BBC3 Coming Off Freeview

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
According to the 10pm BBC News, BBC3 is moving to Internet delivery only (apparently the main audience for BBC3 tends to watch on line rather than live broadcast).

Take this as a glimpse of the future.

Saw this coming a mile off. It's why I campaigned to humax to include support for mheg-ic streaming to future proof the box.
Streaming is so much cheaper than broadcast. Once the bbc have got it nailed, expect rapid take up by everyone else.

It's a good point prpr, maybe they will just rent out the bbc three timeslot?

Let us hope the BBC are just testing public opinion as they did before reversing their decision to shut down 6 Music and the Asian Network radio channel. I think the biggest loss would be BBC3 being removed from the EPG as I don't regularly look at what is available on the BBC I-player menus

I would have thought the major cost for any channel would be for it's content not it's transmission medium.

I think it will be the equivalent to putting a programme that is performing badly from a viewing figure perspective, in a 'graveyard slot'. Silently killing it off but without suddenly completely pulling the plug.

Is that not a comment that belongs in the "Assume v Presume" topic where they are currently discussing the inconsistencies of the English language?

According to the 10pm BBC News, BBC3 is moving to Internet delivery only (apparently the main audience for BBC3 tends to watch on line rather than live broadcast).

Take this as a glimpse of the future.

Wrong forum, isn't it, or are they keeping it on Freesat/Youview/Freetime?

To be replaced by a BBC1+1 service, plus an extra hour of CBBC apparently. So that's not a 24 hour BBC1+1 then, and it can't be to cut the cost of transmission - only to shave £50M off production costs by not having to produce material to fill a broadcast channel.

Of course this is the right section - BBC3 coming off is a Freeview subject, and what's replacing it is a Freeview subject!

The fact that the BBC are talking about the closure of the BBC3 channel strongly implies that it will be all media, and the content to be otherwise viewed won't be on anything seen as BBC3

Back