Booted to Wizard...

Not a problem and must admit my ignorance in not knowing how to 'quote' the text. In many forums, it's usually the pair of double quotes icon but I couldn't see one. Thanks for any help and ideas to pin it down. Cheers

We get many 'It doesn't work' type posts, that it's sometimes a bit tedious asking the poster to explain exactly what they mean so that an accurate diagnosis can be made without assumption having to be made.
And they often get huffy when you tell them they've not supplied enough info!

Hi Black Hole, I have (re)read the Newbie Bit and couldn't work out the "Quote+" bit. If I click it, all I see is a banner saying 'Message Added to Multi-Quote' and don't see that anywhere in a reply, etc. This is why I initially copied the texts an put them in quote marks in my reply to prpr. I have done a search too for the term 'multi-quote' in the formal and nothing seems to comes up in the help section.

Having played around with it a bit, I have worked out now how it works now and thought it might be useful to add this to the help pages:

To reply to multiple posts from a topic in a single reply, you can also use the Multi-Quote feature. At the side of each post there are 3 buttons, these are; Like, +Quote and Reply. The Like and Reply work as you expect but the Multi-Quote adds an extra step. Let's presume you see a post and want to reply to more than one question, but in one go. Click the +Quote plus button for the question you want to respond to (you will see a banner saying this has been added to mult-quote) and repeat for each one you want to reply to. Now scroll to the bottom of the page where you will see the normal reply panel but it will be initially blank (unlike the Reply button which would have put the query in ready). You will now see a new button appear in the lower part of the reply panel called 'Insert Quotes', click this and your list of selected items will appear, you can remove some here if not needed and then click the 'Quote Messages' button. This will now paste the select items in to the response field, ready for you to reply to as normal in a single post.

Hope this is some help.

Cheers

p.s. I also realise this is not the usage for the multiple responses in this case :)

I have not found any real need or use for +quote, I find it easier and more intuitive to just highlight the text to be quoted and click on reply, and then repeat for the next portion to be quoted - it adds the text to the the current Reply at the cursor position and doesn't start a new post. But whatever works for you.

all I see is a banner saying 'Message Added to Multi-Quote' and don't see that anywhere in a reply, etc.

Having played around with it a bit, I have worked out now how it works now and thought it might be useful to add this to the help pages:
No. If you are not using a compatible browser, that's your own problem. Do you expect me to cater for every possible variation of presentation there might be if your device/software is not rendering the HTML properly?

I have not found any real need or use for +quote
It works across multiple threads. If you were restricted to Reply, you would have to start the reply in one thread, then cut the accumulated text from the reply box in that thread and paste it into the reply in the target thread (possible, but tedious).

Last edited:
It works across multiple threads. If you were restricted to Reply, you would have to start the reply in one thread, then cut the accumulated text from the reply box in that thread and paste it into the reply in the target thread (possible, but tedious).
:rolling:Yes, I've not read every single item you have written on the "Newbies" thread (sorry!) - and fell into the cut and paste trap. It is tedious!

No. If you are not using a compatible browser, that's your own problem. Do you expect me to cater for every possible variation of presentation there might be if your device/software is not rendering the HTML properly?
Sorry Black Hole, I was only trying to be helpful with adding a guide about the "+Quote" feature. It's nothing to do with the browser and no, I don't expect you to accommodate every one. Thanks.

So, why wasn't the "insert quotes" button apparent to you?

I have (re)read the Newbie Bit and couldn't work out the "Quote+" bit. If I click it, all I see is a banner saying 'Message Added to Multi-Quote' and don't see that anywhere in a reply, etc.

So, why wasn't the "insert quotes" button apparent to you?
EDITED: Because it didn't appear to work when I was on my tablet and, there's no mention of how the "+Quote" feature copies to the reply (and so I didn't see how it works) in the Newbies Guide. In any case, my suggestion was only to add it to help, but no worries, just delete the post/thread if you think it's not needed. Thanks.

Last edited:
Because it didn't appear to work when I was on my tablet
Tablet browsers and operating systems are notoriously bad at this kind of thing, but it works OK on iOS12/Safari and Android7/Chrome. Xenforo software updates have made the forum play much more nicely with iOS than it used to. The main thing is to remember to scroll down to find things currently off-screen. Personally I don't use forum apps such as Tapatalk, I wouldn't trust them not to screw things up.

no worries
The remaining issue is that you haven't convinced me there is not enough information already provided to navigate the options if you look properly at what's on the screen, but neither have you explicitly acknowledged that it was your mistake not spotting the button in the first place. I will look to see if there is some small tweak I can make, so it is clearer.

just delete the post/thread if you think it's not needed
All discussion is relevant, even if it results only in preserving the status quo. Others may go the same way.

Note added:
Reply options immediately paste the text into the reply box at the end of the current topic; quote options gather the selected passages into a buffer which can then be used in the reply box for any topic – click the "insert quotes" button to open the buffer and review the sections gathered previously (if there is nothing in the buffer, the "insert quotes" button is not displayed).

Tablet browsers and operating systems are notoriously bad at this kind of thing, but it works OK on iOS12/Safari and Android7/Chrome. Xenforo software updates have made the forum play much more nicely with iOS than it used to. The main thing is to remember to scroll down to find things currently off-screen. Personally I don't use forum apps such as Tapatalk, I wouldn't trust them not to screw things up.

I was actually using Chrome on an Android Tablet and, as I mentioned earlier, I did see the popup 'Message Added to Multi-Quote', but I was just unsure what to do with it thereafter, something which you have kindly cleared up for me now.

The remaining issue is that you haven't convinced me there is not enough information already provided to navigate the options if you look properly at what's on the screen, but neither have you explicitly acte,knowledged that it was your mistake not spotting the button in the first place. I will look to see if there is some small tweak I can make, so it is clearer.

Sorry, I didn't realise you were waiting for an admission and apology, in which case, you have them both. Yes, my error I didn't see, nor did I understand the info provided and I'm sorry if it has been a problem. Thanks.

Sorry, I didn't realise you were waiting for an admission and apology, in which case, you have them both. Yes, my error I didn't see, nor did I understand the info provided and I'm sorry if it has been a problem. Thanks.

consider yourself as having been blackholed. loads of other people have. wear it as a badge of honour. keep calm and carry on

So that's okay then is it? I'm expected to be subservient and anyone else can just leave things hanging.

I have (re)read the Newbie Bit and couldn't work out the "Quote+" bit. If I click it, all I see is a banner saying 'Message Added to Multi-Quote' and don't see that anywhere in a reply, etc.
...but, as demonstrated, there's a great big button which reads "insert quotes" - and no retraction was offered until I prised one out.

Last edited:
Back