BBC SD channels to close - replaced by HD. New Information Channel 799.

Rodders53

As reported elsewhere (Digital Spy), BBC is in process of closing most if not all SD channels on satellite next year.

The BBC is making all of its services available in HD on satellite.
As a result, standard definition (SD) services will be closing.
From early 2023 SD versions of BBC channels will not carry local programming.
Later in the year SD versions of BBC channels on satellite will close entirely.

The above relates certainly for English Regional and pan-UK channels.

Added today (so not on receivers until they are retuned updated overnight) LCN 799 BBC Information channel produces a MHEG slate (varying on the sat box SD vs HD)...

A version of LCN 799 also appears on Freeview. (But don't get too excited it reports my DVB-T Panny TV is OK... and unless that's cos it has an un-connected DVB-S/S2 HD tuner as well iside it certainly won't be. ;)

EDIT: From the horse's mouth the BBC's official statement is here https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/articles/2022/BBC-One-HD-rollout-England and it is better news than I thought!

Last edited:
As reported elsewhere (Digital Spy), BBC is in process of closing most if not all SD channels on satellite next year.

The above relates certainly for English Regional and pan-UK channels.

Added today (so not on receivers until they are retuned updated overnight)
Wonder if that is what scuppered my series record on world cup

Wonder if that is what scuppered my series record on world cup
Not likely.
Housekeeping auto tune updates overnight preserve the recording schedule aka reservations. Manual retunes delete them - but the CF has a way round that for Foxsat-HDRs.

What channel?
Series CRIDs are frequently changed by the broadcasters when they ought not be and typically affect both freesat and Freeview boxes.

I might have got mixed up. On freesat box it was ITV series which did not pick up next episode this morning at 9

I noticed my BBC One channels had changed a couple of days ago. I think my SD had gone to a 700 slot. At least the HD, which I always use, makes more sense with BBC Two.
Now they just need to drag C4 HD up from the depths of the guide :rolleyes:

I noticed my BBC One channels had changed a couple of days ago. I think my SD had gone to a 700 slot. At least the HD, which I always use, makes more sense with BBC Two.
Now they just need to drag C4 HD up from the depths of the guide :rolleyes:
Your BBC South region was the first on Monday 23rd (or perhaps Tuesday via the overnight update).
Can you confirm the SD is in a 700 slot (if so which) as it doesn't appear on my -HDR (although <BBC ONE Sth HD> is in one on mine, and the same LCN may be used, depending on postcode for the legacy SD variant in Region?
Would also be useful to know if it carries the local news, and what 106 gives you (if anything)?

Mine (East) is next Monday on a manual retune (or Tuesday via overnight housekeeping).

C4 HD has been testing their advertising regions (five/six?) on satellite for ages now. Think they have had issues with reliable / placed / timed subtitling (i.e. both DVB for freesat and teletext for $ky); possibly also main/reserve playouts and don't want to fall foul of Ofcom again after the Red Bee server room catastrophe {so other forums tell me}.
I'd love it to happen soon, too. Perhaps it will?

Can you confirm the SD is in a 700 slot
No it isn't, now at least. When I first used the box (a 1010) on Monday one of the channels on the first page (from 101 to about 108?) was clearly not a 10n, I thought it was a 700, and had a note about BBC1 having moved. Since that first use it's sorted itself out with 101 for BBC1HD and 106 showing an 'HD moved' message on the guide - I didn't try and view the channel itself.
I've just had a look through the whole guide and the 700s are all radio it seems. The local BBC1s are all from 950 up. I couldn't see any BBC1 anywhere else, apart from HD on 101 of course.

From another forum BBC South HD is on 101 and also 961 on HD capable freesat devices. SD devices in South and Northern Irish postcodes now get a generic UK-wide BBC ONE and BBC TWO with no opts at all.

So you may no longer see BBC TWO (England) SD on LCN 180 in the South Region, although the HD version is on 102?

The same will happen in other Nations and English Regions as per the published timetable.

All good fun.

NB BBC ONE recording schedules are likely to get a bit messy/deleted at each switch to HD retune event.
Perhaps also BBC TWO and any others like Alba, Parliament and Red Button that go HD also?

What else would I need to do to get the hd channels from south other than do tuning with a south postcode?
You don't need to retune or change postcode. BBC ONE Sth HD is available on LCN 961 of the EPG on freesat hd devices. (BBC TWO HD England is already on 102 in England).

But if you want 101 to be a BBC HD version then a postcode in NI, Wales, Scotland or any allocated to the South Region will do it (and also change the ITV 1 HD region to match and BBC TWO HD for the Nations. {NB Those Nations variants are also available to be tuned to in the LCN 948-998 range.}

Your own region will be getting BBC ONE HD on 101 by the 23rd February at the latest. Possibly sooner. Check the link in post#5 above.

NB Retuning will lose your Scheduled Recording Reservation List, so make a note of those. Not sure a CF backup would restore properly after a retune.

I did get caught by one aspect of this. May be specific to the 1010s.
Slightly late as a warning for regions that changed last Monday but hopefully in time for later changeovers.

I had two series recordings set up for BBC1HD (on Fridays). After the change on Monday I didn't think much about them as they were still there in the schedule, which I visit most days for one reason or another.
Anyway, both failed to record with not even a "Failed" entry in the recordings list - just nothing there at all, and the schedule entries also disappeared without trace too.
Took me a few minutes to realise what must have happened.
Unfortunately I didn't look hard at the schedule entries during the week, so don't know what channel number they might have had - I just saw the programme titles and day were there and moved on. Certainly nothing to attract attention to them.

So after the changeover you should/must redo any schedules for the affected channel(s). I've usually done this on Freeview boxes but the Freesat box seemed to handle channel shifting more gracefully, so I've not been in the habit for that.

Further to the above I had two BBC1 HD series set to record tonight, being 6 days after the shuffle, so I went in this morning to reprogramme them.
One had disappeared and the other was showing channel as BBC One HD Wales.
:confused:

Further to the above I had two BBC1 HD series set to record tonight, being 6 days after the shuffle, so I went in this morning to reprogramme them.
One had disappeared and the other was showing channel as BBC One HD Wales.
:confused:
BBC ONE (and TWO) from the Nations can sometimes be useful for a recording clash, IF they are on at a different time to the England broadcast. (Nations broadcast something else in the slot and time delay it from their Playout servers).

Usually offered you at the time of you using the Guide, but very occasionally I think it's happened to me when a clash occurs AND the Nation move is within the live EPG schedule in a series already set. {Using the same CRIDs}.

I think.

BBC2 (SD) has disappeared from on LCN 180 this morning although it's still there on LCN 968.

Last edited:
BBC2 (SD) has disappeared from on LCN 180 this morning although it's still there on LCN 968.
I seem not to have 180 at all. 968 is still there
As expected on HD boxes on any migrated English region (or Nation for that matter)... BBC Two SD on 180 has gone and is replaced by a Pan-UK SD variant on 968.
(Nations opt/vary the schedule on both One and Two. English Region on One only.)

SD receivers will see that pan UK BBC Two on 102 along with a pan-UK BBC One on 101 (with no opts at all).

Back