Channel 5 HD

• The 1.2.20/3.03 I added CH5 HD manually using the script via telent but then later retuned the BBC B HD mux anyway. This one is recording.
  • The 1.3.12/3.03 I added CH5 HD manually using the script via telent. This one is not recording.
And to ask the obvious two questions:
Is any one who updated early and haven't since retuned NOT having problems?
Is any one who tuned traditionally HAVING problems?

Someone on Digital Spy is saying that Channel 5's Playout Provider cannot provide (or hasn't been paid to provide), 5.1 capability, although it does offer it via Demand 5 on Sky OnDemand, on the same thread they are also stating that the BBC had decided that there is little demand to provide 5.1 which is why they rarely provide it even when available, as it is on Top Gear etc.

There's plenty of demand from me for 5.1 audio, I go out of my way to find it. I rarely watch films on ITV since they don't do 5.1 on ITV HD.

Last edited:
I totally agree, It wouldn't surprise me if the BBC said they shut down BBC3 (Terrestrial) due to public demand, where-as in reality it was just another cost cutting exercise

Last edited:
Not sure what happened here as on the top HDR it looks as though the value from BBC1 wasn't copied over. I presume that usTsId is the same as
tsidx of tbl_svc or is it something different?
The lower HDR-FOX details have been overwritten by a normal retune before the screenshot was taken and has behaved OK since.
upload_2016-5-10_19-34-1.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-10_19-32-2.png
    upload_2016-5-10_19-32-2.png
    6 KB · Views: 11
Not sure what happened here as on the top HDR it looks as though the value from BBC1 wasn't copied over.
Interesting...
I presume that usTsId is the same as tsidx of tbl_svc or is it something different?
usTsId is the same between TBL_SVC and TBL_TS, as is tsIdx.
The lower HDR-FOX details have been overwritten by a normal retune before the screenshot was taken and has behaved OK since.
This is the trouble when you only have 1 (or 2) units to compare. The usTsId was (and still is) 16514 on the units I have access to, but yours is obviously different (due to differences in the broadcast stream in your area).
The script in post #1 assumes 16514 and doesn't copy it from BBC ONE HD (16515 in your case). If you'd used the tunefix-update package that would have created the database entries correctly. That's the penalty for being an early adopter I guess and I refined the process in modifying tunefix, but thanks for clearing it up. I was intrigued....

I have modified post #1 to correct the script.
For tunefix users, you can paste this line into /mod/boot/tunefix-update.conf and it will fix C5 HD when you next restart:
Code:
CLONE|BBC ONE HD|105|Channel 5 HD|17728|6400|6401|6402|6401|www.five.tv
Or users can just re-run the script...

Last edited:
really stupid decision on Channel 5's part. It looks ugly too next to "Channel 4 HD".
Whoever at Channel 5 obviously thought the same (or is reading here and agreed with me ;)), as they have now modified the name
from "Channel 5HD" to "Channel 5 HD".

. . . the BBC had decided that there is little demand to provide 5.1 which is why they rarely provide it even when available
Just a brief note for anyone looking for 5.1 content on Freeview, The BBC are currently transmitting 'Later with Jooles Holland' in 5.1 on BBC2 HD, I'm not sure there are many other programmes currently doing this on the BBC

Just a brief note for anyone looking for 5.1 content on Freeview, The BBC are currently transmitting 'Later with Jooles Holland' in 5.1 on BBC2 HD, I'm not sure there are many other programmes currently doing this on the BBC

Later with Jooles Holland is always in 5.1 sound on HD, it's been like that for years. Doctor Who is always in 5.1. Many films on the BBC are in 5.1, as are a higher proportion of films on C4 HD. I'm not saying it's a lot, but there is 5.1 sound stuff on the BBC and C4 HD channels. ITV1 HD never broadcasts in 5.1 by contrast, bunch of cheapskates.

And some US imports are in 5.1 sound. When Marvel's Agents of Shield was on C4 it was in 5.1 sound (on HD obviously). Now it's moved to E4 there's no HD version on Freeview, I don't know what the situation is on Freesat.

But at least they broadcast regional news in HD, unlike the BBC where you have to channel hop every 1/2 hour in the morning, bunch of cheapscates.
Maybe had they not had a static income (falling in real terms) for 7 years, then there would be money to do this. Maybe if they charged as much as $ky or BT $port per month, there would be money to do this. Maybe if the culture secretary had an ounce of culture in his tiny little brain then he wouldn't be foisting social support for the old on them and there would be money to do this (he won't survive the next re-shuffle, mark my words). Maybe if they didn't have to follow lots of stupid 'rulez' that don't seem to apply to any other broadcasters there would be money to do this. Maybe if...

And how did BT turn itself from a telephone company into a TV broadcaster without anyone whining? If the BBC do anything they are accused of killing whatever the competition is, but the 'rulez' don't apply in reverse for some reason. Why isn't anyone whining that BT $port and $$ky $$port is killing BBC Sport?

Last edited:
I have no idea why the BBC is supposed not to compete with the commercial broadcasters! They knew the game before they got into it.

Why isn't anyone whining that BT Sport is killing BBC Sport?
Maybe it's because only a tiny minority of the population have/have heard of BT Sport . And maybe that isn't the reason.
How does not broadcasting BBC3 save a lot of money? I would have thought that production costs, which continue, would be far higher than transmission costs.

Because the commercial broadcasters complain, and like sheep, the do-gooders listen and try to force action.
No do-gooders are involved in this. The current government is ideologically opposed to public service broadcasting and would carve up the BBC and flog it off to their mates for less than it is worth if they could get away with it. So when their chums/ donors complain about the BBC crowding-out competition the government listens. The fact that the loudest complainant has an interest in a competing TV company, and is in charge of several newspapers that firmly back the government at election time is neither here nor there. A very British type of corruption? In the words of Francis Urqhart/ Frank Underwood, you might think so, I couldn't possibly comment.

Substitute my 'commercial broadcasters' and my 'do-gooders' with your 'chums/donors' and your 'The current Govenment' and I think that you will find we are saying pretty much the same thing.

Back