BBC Olympic Terminology

The Ordanance Survey is just an agency for geographic mapping. They don't define political boundaries!

I can't see them having any objection at all to being defined as part of the British Isles as it is a geographical fact.

"Ordnance" :)
IIRC there was a letter in Radio Times some weeks back taking to task the presenters' pronouncing this "ordinance" throughout a program (which I think was actually a repeat of the one about the OS from a year or so ago).
The response from the program makers can be summed up as "Well, everyone does it, so we are going with the flow". :eek::eek::rolleyes:

The Ordanance Survey is just an agency for geographic mapping. They don't define political boundaries!
I thought Ordnance Survey was governed by an historic Act of Parliament that decreed that they could only publish administrative units on their maps. This meant that with the parting of the ways of the hundred years old counties and the more recently (1888-89) created administrative counties Ordnance Survey had to go down the path of using the repeatedly (1965-) rejigged administrative counties. Ordnance Survey don't define the administrative counties but because of this publishing bias it is not 'just' an agency for geographic mapping.

IIRC there was a letter in Radio Times some weeks back taking to task the presenters' pronouncing this "ordinance" throughout a program (which I think was actually a repeat of the one about the OS from a year or so ago).
The response from the program makers can be summed up as "Well, everyone does it, so we are going with the flow". :eek::eek::rolleyes:
You do RC. I read it too, and the response. I was :mad:.

I've only just seen this thread.
My wife, who is Irish, would tell you that the region often referred to as Southern Ireland is, correctly, Republic of Ireland, and Eire is a historic label used (by the Irish) to describe the whole of Ireland.
HTH

Back