Both HDRs Can't See Each Other But My Laptop Can See Them Both

My router is a bog standard Plusnet/Thompson TG585. No range extenders, just my laptop and smart phone. I can see and play them both on my laptop as well through VLC.

Is my network an automatic thing as I have never knowingly made a network? I'm a bit clueless on networking so please forgive my ignorance.

My router is a bog standard Plusnet/Thompson TG585. No range extenders, just my laptop and smart phone. I can see and play them both on my laptop as well through VLC.
I had a look at a Thomson TG585 maual on this link http://c7942337.myzen.co.uk/routers/zen/thomson/TG585v7/TG585v7-manual.pdf Have a look at section 4.1.3 on page 35; is UPnP enabled? If it is, is Extended security enabled?
Is my network an automatic thing as I have never knowingly made a network?
Certainly I would describe a collection of devices connected to a router and communicating with each other as a network. Yes these days most of the connections are made with no more than a click of a button or two but not quite automatically.

I can see them both through VLC on my android phone.
With the Humax DLNA service turned on and using UPnP in VLC?

Neither HDR can see the other
By Media >> Storage >> Network? You have to be patient; for unknown reasons it takes a while for external DLNA shares to register. You would be better off using network-shares-automount.

Is my network an automatic thing as I have never knowingly made a network?
Of course it's a bloody network. Any data connection between two or more separate devices is a network. It's just a question of differentiating between a LAN (local area network) and a WAN (wide area network). You must have set up the access credentials for your Humii to register with your WiFi, so you have indeed set up a network.

Thanks for all your replies.

I had a look at a Thomson TG585 maual on this link http://c7942337.myzen.co.uk/routers/zen/thomson/TG585v7/TG585v7-manual.pdf Have a look at section 4.1.3 on page 35; is UPnP enabled? If it is, is Extended security enabled?

Yes, I've had a look and this is what it says:

Universal Plug and Play
Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is a technology that enables seamless operation of a wide range of games and messaging applications.

Use UPnP:Yes
spacer.gif

Use Extended Security:Yes

Define "see".

When I go to Media>>Storage>>Network on either HDR it just says "Connecting" with a spinning star for a long time then No Server Has Been Found with an OK to press.

See means I can view the files on both HDRs on my laptop and my smart phone using VLC.

With the Humax DLNA service turned on and using UPnP in VLC?

By Media >> Storage >> Network? You have to be patient; for unknown reasons it takes a while for external DLNA shares to register. You would be better off using network-shares-automount.

Of course it's a bloody network.

I'm using UPnP in VLC but not sure what you mean by DLNA service. I'm not running the Customised Firmware on either box if it's got something to do with that?

Hurray, it's a bloody network!

When I changed ISP, several years back, I was supplied with a TG589.
This was the most frustrating router I have known - it wouldn't accept some configuration changes, wouldn't perform DHCP properly, wouldn't action address allocation according to MAC.
I just couldn't get the local network to function properly, so changed to a TP-Link model.
I hope your router isn't the same as mine was - but fear it might be.

Neither would Dan's if he hadn't tried to assign IP addresses to the client's mac address.:roflmao:

The HDR Fox DLNA sharing function definitely works with a TG585 v7 (running firmware 8.2.7.7). WIth your current setup it should be possible to list remote media files and play SD content, but you don't seem to be getting that far. Unfortunately without custom firmware and/or an on-site networking expert the debugging opportunities are limited.

The SD limitation is because the TG585's WiFi (802.11g) is too slow to stream Freeview HD content; you would need to connect the two HDR Foxes to the router with cables for this to work, or upgrade to faster WiFi router (you could keep the TG585 for connecting to the ISP, disable its WiFi and plug a new WiFi access point into it).

Incidentally a web search for "Wii DLNA media player" indicates that you might have been able to configure your Wii to play SD content from your HDR Fox but that the Wii won't manage higher resolutions and wouldn't have been able to access HD content anyway unless you had installed the CF and decrypted it, so a 2nd HDR (or HD) Fox should have been a good move.

DLNA is the standard by which VLC or HDx Fox can list and play media on a server such as an HDR Fox on which it has been enabled by setting Menu>Settings>System>Internet Setting>Content Share=On, as you obvs have done. Without custom firmware this is the only way to do this.

... You must have set up the access credentials for your Humii to register with your WiFi, ...
Humaxen?

Last edited:
DLNA is the standard by which VLC or HDx Fox can list and play media on a server such as an HDR Fox on which it has been enabled by setting Menu>Settings>System>Internet Setting>Content Share=On
I built a glossary of terms so we wouldn't have to keep explaining this kind of thing: Glossary (click)

Reactions: /df
LADS! URGENT RESPONSE PLEASE - FORMATTING FOR 25 MINUTES AND COUNTING - IS THAT NORMAL?

How long does a disk format take?

I think I may have bought a pup. It's been buzzing and clicking since I got it but everything seemed to work so I thought it was just normal for that particular box. Tonight it's louder and more persistant and it just froze as I was setting something in the EPG and a notice popped up:

"The HDD storage must be formatted to use recording functions. Press OK to go to the Data Storage menu."

I didn't really want to format so I tried to get out of it but it froze. Eventually it came back to normal. I thought I would do an HDD Test and in a flash it came up HDD Test Fail. You may recover the HDD through Format storage (Error code: 1).

There's nothing on it that I want so I tried to format and now it's just saying "Processing" for the last 25 minutes.

Shall I switch it off or let it continue. HELP!

Thanks Ezra. I've never had to do it before but I thought it might just be a five or ten minute job. It's still "Processing".

The clicking noises seem to have gone while it's doing this.

Thanks Ezra. I've never had to do it before but I thought it might just be a five or ten minute job. It's still "Processing".
It should be pretty quick. A much better idea (rather than formatting) would be to install the custom firmware which will allow the health of the drive to be assessed and provide a tool that might fix some problems.

Dare I leave it on while I'm out??? Need to go in 10 minutes. Please if anyone's still there, let me know.:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back