BBC proposing 4 additional DAB+ stations

Owen Smith

Proposal has to go through a lot of consultation, with doubtless a stream of complaints from commercial broadcasters:
If this goes ahead at least some existing BBC radio stations will have to go DAB+ to free up the bit rate needed for 4 new DAB+ stations on the BBC national ensemble (and I don't see where else they could go).

Never mind the DAB+ vs DAB argument, I can't see the point in the new stations. The BBC is moaning about their finances, implementing cuts to local radio and probably moving BBC4 online. (Not sure, but isn't R4X supposed to be closing as well?). They'd be better off keeping the existing services on the current platforms. If R2 is losing audience to Boom Radio they only have themselves to blame. And do we really need another R1 spin-off?

Never mind the DAB+ vs DAB argument, I can't see the point in the new stations. The BBC is moaning about their finances, implementing cuts to local radio and probably moving BBC4 online. (Not sure, but isn't R4X supposed to be closing as well?). They'd be better off keeping the existing services on the current platforms. If R2 is losing audience to Boom Radio they only have themselves to blame. And do we really need another R1 spin-off?
Apparently the new DAB+ stations will be highly automated and even when there is a presenter they won't be live. Think of it as automation playing the archives. This is much cheaper than channels with a live presenter.

But I do agree with you, this looks odd given cuts elsewhere. However the backdrop to this is year on year loss of listeners to BBC radio. The BBC used to have a significant stranglehold since it had nearly all of the national FM spectrum, and now they've lost that with streaming.

As for Radio 2 listeners loss, that is indeed entirely the BBC's fault. Not sure why people think Boom is the replacement though, myself and my parents have switched to Greatest Hits Radio for Ken Bruce and Simon Mayo and the music they play being more what we like. Many charity shops now have Greatest Hits Radio playing. That's a complete own goal by the BBC, the younger listeners they were chasing have other things they want to listen to. And I can't stand Vernon Kay, he winds me up something chronic.

As for DAB va. DAB+, if the BBC converted their entire ensemble to DAB+ and added these four new channels, that would probably result in a modest increase in audio quality on most channels (and keep Radio 3 at equivalent quality to now). It would result in some people being unable to listen to existing channels, but we're at the point where that is almost inevitable. The two main national commercial ensembles are now almost entirely DAB+, there are about two or three DAB channels left on each. Only the BBC and the local ensembles remain all DAB.

The effort and resources would be better spent turning BBC Sounds into a properly usable and functional media player for its audio offerings rather than the half-arsed effort it is at the moment.

The effort and resources would be better spent turning BBC Sounds into a properly usable and functional media player for its audio offerings rather than the half-arsed effort it is at the moment.
I wouldn't know, I don't use it.

Apparently the new DAB+ stations will be highly automated
I'd resisted the urge to mention upcoming changes to Scala where only 6 hours per weekday will have a presenter. The shows I listen to have been cancelled. Can't see automated ads, trails and some music will be very good. I'll give it a short trial. I imagine the BBC doing the same will involve endless trails for BBC Sounds.
Not sure why people think Boom is the replacement though,
I gave it a short listen, only because it was trailed on Notts TV (when they ran a radio show with old local photos on a Sunday). Gave up very quickly.
And I can't stand Vernon Kay
I can't stand most, if not all, of the current Radio 2 presenters.

I'd resisted the urge to mention upcoming changes to Scala where only 6 hours per weekday will have a presenter. The shows I listen to have been cancelled.
I like Simon Mayo's show on Scala, is that being cancelled?
Can't see automated ads, trails and some music will be very good. I'll give it a short trial. I imagine the BBC doing the same will involve endless trails for BBC Sounds.
When I first got internet radio I listened to some automated channels. It was OK at first but it got old pretty quickly. The presenter gives the show a feel.
I can't stand most, if not all, of the current Radio 2 presenters.
I like Zoe Ball on weekday mornings, so I listen to her until 9:30am and then there's a hole until Ken Bruce comes on Greatest Hits Radio at 10am. The automated Top Ten Til Ken show before 10am does nothing for me.

I like Simon Mayo's show on Scala, is that being cancelled?.
See here Not yet! As far as I can tell there are presenters at the weekend although some have moved about. Unfortunately I listened to Mark Kermode's film music show, and that's now ended. Don't like Jonathan Woss, so I won't be listening to the Classic FM version (although pre-Scala I did listen to Classic FM's previous presenter of the show)
The presenter gives the show a feel.
I also have been listening to about an hour of Richard Allinson on Scala around 5pm. He gave that show a feeling alright! So many mistakes, even in the travel news. Reminds me of the M&W breakfast routine and Pete Murray giving the wrong time check. (Allinson couldn't even remember what day it was once).
You're right. A good presenter can make the show. A poor presenter can ruin it. What does no presenter give you? Nothing. No reason to come back and listen again.

It gives you shuffle play from a much larger selection of music of the given genre than you can ever hope for from your own music library. And shuffle play that is much more random without the repeats.

I never use shuffle play from my own library though, so it's not appealing to me on the radio. If there's no presenter I'd rather listen to an entire album of rock/pop or an entire classical work. Random play on the radio is probably just one movement of a classical work.

I agree. I cried for a week (could it be ten years ago?)when they stopped the app player, can't even remember what it was called, which was so easy to navigate/use.

I thought that is what Classic fm does.
Usually they only play one movement but at least there is a presenter for the show and you find things out about the music (particularly if it's David Mellor presenting). And if you listen to the Full Works Concert show you get the full works as the name says.

I also have been listening to about an hour of Richard Allinson on Scala around 5pm.
I think we just had a taste of what's to come on Scala. Yesterday (29 Feb), about 15:45 a track finished and then no sound. Eventually more music, no presenter, wide gaps between music. Music for news and weather but no presenter. Allinson appeared, no music. Then music started no Allinson. 50-60 minutes of this shambles. I suppose it's just possible there was a difference between DAB+ output and on-line (I was listening on-line). There was never any explanation or apology. If it was just no presenter I'd have blamed a fire alarm. But this? The "listen again" on the app(lication) also had the blanks.

Back