BBC1/2 end time errors and pixelated pictures.

charentejohn

Anybody else having a problem with these lately.
All other channels are ok, I have the box set to add 3 mins to start and end of recording but BBC is still failing from time to time.
Recorded a movie last night and lost the last 2 mins (some movie and all titles) so actually 5 mins short of correct. Sometimes a pain having to add the extra time as it causes conflicts.

Just seems a lot of problems with BBC1/2 at the moment, some pixellation on thinsg (not that common) but ending way too soon so I assume they have got the end time marker way out.
Will they fix this or is there something I can do, I can just set end times to +10 mins but seems a bit drastic and unnecessary. Everything else seems ok.

Just an addition to this as I read about a bit and found a post where it was suggested that adding a few minutes to the start/end times actually interfered with the automatic stop start function - true or false ?
So would I be better off removing the additional minutes and take a chance on the automatic system ?
Ironically I added the minutes because a couple of recordings lost the start or end.
Info is for the T2 but also applies to HDR ? http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/things-every-hd-fox-t2-hdr-fox-t2-owner-should-know.1858/#post-28590

Yes padding a recording turns off Accurate Recording. If you use auto padding then there's no AR. The BBC are generally pretty reliable at AR so I would forget the padding for a while. If you edit the times recording starts and stops at the scheduled times adjusted by the padding time. The box wakes up and starts recording at the specified time and stops at the scheduled end time plus the padding. For a programme set to use AR the box wakes 15 minutes before the scheduled time and looks for the broadcaster signalling the programme has started.

No problems with picture breakup on my Foxsat-HDR, sounds like a dish/lnb/cabling issue. What signal strength/quality does diagnostics say you have ?

All my 1N and 2F channels are 100/100.

I only tend to edit timers to add manual padding for live sport especially if there is a possibility of extra time and penalties.

Thanks for the confirmation of the settings. Signal and quality normally 100%, occasional drop to 90% quality on main channels.
Other stuff, horror etc, can be lower but never less than 60%. I think that is due to low transmission power etc, but main 4 channels and Film 4, my usual viewing, are ok.
Probably just a one off, but recently I have had a few minor hiccups on BBC channels, just quick pixellation then ok again.

I will go with the auto recording and see how it goes (recording tonight so wish me luck:)).
I only just found out how to amend the actual record time, so if unsure I can always add a bit of time one set using standard record function.

Thanks for the confirmation of the settings. Signal and quality normally 100%, occasional drop to 90% quality on main channels.
Other stuff, horror etc, can be lower but never less than 60%. I think that is due to low transmission power etc, but main 4 channels and Film 4, my usual viewing, are ok.
Probably just a one off, but recently I have had a few minor hiccups on BBC channels, just quick pixellation then ok again.

I will go with the auto recording and see how it goes (recording tonight so wish me luck:)).
I only just found out how to amend the actual record time, so if unsure I can always add a bit of time one set using standard record function.

The lower power channels will be the wide beam transponders (Mostly from Eutelsat28A). The transmitted power is much the same, they have a wider coverage (Pan European) so the beam field strength is lower, therefore your dish collects less microwave energy.

Sounds right Graham, had to be something like that.
Just tried recording on Auto and all working fine now.
What must have happened is, as I specified extra time start and finish, the auto was ignored but BBC in particular were running late by a few mins, or more, on some programs.
They do this a lot, often about 3 mins late on program start, yet still showing trailers etc for other programs, I often think skip these and catch up some time ?
I had also heard companies can 'speed up' programs by a small amount, too little to notice, to catch up a couple of minutes or so per program, not sure if that is true.

I had also heard companies can 'speed up' programs by a small amount, too little to notice, to catch up a couple of minutes or so per program, not sure if that is true.

I think you may be referring to Film content. When a film is digitised for broadcasting the original frame rate is 24 frames/second. One way to get over the problem is transmit at 25fps and electronically correct the slight change in audio pitch. As a result the playing time is a bit shorter than if you watched the movie at a cinema.

That could be it, usual 'urbam myth' scenario. Someone heard of that and it got changed to the companies doing this to shorten times to maipulate the schedule.

Back