Box completely dead

peterpi

..........Well almost. The only sign of life is the optical output lights up for a second when I plug the power in. The fan doesn't turn although I did once see BBC1 HD on the display but nothing else was working. A positive outcome is important, as several pints of real ale at my local are riding on it. :)

The heatsink inside is getting warm so I asume that is cooling a regulator chip. I'm going to do a search to see if I can get a circuit diagram. If anyone has a link to such a diagram, I would be obliged if it was posted.

Ta.

Last edited:
I did hope the external supply was dying under load, but see my amendment.

Thanks.
Those external supplies can partially fail in very confusing ways. I had this on a laptop recently and a bit of googling suggests it's a not uncommon problem. If you can acquire a spare brick at reasonable cost, or even lash up a temporary supply, it would probably be worth a try.

Those external supplies can partially fail in very confusing ways. I had this on a laptop recently and a bit of googling suggests it's a not uncommon problem. If you can acquire a spare brick at reasonable cost, or even lash up a temporary supply, it would probably be worth a try.
Yes, might be worth a try. I'm going to dig a bit further in and see if I can see if I can measure some voltages.

You'll be lucky.:(

Shame there doesn't appear to be a map of the main board anywhere.

Back