Blu-ray / DVD Regions

What about a DVD player with surround sound and upgrade the speakers if you find the need.

I already bought the Blu-ray player.

Anyway, I ordered a pair of Vision AV-1000 2x12W active speakers from an eBayer for £39.99 inc yesterday, and they arrived this morning by DPD (on the first minute of their stated delivery window). Choice of two inputs plus mute, volume, treble, & base on a small remote control (I will pull that into a universal remote), and white without me having to paint them (to match the decor). One slight negative is the cables running into the rear of the master speaker (particularly the mains Telefunken connector) requires a bit of a stand-off from the wall, but I can fit a right-angle connector.

I have connected them up and run the start of Skyfall (Adele at as much volume as I am ever likely to want) and these speakers are great, plenty good enough for me. Just a little mains hum audible with no sound, but totally drowned out with sound on (and the Qumi fan drowns out the hum with sound off anyway).

Job done.

My DIY cinema, projection diagonal 79" (@ 16:9):

Qumi Q2 - £NA (from stock, £500 when bought a couple of years ago)
Blu-ray player - £80
Speakers - £40
Screen (white blackout blind) - £70
10m HDMI cable plus adapter - £15
Mounting hardware & misc cables - £30 (approx)​

Still to obtain: second power adapter for Qumi (to avoid moving the existing from place to place), HDMI & audio routing.

They are big, like three hummies on top of one another. Bigger than a stereo amp from 40 years ago.
It will have to house up to 7 or 8 100+Watt amplifies and the powers supply for them, my old Sony DD5.1 Amp. has 5 off 110Watt amps in it and a transformer that must weigh 2o pounds (total weight is 29 pounds)

One amp I saw said "7.2" on it, whatever the .2 means, so maybe that's 9 separate output stages? 100W per channel would be total overkill in my 15'6"x12'6" room!

Only if it was delivering 100W through each channel all the time. Which it won't be. Nowhere near.

Not really. The overhead is what gives it the room to cope with the transients which is what helps it sound better than a lower-powered system.

One amp I saw said "7.2" on it, whatever the .2 means, so maybe that's 9 separate output stages? 100W per channel would be total overkill in my 15'6"x12'6" room!
The .2 in 7.2 and the .1 in 5.1 are sub woofer channels, unlike the '5' or '7' channels that cover the full audio band the subs only cover say 5Hz to about 200 Hz hence about a tenth of a full audio channel. It is quite unusual to have a power amplifier built-in for sub channels, they are usually phono outputs that feed a powered Sub-Woofer with a built-in Amplifier. So my Amp only has 5 power amps and the Richer sounds STRDH820 has 7 power amps (7 X 115W)

OK I get that - but if the subs are self-powered, the .2 implies stereo? I had a guess that the .2 indicated a doubled-up sub channel (for more POWER), and you could actually chain as many self-powered subs as you like to a .1 output. With supposedly no directional information in the sub-200Hz band, is this just marketing?

Although the STRDH820 has two phonos to drive two powered Sub-Woofers, I can find no info. to suggest that they carry different signals and as you say there is little or no directional information in the subs. so I would say it is just marketing, in the same way the 7, 9 and even 11 full channel amplifiers available are also just 'the latest must have' item dreamed up by marketing men, DD5.1 is a standard that is widely available, 7.1 and above is like rocking horse S**T to find

I thought the .2 was part of the dual-zone capability feeding one sub in in each of two rooms?

With supposedly no directional information in the sub-200Hz band, is this just marketing?

This is now known to be an urban myth. People can detect directional information in the subwoofer range, via phase changes, as their heads move slightly. The idea that five small speakers plus a sub is adequate is incorrect. That was marketing.

Anyway, you have something you are satisfied with now, so great.

It will have to house up to 7 or 8 100+Watt amplifies and the powers supply for them, my old Sony DD5.1 Amp. has 5 off 110Watt amps in it and a transformer that must weigh 2o pounds (total weight is 29 pounds)

My modest amp has two rear channels plus two high front channels too, or you can re-configure two of those to bi-wire the front speakers.

All you ever need, if there is just one person listening, is 4 channels: Front Left, Front Right, Rear and one above your head. That gives you 3-D sound. If you just want the Dolby 5.1 2D sound, you only need three speakers. All, of course, should be full range!

So you support the idea that .2 is stereo subs then?

I should think it means 2 outputs on the rear of the amp, that is all. Identical outputs. You would need full range surround speakers to get directional low frequency. Usually, only one LFE track is encoded in the signal.

Back