Broken WebIF

Bingo! Thank you.

There are obviously packages missing as I only have 8 of the usual 12 icons on the home page, but I can crib those from another machine and download tomorrow, along with the settings.

Are you able to tell me what the important commands were? I still have HDR3 with the same apparent problem.

Was it catch 22 situation with the Beta webif?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can crib those from another machine and download tomorrow, along with the settings.
Typically, re-installing a missing package also restores its previous settings (which were sitting around waiting to be accessed).

Try diag fix-webif. If that doesn't work then try...
Code:
sed -i -e '/^Package: webif$/,/^$/d' /mod/var/opkg/status 
opkg install webif

Try diag fix-webif. If that doesn't work then try...
Code:
sed -i -e '/^Package: webif$/,/^$/d' /mod/var/opkg/status
opkg install webif
Code:
Please select option: diag                                                                                                                                             

Enter the diagnostic name (or press return to cancel): fix-webif                                                                                                       
Are you sure you wish to run diagnostic 'fix-webif'? [Y/N] y                                                                                                           
Running: fix-webif                                                                                                                                                     
No packages removed.                                                                                                                                                   
Downloading http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/Packages.gz.                                                                                                                   
Inflating http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/Packages.gz.                                                                                                                     
Updated list of available packages in /mod/var/opkg/base.                                                                                                               
Installing webif (1.4.8-9) to root...                                                                                                                                   
Collected errors:                                                                                                                                                       
 * opkg_download_pkg: Package webif is not available from any configured src.                                                                                           
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download webif. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?                                                                                   
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package webif.

Code:
HDR3# sed -i -e '/^Package: webif$/,/^$/d' /mod/var/opkg/status                                                                                                         

HDR3# opkg install webif                                                                                                                                               
Installing webif (1.4.8-8) to root...                                                                                                                                   
Downloading http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/webif_1.4.8-8_mipsel.opk.                                                                                                     
Installing rsvsync (1.1.13) to root...                                                                                                                                 
Downloading http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/rsvsync_1.1.13_mipsel.opk.                                                                                                     
Installing tmenu (1.22) to root...                                                                                                                                     
Downloading http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/tmenu_1.22_mipsel.opk.                                                                                                         
Installing multienv (1.7-1) to root...                                                                                                                                 
Downloading http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/multienv_1.7-1_mipsel.opk.                                                                                                     
Installing nugget (1.0) to root...                                                                                                                                     
Downloading http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/nugget_1.0_mipsel.opk.                                                                                                         
Installing tweak (1.0) to root...                                                                                                                                       
Downloading http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/tweak_1.0_mipsel.opk.                                                                                                         
warning: commands will be executed using /bin/sh                                                                                                                       
job 3 at Fri Jun 26 23:08:00 2020                                                                                                                                       
Can't open /var/run/atd.pid to signal atd. No atd running?                                                                                                             
Configuring rsvsync.                                                                                                                                                   
Configuring tmenu.                                                                                                                                                     
Configuring multienv.                                                                                                                                                   
Configuring tweak.                                                                                                                                                     
Configuring nugget.                                                                                                                                                     
Configuring webif.                                                                                                                                                     
SMART: (PASSED)                                                                                                                                                         
startstop: 8199 realloc: 0 hours: 17093 spinretry: 0 pending: 0 offline: 0                                                                                             
Queue database is up-to-date.                                                                                                                                           
HDR3#

Rebooted and ran the command, but it seemed to do nothing

Code:
HDR3# ps | grep at                                                                                                                   
HDR3#

HDR3 Webif is however restored. Thank you @xyz321 and everyone else who offered advice.

HDR2 (and I am guessing HDR3 as well) was actually missing only a few packages. However, packages such as Sysmon, Qtube, Sweeper were showing as installed but were not on the webif homepage. so I uninstalled and installed each again having first tried fix-flash-packages. Of the other installed packages, I have no way of telling if they are correctly installed and operational. Is there a diagnostic which will force install each installed package in turn?

