Before I reformat....

af123 -- You weren't kidding about the tests taking a while. It was 6 hours or so in my case. I think it's looking good. Here were the final results (only line #1 seemed to do the extended test):

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error
# 1 Extended offline Completed without error 00% 10586 -
# 2 Short offline Completed without error 00% 10581 -
# 3 Short offline Completed without error 00% 10551 -
# 4 Short offline Completed without error 00% 10531 -
# 5 Short offline Completed without error 00% 6953 -

Ezra Pound -- I prefer to use the wifi on the Humax because my nearest ethernet socket is from an Airport Express connected to my Slingbox. I've been using that connection whilst carrying out all this diagnosis and repair so I could probably switch between them but it is more convenient to use the wifi for the Humax. I'm mac based but do have a Bootcamp partition with XP I could use to install ext2fsd but I might also look at reading ext3 disks on the mac. This seems to be my best hope in my preliminary research:
http://blog.applegrew.com/2011/12/access-ext3ext2-file-system-on-mac-osx-lion-10-7/
Black Hole -- I'll look at the wireless helper but suspect it only operates once the box has booted up and my problem is that it does not complete booting up in order to run it.
Many thanks again for everyone's assistance. You add great value to owning the Humax.

Back