Browsing and downloading files on Windows XP computer

Mick Allen

I can see my 1800T on my Win 10 laptop, and can download the files from it. It shows up in Network locations as HDR-1800T Media Server: 0.0.0.0. Is it possible to also get it to show up on my desktop PC running Win XP? I've tried adding it as a FTP server and am coming up against a brick wall. Didn't need to do anything on Win 10, it just showed up.

I can see my 1800T on my Win 10 laptop, and can download the files from it. It shows up in Network locations as HDR-1800T Media Server: 0.0.0.0. Is it possible to also get it to show up on my desktop PC running Win XP? I've tried adding it as a FTP server and am coming up against a brick wall. Didn't need to do anything on Win 10, it just showed up.
You need to find DLNA client software for Windows XP. You should be able to download content via FTP from Windows XP using FTP client software eg old versions of Filezilla but it will be of little use other than for backup purposes as the content will be encrypted.

Strange...encrypted? I'm managing to convert the downloaded .ts files files to mp4s via Nero on my Win 10 laptop. Thought it was only the HD files that are a pain?

Strange...encrypted?
I was specifically talking about files downloaded by FTP. All recordings are encrypted by the Humax.
I'm managing to convert the downloaded .ts files files to mp4s via Nero on my Win 10 laptop. Thought it was only the HD files that are a pain?
The Win 10 download mechanism you are using is different and as you have found does remove the encryption from SD files.

I never realised the files were unencrypted by Win 10. So the bottom line is I wouldn't be able to convert to mp4 on my XP machine anyhow?

Refer here: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/downloading-decrypted-recordings-to-pc-including-hidef.5379/

The topic linked above is pinned at the top of the 1800T section of the forum, so you really should have been aware of it.

Win10 has picked up the DLNA server, not the FTP server. All recorded content on the 1800T is stored internally in an encrypted form. Using the DLNA server to access the content decrypts it on the way through the DLNA server (within the 1800T hardware). If you did use the FTP server, the download would be useless due to the encryption (the FTP server access the files directly, so does not provide decryption).

The article linked describes how to download using the DLNA server, in situations where the target system does not support DLNA for network file access, and how to persuade it to include HiDef recordings.

I never realised the files were unencrypted by Win 10.
They're not decrypted by Win10, they are decrypted by the 1800T when using the appropriate access mechanism.

So the bottom line is I wouldn't be able to convert to mp4 on my XP machine anyhow?
By following the instructions, you can download decrypted files to the XP system. Win10 is hiding the detail of what is happening, and just happens to be able to detect and use DLNA servers as network file systems (ditto Win7). DLNA was never intended for that, it was intended as a plug-and-play means to stream media from a server to a player.

Last edited:
DLNA was never intended for that, it was intended as a plug-and-play means to stream media from a server to a player.
But, if you know what you are doing, you can copy (well, stream really) StdDef and HiDef programmes from 1800T/2000T to Windows XP using DLNA. I use it all the time in preference to using an external USB drive on the Humax. Piece of piddle when you know how. ;)

or an easier way? Please enlighten....
Unfortunately, my "easier way" was to understand what others have done for other Humax models, work out what was needed to do something similar for the 2000T and my Windows XP computer, and write a program to do it myself.
Piece of piddle when you know how.
... but required quite a bit of research to get there. :D

What's wrong with the existing recommendations? Have you actually read the referred topic?
OK, I've spent some time on this today. Managed to ftp over (using FTP Commander) the .hmt file and 'Foxy' it. The HiDef file is ready to be downloaded on the Humax. Just having trouble now actually getting the file from the box to my PC. Tried VLC and the instructions given

"Run and click View - Playlist
On the left, select Local Network - Universal Plug'n'Play.
The Humax should appear in the file browser. Navigate to the file required and click"

The Humax is not appearing in the file browser, however. Sorry to be a pain!

Is there any other DNLA server I could try for XP? I think the Win MP bundled with XP doesn't have DNLA capabilities. As a side issue could my Avast be blocking VLC?

FWIW I can't get VLC on an XP to find the Humax in order to list the files. My minimal research suggests this feature is flakey on VLC anyway.
You only need a DLNA server if you want to serve files from Windows XP to another device.
You need to find DLNA client software for Windows XP
The only way I could do something resembling what you are trying to do is to download foobar2000 and the plug-in foo_upnp. This finds the Humax but refuses to play the items. (Maybe there is a way to make it do it - but I've only just found it). With a bit of pratting about you can find the details of a Humax file (upnp browser, find file of interest, right click, properties, details, file path). Copy and paste to open network stream in VLC and it should play. Or just use your Win10 computer instead!

I think my instructions said about finding the correct link with UPNP Inspector and then feeding that to wget. It's all very well taking the easy route, but if it doesn't work you're up the Swanee.

I think my instructions said about finding the correct link with UPNP Inspector and then feeding that to wget. It's all very well taking the easy route, but if it doesn't work you're up the Swanee.
This foobar 2000 thing can do the upnp inspection and the wget bit - even though it is an audio player. It allows the user to copy (wget) the file and save it locally. Then you can play it with VLC. (I like my own way - see #12 - based on your original Idea: "Foxy-max" PC Utility (developer needed). Unfortunately that's another Java program that is currently undocumented, in a state of flux and certainly not ready to be released into the wild).

Back