BBC Scotland HD

MikeSh

I'm not in Scotland but I'm aware from another thread that they've been adding/changing things up there. I assume this accounts for this oddity:
We set Baptiste up as a series when it started (BBC1HD) and got episode 1 OK. This week, with ep2, without any change on our part, it recorded both the set version and the ScotHD one. And put them in the same folder. I thought at first they'd transmitted two episodes back to back, which is common on BBC 4.
We didn't have any other concurrent recordings, so there was no harm done, but I wonder what might happen if this duplication does cause a clash.

I assume it's some sort of crid foul up which will be sorted sharpish, but it's a concern should we want to record another programme at that time as well.

The BBC are currently having problems with BBC1HD. The listings for Friday at 13:30 to Saturday at 14:00 have just come back (they were blank until yesterday). Also the majority of the series I record (eg MOTD, MOTD2, Casualty) now do not have the option to record the series, only the program (I assume because of a lack of a series CRID). I have a few programmes that are scheduled as a series which have not found the next airing (eg, Warren).
I have sent a complaint to the BBC via the website (and what a palaver that was). Apparently my complaint is important to them and they are on the case (their words not mine).
Unfortunately I (we) will have to keep a close eye on this to ensure programs are not missed.
For interest BBC1SD seems to be functioning normally.

Yes, I'm aware of other problems, but they aren't especially new and I've never seen a 'piggyback' recording like this before on any of our three boxes. (Very unlikely on freeview I know.)

I have sent a complaint to the BBC via the website
I received a response which, among other things, stated:
We did experience a fault recently with series linking, which was related to the information given by the EPG. We want to gather as much information as possible about the issue.

I have been on the phone with them for 15 minutes and they seem to be mooting that it may be either a reception or device problem. I have no problems with any other BBC channels (both HD and SD) but they did not seem that interested.

To put my mind at rest could someone please check whether they get the option to record series as well as record program. A good example would be Warren which is set to broadcast on BBC1HD next Monday at 21:00. There is a CRID but no series CRID.

I've never seen a 'piggyback' recording like this
I did experience this last Saturday:

BBC have sent another email - looks they have the problem:
"This is an issue which we are aware of, and currently we are trying to resolve this issue for our viewers. We would suggest in the interim switching off the series link feature.
Our schedule is to try and resolve this on at some point Tuesday 26th February, so it will be worth trying to see if this is functional again later this evening."
Will try again tomorrow and see what happens.

I did experience this last Saturday:
It's not really similar and it's also to do with CFW on freeview. My event was on a standard Freesat box which is why I posted it in the Freesat section.

Accurate recording on Match of the Day last night (BBC 1 HD) was poor; started 5 minutes late and finished several minutes early.

Well, it's done the same again this week - one from BBC1 HD on Freesat and one from BBC1 Scot HD on Freesat, so it would seem there is still something odd going on.
One difference is that it wouldn't play the Scottish one, complaining about an unsupported format or suchlike.
None of our other scheduled programmes (on BBC1) do this. I might try cancelling the reservation and remaking it, but even if that appears to fix it it wouldn't be conclusive as the BBC might fix it from their end during the week.

Nobody else on Freesat seeing this?

I reported this to the BBC. It's down to the BBC using identical series and programme CRID's for BBC1-HD England and BBC 1 HD Scotland rather than giving Scotland a seperate Series CRID. It's also causing issues with BBC1-SD recordings picking other regions to record from rather than your postcode allocated channel at 101.

The daily BBC1-HD of Shakespeare and Hathaway was also losing the beginning every due to AR timing issues. This was fixed on Monday with both Monday and todays recording the complete programme for the first time since the series started.

I deleted BBC!-Scotland HD to avoid the double recording generation which was causing other channel recording failures due to both tuners being used for the same programme.

This a copy of the post I made on MY Humax under the thread BBC HD recording debacle. This was also copied to the BBC as a formal complaint

Posting here because the problem is affecting both Freesat and Freeview Kit. It's causing issues in different ways both in the way that BBC1-HD is codeing the series CRID's and total failure of the Accurate recording start and stop recording signals

Freesat Platform (G2 - HDR-1000S)

BBC1-HD England and BBC1-HD Scotland have identical Series and Programme CRID Codes. I have seen this in the past causing issues with the odd recording. G2 Humax boxes at least generate two recordings when set from either BBC1-HD England or BBC1-HD Scotland.

From reading Luke's posts I think that this should not cause issues, but clearly does on Humax G2 boxes Luke if you read this please confirm this is correct. In the past when the BBC have used a different series CRID for Scotland from England the dual recordings do not happen.

This is impacting on recording reservations for other broadcasters simply because one programme is tying up both tuners.

Deleting BBC1- Scotland from your epg will resolve this but of course will not help if the AR codes are not at the correct times.

Humax G2 Boxes and likely the FVP 5000/4000T insist on the same tuner being used for consecutive recordings (despite the FVP units being able to record 4 at once from the same MUX). This only works if the first recording is terminated before the second one should start.

FVP Platform. FVP-5000T

Generally this box has proved very reliable in recording everything set. No longer the BBC has totally screwed up virtually all recordings on BBC1-HD especially with consecutive recordings made on BBC1-HD.

I have recorded BBC1-HD Shakespeare and Hathaway with the recording sandwiched between Doctors and Escape to The Country

Every single recording of Shakespeare And Hathaway has lost enough content at the start to make iplayer the only way to view.

This culminated in Last Fridays episode chopping a whole 10 mins off the beginning of the programme.

Interestingly I haven't seen any postings from owners of Youview boxes, a box that totally relies on accurate recordings. Anyone know if these are immune or no owners have reported similar.

In a double whammy the recent prolonged High Pressure conditions has caused channel dropouts for many.

Thanks for that Graham. I'll see if I can delete Scotland :)

Our recordings of Shakespeare And Hathaway (on Freesat) have also been a little late starting, but not enough for us to need to boot iPlayer to recover what was missed - I got the impression it was only a few seconds.
We did have one episode (2 or 3) failed completely which was very unusual - I don't think we've ever seen a fail on the Freesat box before. We had to iPlayer that obviously.

That should upset all our Scottish contributers.
Well, they are the ones wanting independence, I'm just helping out.

Anyway, after a bit of digging around I managed to delete BBC One Scotland HD, so hopefully that's sorted (until such time as the box decides to put it back perhaps).

Only a factory reset or Freesat re-tune will bring it back.
Thanks for that Graham. I'll see if I can delete Scotland :)

Our recordings of Shakespeare And Hathaway (on Freesat) have also been a little late starting, but not enough for us to need to boot iPlayer to recover what was missed - I got the impression it was only a few seconds.
We did have one episode (2 or 3) failed completely which was very unusual - I don't think we've ever seen a fail on the Freesat box before. We had to iPlayer that obviously.
That should upset all our Scottish contributers.

As our Scottish Members will be getting duplicate recordings from BBC1-HD England they might be doing the Highland fling :)

They can of course resolve this by reciprocating and deleting BBC1-HD England (And Wales as well if they really feel like making a point ;)

As our Scottish Members will be getting duplicate recordings from BBC1-HD England they might be doing the Highland fling :)
I was referring to MikeSh's provocative comment on deleting Scotland rather that deleting BBC Scotland - two completely different things!

Back