BBC Series have not scheduled

hairy_mutley

My recording list shows that tonight's All That Glitters and Saturday's I Can See Your Voice have not scheduled.
I have had to reschedule (the previous events are in the "dead" part of the scheduled events list).
It appears that the Series CRID has changed.
FP.BBC.CO.UK/M/GOYD to FP.BBC.CO.UK/1m/GOYD
FP.BBC.CO.UK/M/GPE2 to FP.BBC.CO.UK/p/41KOR3

Not that I’m interested in those programmes, but “bar stewards” is my response to that. I wish the BBC would stop piddling about with the CRIDs.

Do you have schedchk installed, Checking for changed series crid is one of it options but can be misled if name or time also changes

Ah, you've got me there. It is one of those round-tuit things. I installed it months ago and put it into debug mode intending to look at whether it did what I wanted. On the few occasions I have had a few minutes to look at the diagnostics, I have never been able to determine what they have been trying to tell me. So I haven't bitten the bullet and enabled it :whistling:

:oops: Maybe. What I know is I have an entry in the obsolete schedules list which last recorded on 16th Aug.

A new series of Ghosts started in August. Presumably as this was a new series it was allocated a fresh series CRID.
I think BH is right. I remember noticing that the 'next' date hadn't changed and checked if it was skipping a week for sport or something - it wasn't. I had to make a new reservation and delete the original.
This was after just one or two episodes of the latest series.

As to why they do it? I've given up wondering
ElsaSeriously.jpg

3 (probably)
More than likely. Got a series recording for the BBC 6 o'clock news but every now and then one of the weekend ones doesn't get recorded even though it's gone out at the scheduled time. Next weekend it's fine. I'll try to remember to check the CRID if it happens again.

Take your pick:
  • To defeat series recorders;
  • To drive people to iPlayer;
  • Ineptitude.

3 (probably)
Whilst ineptitude is highly likely with any broadcaster, I think the attempt by most broadcasters to drive people online could well be a large part of the problem. P the viewers off by making them miss an episode. Then point them to the online service as their salvation. Hallelujah! Job done!

Whilst ineptitude is highly likely with any broadcaster, I think the attempt by most broadcasters to drive people online could well be a large part of the problem. P the viewers off by making them miss an episode. Then point them to the online service as their salvation. Hallelujah! Job done!
I can understand that for the commercial channels as domestic recording is terrible for their advertiser's and they can force web users to watch (or at least not be able to easily avoid) the commercials.
But what benefit is there for the BBC?

But what benefit is there for the BBC?
The eventual shutdown of terrestrial tv and all those pesky transmitters? Large savings in energy bills, owning or renting and maintaining transmitter sites. Move everything online and there’s some bills the BBC don’t have to pay. Instead we all have to pay for broadband.

The eventual shutdown of terrestrial tv and all those pesky transmitters?
By using the occasional deliberate CRID change to nudge a few PVR users at a time away from broadcast TV?
I think 'we' would all be dead before that worked through, leaving only the younger 'never watched broadcast' generation anyway. :rolling:

Ineptitude.
I think the real ineptitude occurred many years ago during the creation of the EPG format specification;
They missed the opportunity to include within the EPG data dedicated fields for series number, episode number, new programme/repeat as well as a more logical split programme indicator

Instead we have to rely on imperfect parsing of programme title and description with no format consistency between broadcasters.

Arguably the BBCs decision to change the series crid with each new series of a programme is more consistent with the letter of the specification than adding New: to the programme name - but it is much less user friendly

Arguably the BBCs decision to change the series crid with each new series of a programme is more consistent with the letter of the specification than adding New: to the programme name
But in this case they changed the crid mid-series. That is just stupid.

They may have had a good reason, like they realised it clashed with something else, but even that would come back to poor planning ... AKA ineptitude (AKA stupidity).

For the Olympics they used they used the same crid for all of the programmes so it wasn't possible to set a set a series record for the daily Today at the Games summaries without also recording all of the overnight live broadcasts yet another BBC ineptitude, Channel 4 were much better with the paralympics with different crids for live broadcasts and summaries.

Often seems to happen with sports coverage which I put down to whoever is doing it is an inexperienced intern with an artsy background with no interest in sport.

i don't want to start a new thread for this, and seems here is relevant with discussion of 'other channels' and 'CRIDS'.

Five still don't understand.
Two movies, both on tomorrow and repeated during next week.
Set either showing, and both appear in the schedule.
One movie can be recorded tomorrow then obviously I don't wan't/need the repeat recorded so will have to remove the schedule entry.

More annoyingly for the other movie, tomorrow's flagged as a three-way clash with series that have no alternate showing, so I've removed that one already, and must remember to add it back after tomorrow.

Back