Blu-ray / DVD Regions

I have seen mentions of LFE Left and LFE Right.

I think that is to allow you to use your amp's left and right outputs as inputs to your subwoofer, if you don't have a dedicated output on the amp. You then use the crossover in the subwoofer to pass through to the left and right speakers.

Here is a paper on using multiple subs to minimize standing waves:

http://www.aes.org/tmpFiles/elib/20130821/13680.pdf

The discussion on p351 is interesting. Much recorded music of the popular sort only has mono bass anyway, according to the author. Films only carry a single LFE channel. There have however been experiments where a blindfolded person can tell where a sub is located by moving their head. Having an effect come from the wrong area of the sound stage is then going to be strange. (An explosion to the left of you is heard in front or to the right.)

I think that is to allow you to use your amp's left and right outputs as inputs to your subwoofer, if you don't have a dedicated output on the amp. You then use the crossover in the subwoofer to pass through to the left and right speakers.
That is not what I'm referring to at all.

I have just been looking at a Pioneer AV amp that won amp of the year 2013 and unless I am mistaken it does not have a headphone socket! What craziness is this? :eek:

Why would you want stereo headphones connected when you have just paid for a zillion speaker device:frantic:

Not sure which Pioneer AV amp you are referring to but the SC2023 has a headphone socket behind a central 'flap', interestingly although it has twin LFE phono outputs, the front display only shows one LFE channel

poineer-sc2023.jpg poineer-sc2023-LFE.jpg

Why would you want stereo headphones connected when you have just paid for a zillion speaker device
To fit my viewing habits. How else to briefly keep track of what is happening between races while tootling around the house and garden doing odd bits of housework?

Just looked at the user manual and it does have a headphone socket (inconveniently) behind the front panel. Actually I think I would permanently connect my wireless headphones base station to one of the auxiliary RCA line outs instead. It's a PIONEER SCLX86.

Why would you want stereo headphones connected when you have just paid for a zillion speaker device:frantic:
Because the noise from those zillion speakers will drive your family and neighbours mad and you will end up doing most of your listening via headphones.
It used to be accepted wisdom in hi-fi circles that fewer speakers were generally better because of the disproportionate cost and difficulty of keeping multiple speakers ( or more specifically drivers per speaker ) accurately balanced and aligned in terms of stereo imagery. These even went as far as saying unnecessary speakers ( eg those in TVs, portable radios, phones etc ) should be removed from the listening room because of their sympathetic vibrations. Then someone pointed out that your ears also contain a vibrating membrane so perhaps they should be removed as well........

Then someone pointed out that your ears also contain a vibrating membrane so perhaps they should be removed as well........

Interestingly enough, your ears only contain two such membranes. I find the physics of surround sound fascinating!

Has anybody come across a DVD or Blu-ray player that can stream the actual disk playback by DLNA (with HDCP no doubt)?

Back