BBC local radio on Freeview

So the bit depth on Freeview is 1 ?
Nobody said anything about bit depth. Your confusion arises from the difference between sample rate (CD = 44100 samples per second, but each sample is two 16-bit channels) versus data rate (bits per second, used as a measure of quality in broadcast and streamed media formats). How the bits are then assembled into actual samples is another matter (and subject to data decompression), but there's no way 64kbps is going to get decompressed to the equivalent of a CD-quality mono channel (705.6kbps, uncompressed).

The ClassicFM bit rate on DAB got reduced from 160k to 128k, but I'm guessing that's stereo and I'm also guessing compression of a stereo channel can be more efficient than mono, but my feeling is that it ain't a lot better than what's on offer by DVB-T. I think we were all hoping for a high quality feed - which in MP3 standards I regard as at least 192kbps stereo.

Last edited:
And the final kicker for Classic FM is that their best quality digital stream is available online but is subject to intermittent drop outs (unless they have fixed that since last I checked using three different devices: Internet radio, laptop and mobile phone).

I think you need to go and do some reading before you drop yourself in it even more.

Strangely I did do some reading, but the subject of bit-rates and formats is to say the least interesting.
Years ago I gave technical training courses and started every one with the request that "If you don't understand something, ask me. Because if you don't follow I can guarantee several others don't either" (Usually about 15 students). Nowadays "There are no stupid questions" is used.
Anyway, I did some reading and saw that CD was 16-bit, but couldn't find anything to tie that in for comparison with other formats.
So I dropped myself in it (as you so pleasantly put it Mr Crocodile) and lo, answers to the problem (or maybe I should say translations to the language) have been provided.
I have have learned something, and I suspect a few others with thinner skins will have as well. :p

Is there a site that lists what local radio will be available and when?

Found a site that lists 10 stations that are currently available but after a retune none showed up.

Back