BBC Three to return in January 2022 as broadcast channel

So anyone retuning will see it, or do you need to do something special?
Any one retuning a generic DTT receiver will see it. The freeview epg data does not yet include an LCN for either channel (SD and HD) and therefore a freeview device should ignore it on retuning until sometime on Wednesday 26th, when the LCNs are expected to be included.

You could try using the CLONE option of tunefix-update (example at https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/channel-5-hd.7107/page-6#post-97111), or write your own instructions possibly based on https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/channel-5-hd.7107/#post-96460 .
For BBC THREE HD, most of the needed details that differ from BBC ONE HD can be obtained from https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?lang=en&liste=1&live=9&mux=BBCB-PSB3&nav=mux

You can't retune it on a T2 because it has no name and no LCN until Wed.
I did it with a tunefix-update database mod. supplying the parameters needed (like I did with C5 HD back in 2016 I think, before official service).

One minute they're bringing back the puerile BBC3, next minute they're talking about axing the informative and cultural BBC2 as an economy measure. Sheesh. We're doomed.

One minute they're bringing back the puerile BBC3, next minute they're talking about axing the informative and cultural BBC2 as an economy measure. Sheesh. We're doomed.
Well due to Nadine Dorres freezing the licence fee for 2 years the BBC now have a £2 billion hole in their finances, that's what it equates to at the end of 2 years.

Don't blame the BBC, they wouldn't be cutting any of this stuff if they were funded properly.

Yes, I understand that, but ditch BBC3 not BBC2! Hopefully it's just sabre-rattling.

Don't blame the BBC, they wouldn't be cutting any of this stuff if they were funded properly.
What does "funded properly" mean? From where? By who? How?

Surely the debate should be whether the BBC has been cutting its cloth according to its means. Can't afford to compete with commercial channels for top name presenters? OK, don't. It's an inflationary arms race. If the BBC didn't compete, the big names wouldn't have the bargaining power. Everyone starts as a no-name anyway.

Make the BBC go commercial? No. That would result in loss of diversity.

Can't afford to compete for coverage of national sporting occasions? Easy: ban exclusive deals, give BBC the right to access key events and anything with British participation regardless of who else might be covering it commercially.

Frankly, £160 (or whatever) a year is not a bad deal, but I think that should be focussed on providing nationally important content such as news, current affairs, culture, education. Pure mindless entertainment can be found elsewhere, and those who exclusively indulge in it and think they shouldn't be subject to a licence fee can consider it a levy on bad taste and the desire not to be informed.

Smoke that.

The BBC is not in charge of what its means are. They had been assuming, quite reasonably in my view, that the licence fee would rise in line with inflation and therefore their funding would be unchanged. But with very little warning Nadine Dorres was appointed culture secretary (or whatever her exact job is) and froze it for 2 years. The BBC have not had anything like enough time to plan for cuts of that magnitude. This is not a business that can forecast future revenues and plan accordingly, the BBC's income is set at short notice by government fiat.

Bit of an oxymoron (with the stress on the second syllable) Dorries and Culture. A load of balls, anuses and toes. (Dinner on I’m not a celebrity I want oodles of dosh)

I wonder how many licence payers who do not already subscribe to a sports channel will be thrilled about this.
Assuming the BBC paid £200 million (that's over 4 years apparently) as the junior partner in this deal, that's 2.5% of the savings they need to make due to the licence fee changes since they need to save £2 billion a year.

Assuming the BBC paid £200 million (that's over 4 years apparently) as the junior partner in this deal, that's 2.5% of the savings they need to make due to the licence fee changes since they need to save £2 billion a year.
It may only be 2.5% but sport has a very limited shelf life, that sum spent on quality drama would gain revenue from sales all over the globe and from repeat viewing for years. How many people even in this country have bothered to watch the last Six nations more than once.

The BBC is not in charge of what its means are.
Neither am I in control of my means, but my bills are going up regardless. Poor excuse, and all the more reason not to be frittering cash on the likes of BBC3.

"We have to be relevant to the younger audience". Why? Supply what the audience should have as a public service, not what they would be prepared to pay for elsewhere.

I notice that the African Nations football is being shown on this channel tonight. Strange decision for a channel purported to target 16-24 year olds.

At least it's available in HD in our area (Caldbeck), which is more than can be said for BBC4 & Quest.

Strange decision for a channel purported to target 16-24 year olds.
I noticed in the 'big launch' blurb that there was football on the second night and also thought "Huh?"

Given the way they seem to scatter programme types around anyway, and often split and move things too, I don't know why they bother with all this costly, and often annoying, branding. They are called 1, 2, 3 and 4, so just spread the programmes across them as seems sensible. (Obviously keep regular series, etc, on the same channel.)

One good thing about iPlayer is you can invariably watch a whole series even when some episodes from a current series haven't been broadcast.

One good thing about iPlayer is you can invariably watch a whole series even when some episodes from a current series haven't been broadcast.
One poor thing about the programmes that are available in advance of the broadcast date is that they don't include Audio Description until they have been broadcast with Audio Description.

Back