Bricked DTR-T1000

harryba

I have bricked my DTR-T1000. The box was displaying a "searching for update..." message on the TV output for quite some time. I tried to do a power off reset, and that made things worse...

The box now has power (as evidenced by the leds around the network connection lighting up), but the orange standby light behind the power button does not come on. No response on pressing the power button on the front or trying to put it into maintenance mode.

I tried phoning up Humax who were quite unhelpful. Beyond the "have you tried switching it off and on" they didn't have any further ideas. To send it for repair costs pretty much the same as a reconditioned unit. [quite funny - the guy on the phone seemed to think the leds around the network connector had a separate power supply]

Anyway... is there anything that can be done with a unit in this state? I was thinking of being able to reflash using JTAG, but it seems that this is locked down and no images to be found :-(

Cheers,

Harry

To send it for repair costs pretty much the same as a reconditioned unit. [quite funny - the guy on the phone seemed to think the leds around the network connector had a separate power supply]

I should think it should be fully covered by the usual EU 2 year seller's guarantee against not being fit for purpose? Or the 6 year UK version? If you want evidence that it was not your fault, but faulty hardware and software, I am sure we could all offer our support. My box now regularly hangs when I tune in one of those BT Sport channels, so how were you to know yours hadn't hung? You would hardly be expected to leave it forever when it is searching for new firmware.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ /http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

https://www.adviceguide.org.uk/

[quite funny - the guy on the phone seemed to think the leds around the network connector had a separate power supply]
In a way it does as the front panel taps off its own DC feed from the PSU.

Edit: Whoops! I read that as being the lights round the Standby button on the front panel.

Thanks guys. The machine was from the trial, so the one year period has *just* ended (sigh). I don't mind buying another one, but it does bug me that something that fundamentally has nothing wrong with it has to go into the bin.

Harry

luckily for me I am still under warranty, but I'm currently on replacement box number five, which is a real disappointment, given my PVR 9200T is still going strong.

one box lasted the better part of a year, the others failed within days.

this one is having similar turn on and stall problems, failed recordings, as the others, which is a known issue, but hasn't completely failed, as yet. just keeping it for on demand and watching HD channels.

maybe I've just been unlucky, but, whether it's the hardware or software, something appears to be fundamentally wrong with the design.

I no longer recommend Humax to friends, despite the UI and features being the best I've used on any PVR, just not dependable any more.

A little unfair to lump all Humax products the same. Our HDR FoxT2 will be fours years old in four months time and has been almost 100% reliable. Only had to power off/on twice in all that time.

A little unfair to lump all Humax products the same. Our HDR FoxT2 will be fours years old in four months time and has been almost 100% reliable. Only had to power off/on twice in all that time.

But unfortunately, the HDR Fox-T2 is no longer available new. The current crop, and the refurb T2s, seem a much less attractive proposition.

I ended up getting a HDR Fox-T2, seems to be a better support community around it (and you can reflash from USB). I think I will avoid closed platforms like this in the future.

If anyone wants the bricked box to mess about with I'm happy to send it to you pay for postage. Who knows, there could be a hardware fault, but if for any reason you want it you can have it. No use to me as it is. I'll flog the remote on ebay.

Back