BBC's new red button service

I think this will work like the IP channels (which tend to make the Humax crash). The idea is that devices with the appropriate capability are able to download apps on demand, which are then able to access Internet services that are not tied to the code that is pre-installed.

It looks like these new Red Button services will be able to access iPlayer content directly via the red button menus - but I don't expect the HD/HDR-FOX to be able to do this.

I would not know how to connect to the IP channels even if they did work....
I hope then that the TV portal Iplayer keeps working otherwise that is a major f**k you to anyone with a Humax. The portal was a major factor in why i bought it.

There are several available on Freeview, "Connect" for example. They are listed HERE (click) as "streamed channels" - the broadcast data just tells the receiver box to go fetch from the Internet. They cause so much havoc with the HDR-FOX users are well advised to delete them.

I do not imagine there is any immediate danger to the normal iPlayer.

My Tvonics DTR-HD500 connects to BBC iPlayer via the Red Button. See:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=54931955&postcount=900

May be Tvonics was prescient with their:

"There have been rumours that other TV companies are looking at doing their 'on demand' services using the same method as the BBC use on our box, i.e. using the digital text (MHEG) interface, if they do that then the box should support them immediately and if not we'll definately prioritising fixing any problems."

Unfortunately with the demise of Tvonics, it is not clear if this move by BBC will cause problems with my current iPlayer capability.

Martin

I just saw the red button come up on BBC2 for a minute - it said "ASIAN NETWORK REWIND". Weird!

In what way?? Basically if you actually (even accidentally) select one, they have a habit of crashing the Humax. Yes, they do reappear each retune, but I don't let mine retune any more often than is strictly necessary, and I strip out all the crap services when I do (group select and delete).

In what way?? Basically if you actually (even accidentally) select one, they have a habit of crashing the Humax. Yes, they do reappear each retune, but I don't let mine retune any more often than is strictly necessary, and I strip out all the crap services when I do (group select and delete).

Brilliant! So, who is to blame? Humax or the Freeview Numpties?

Humax claim the HDR-Fox T2 was designed before the IP TV services were available and are not obliged to update the firmware, It has been reported that it is not possible to up date the HDR, because hardware changes would need to be made. Users have also been told by Humax that an update will be made available in the future, which is obviously a contradiction, the guess by most people is that it is possible to make IP TV work on the HDR (as they have done on the very similar DigitalStream) but that they probably won't

Maybe the update they're referring to was just to make it not crash, rather than to work fully. Even if they can legally get away with not having to support the functionality, they should still provide a fix to stop it crashing.

There are several available on Freeview, "Connect" for example. They are listed HERE (click) as "streamed channels" - the broadcast data just tells the receiver box to go fetch from the Internet. They cause so much havoc with the HDR-FOX users are well advised to delete them.

I do not imagine there is any immediate danger to the normal iPlayer.

I just tuned all of those in on my T2, and not a single crash! I am mortified!

Mind you, there didn't seem to be much going on on any of them! :D

Back