has one tuner or by a fluke of fate the original software say only one tuner, I'm not going to record anything, but will operate the other stuff. I suspect that when setting up from the HDR file it only implements bits of the code dictated by af123 import option, no front screen writing and no recording. One for af123.

The HDR software seems to block direct recording to an external drive. BBC iPlayer is not so fussy: Drutt (the author of BootHDR) managed to get this working with drive mapping. The HDR software can also be fooled when copying files, that's why when you copy in HDR mode you see drive1 mapped as both the internal drive and an external USB drive. Without this, file decryption on an HD-Fox would not be possible. It is discussed more here. With respect to the single tuner in the HD-Fox, HDR 1.03.0x software works well, 1.02.xx versions could not cope when changing channels from one MUX to another.

Thank you MontysEvilTwin.... will read the thread when I get home.

I did see the drives appearing in several places and if I have a memory stick in the the USB thingey winey with the pretty lights on (Logitech H-UD5 4 port hub un powered) WebIf insists that it hasn't been installed on the box and starts to install it on the drive. So WebIf doesn't work till I pull the USB stick back out. That's when I'm copying stuff over from home to location 2.

I'd decided that a hack must be done during installation by the software itself, sorry mean custom change.

HDR Mode is just plain running the HDR-FOX firmware instead of the HD-FOX firmware, it does what it does. Obviously where the HD-FOX lacks hardware support for the HDR-FOX operations, it ain't going to do much - eg: no internal hard drive, so recording functions specifically targeting an internal hard drive won't work.

The surprise is that running the HDR code makes decryption possible by OPT+ copy - that's what HDR Mode was tried out for, anything else is a bonus.

No, I can't get any iPlayer radio to work either. I'm not sure how long this has been a problem, I'm certain I have had it running on these firmware revisions in the past (even captured stuff on my 1.02.20 HDR). What seems to happen is it just sits there "Loading" with no way out except a reboot, until after many minutes it drops itself back to the programme page.

I think your thesis is a bit wrong in the first two paras since with a disk drive attached it performs like the HDR on streaming so there must be some filter process going on when installed as to what and it won't do. I would even suggest that it could record on one tuner if the developer of the mod had chosen to do it, dropping the gauntlet.

I would even suggest that it could record on one tuner if the developer of the mod had chosen to do it, dropping the gauntlet.
Nope. Black Hole and Monty are right in what they've said. HDR software will not record to an external drive.

I think your thesis is a bit wrong in the first two paras
It's not a thesis, I'm telling you like it is. Even knowledgable newcomers need to take into consideration the accumulated experience already in place.

Wonder who these knowledable newcomers are since I registered with the board months ago but due to previous pressures of work and two family members dieing in the last 10 months, taking on caring duties on one, haven't had time to do too much. Hence I was a bit late on the scene to update to 1.03.06 on the HDR although many people haven't done that yet so it appears feeling nervous.

I read the thread link and they were asking af123 to come up with a method to mount the external drive in a way that made it appear as internal since it wasn't being seen as internal as far as recording. The web if can record the download stream presume since its written that way as an add on.

It seems a bit of an accident that HDR software half works on an HD box and can't be nudged to work a bit more. At the minute time available to me to experiment with stuff is minimal around coffee relaxation breaks from house clearance / executor duties on two properties. I might get time to learn Linux one day although didn't like C, need a box that runs on Fortran / George operating system or VB. There is a joke somewhere in there.

This board, and the one which preceeded it, has been running since before the HDR-FOX was released in 2010.

It may well be possible to tweak the standard HDR-FOX firmware to run better on the HD-FOX, and I am sure if you are willing to have a crack a lot of people will be grateful (or at least, those who only have HD-FOXes). Bear in mind however, you will be working with machine code not source code.

It might not be impossible to get recording working on a HD-FOX in HDR mode, but it is beyond my capability. I know from discussions with Drutt that he tried to do this when developing the package, but it wasn't straightforward: drive mappings alone are not enough. With the HD software there is a specific function which assigns the disk for recording using the disk's UUID. This is not available on the HDR: it seems that the software is designed to record only onto a drive connected to the PCI bus. It may be possible to simulate this to allow recording onto a USB drive, but how to do this is currently not known. It may be embedded in the humaxtv process which is pretty much a black box.
In summary, it would be nice to be able to record on a HD-FOX in HDR mode, but how to achieve this is not known and it might not be possible with the information available.

Thanks all.

I have always resisted machine code opting for compiler or interpreter languages.... I thought Linux boxes were developed in their own simulated manufactured environment rather than the adhoc machine programming set top boxes. Linux being the programming / operating language. Thus developers are not as such writing and running test code on the boxes themselves. Whilst those that tinker are ?.

So what do Humax release under the Open Source agreement

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...e.php+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-beta

So yes I think the mission impossible envelope burnt up before I opened it. I'm still waiting for help to be offered to the guy that wants to develop the other portals.

I have little doubt the executable we know as humaxtv starts life as a high level language of some sort (who the heck would write in assembly language these days?), but since we only have access to the compiled output (ie machine code) and it is not within the scope of the open source components it is not amenable to fiddling with (although some progress has been made in its analysis resulting in such things as ir).

The vast bulk of the custom firmware derives from the open source elements - knowledge of the Linux operating system allows for other processes to be run alongside humaxtv and thus to add our own additional facilities, but not to interfere with the standard operation. Hence the CF we have, and its limitations.

I have always resisted machine code opting for compiler or interpreter languages.... I thought Linux boxes were developed in their own simulated manufactured environment rather than the adhoc machine programming set top boxes. Linux being the programming / operating language.
Linux is not a programming/operating language. Linux refers to the kernel as originally developed (and still overseen) by Linus Torvalds. Much of the rest of a Linux system comes from GNU Open Software project. You can write software to run on a Linux box in a vast choice of languages.
So yes I think the mission impossible envelope burnt up before I opened it.
I really do struggle to understand your posts even though I suspect we are from the same era.
I'm still waiting for help to be offered to the guy that wants to develop the other portals.
He was told from the outset that it would be difficult but you achieve nothing if you don't at least try. I think he has clearly identified the major stumbling block but it will take a conceptual breakthrough to make progress rather than offers of man hours.

I really do struggle to understand your posts even though I suspect we are from the same era.
Maybe it would have helped if Mission Impossible had been capitalised and italicised to identify it as the title of something, and it was a tape that self-destructed not an envelope that burned up... but it was a poor simile.

Back