BBC Two HD launching 26th March 2013

af123

Administrator
Staff member
BBC Two HD Channel to launch 26 March

The BBC today announces it will launch BBC Two HD at 6am on Tuesday 26 March. BBC Two HD will be available on Sky HD (169), Freeview HD/YouView (102), Virgin Media (187), Freesat HD (109) and BT Vision (852).
The announcement follows the successful launch of BBC One HD on 3 November 2010.
BBC Two HD will replace the existing BBC HD Channel and will be available subscription-free on all digital television platforms offering HD channels.
Janice Hadlow, Controller of BBC Two, says: "BBC One HD has already proved to be highly valued by our audiences and I'm delighted that we're able to follow this with the launch of BBC Two in HD. The launch of BBC Two HD will allow us to showcase more of our programmes at their very best – helping to highlight our commitment to high quality, engaging and ambitious programmes on BBC Two."
The BBC Two HD channel will be a simulcast network version of the BBC Two schedule with a raft of new programmes available in HD for the first time including Paul Hollywood – Bread, The Fall, Science Britannica and Keeping Britain Alive. Old favourites such as Mock The Week, QI and Springwatch will also remain at the heart of the channel's offer.

I think I will make little difference to Hi-Def viewing on the BBC, we will benefit from getting every BBC2 program in HD and we lose the selection of BBC3 and BBC4 programs that were also transmitted in HD on the BBC HD channel. I would guess that there will be slightly less 'real' Hi-Def content after the change because old BBC2 programs that were not recorded in HD will be up-scaled and we will lose some 'real' Hi-def stuff that will now only air on BBC3/4 without the benefit of the BBC HD simulcast, I suppose they can always migrate better quality BBC3/4 stuff over to the new BBC2 HD and do a swap with the lower quality BBC2 stuff

I wonder whether our boxes will still record 102 without a retune. My gut feeling says yes, but I'm having a hard time working out the logic behind that (must be having a bad day).

It will be similar to ITV1 rebranding as itv. No user action required.

Although if you have any existing timers set up for the BBC HD showing of a programme on BBC4 etc then you may want to keep an eye on them.

I don't think a re-tune will be necessary, it will work as it does now displaying '102 BBC HD' instead of ' 102 BBC2 HD'

I can confirm that the change to BBC TWO HD has happened, and does Not require a retune.

Back