The atd needs to be running for scheduled tasks to run but the output of the command above depends on which version of ps you have installed. A better command to try is:
Code:
/mod/bin/busybox/ps | grep at
If that produces no output then we need to investigate why it is not running.

The atd needs to be running for scheduled tasks to run but the output of the command above depends on which version of ps you have installed. A better command to try is:
Code:
/mod/bin/busybox/ps | grep at
If that produces no output then we need to investigate why it is not running.

HDR3
Code:
HDR3# /mod/bin/busybox/ps | grep at                                                                                                                  
    2 root         0 SW   [migration/0]                                                                                                              
    4 root         0 SW   [migration/1]                                                                                                              
   19 root         0 SW<  [ata/0]                                                                                                                    
   20 root         0 SW<  [ata/1]                                                                                                                    
   21 root         0 SW<  [ata_aux]                                                                                                                  
1281 root       820 S N  /mod/sbin/atd                                                                                                              
1496 root      3272 S N  /mod/bin/epg -f /mnt/hd1/dvbepg/epg.dat sqlitedumpd /mnt/hd1/epg.db                                                        
1618 root       872 S N  /mod/sbin/rpc.statd                                                                                                        
7063 root      1344 S N  grep at                                                                                                                    
HDR3#

HDR2 for completeness
Code:
HDR2# mod/bin/busybox/ps | grep at                                                                                                                    
    2 root         0 SW   [migration/0]                                                                                                              
    4 root         0 SW   [migration/1]                                                                                                              
   19 root         0 SW<  [ata/0]                                                                                                                    
   20 root         0 SW<  [ata/1]                                                                                                                    
   21 root         0 SW<  [ata_aux]                                                                                                                  
1339 root       820 S N  /mod/sbin/atd                                                                                                              
1489 root      3428 S N  /mod/bin/epg -f /mnt/hd1/dvbepg/epg.dat sqlitedumpd /mnt/hd1/epg.db                                                        
7747 root      1344 S N  grep at                                                                                                                    
HDR2#

Last edited:
Of the other installed packages, I have no way of telling if they are correctly installed and operational.
I wrote something that iterates through all packages checking that all the files belonging to each package are there. That's about all it could do.

The auto-update has reinstalled webif 1.4.8-9 overnight. Is there a risk of getting caught in another logical loop after a crash?

The auto-update has reinstalled webif 1.4.8-9 overnight. Is there a risk of getting caught in another logical loop after a crash?
My machine crashes fairly frequently and, touch wood, never has had a problem restarting but it you have a disk corruption or other problem that forces a reinstall of the webif then potentially you could.

I lost track of which method eventually worked for you but it would be worth documenting in case you or someone else has similar problems in the future.

After some experimentation on the first box and xyz321's ultimate fix , the second box was fixed quite quickly by the advice offered by xyz123 at #66 and some checking at #70.

I can edit this if I am not correct.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I wrote something that iterates through all packages checking that all the files belonging to each package are there. That's about all it could do.

Having first checked the installed packages, the way I adopted in the end was to compare the orange bars on the settings page with my main box and force reinstall the supposedly installed packages not showing here. Interestingly some the "missing" packages were common to both the corrupted boxes, such as tempmon, redring and thumbnails, others I am not 100% certain were ever installed. Why these are different to other packages I don't know, but the fix-flash-packages diagnostic wasn't able to repair them.

I accept that it is not 100% assurance that all packages are correctly installed, but seemed a reasonable compromise.

I was not able to install dropbear, but I recall seeing something about a version being skipped. Not really an issue for me at the moment.

Why these are different to other packages I don't know, but the fix-flash-packages diagnostic wasn't able to repair them.
fix-flash-packages, as its name suggests, only repairs things which have at least one component in flash. It is not a universal fixer for all packages.
I would suggest that the majority of packages do not have anything in flash.

Back