BT (humax) DTR-T2110 does USB do anything?

filmlover

I have recently bought the DTR T2110 and would like to archive recording to a pc.
I see 2 USB sockets on the box and there is no information about what they do, does anyone have any information?
Can they be used for copying recordings to PC, or has the HDD to be removed to copy files?

Thank you for your replies, I read some where that the HD content only is encrypted, can anyone confirm this.
Also in one review on Amazon that the USB is for backing up:

(Good workhorse, with a couple of minor issues that may or may not irritate you., 12 May 2015
By P. Chadwick
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: BT Youview+ Set Top Box (500Gb) Recorder with Twin HD Freeview and 7 Day Catch Up TV - no subscription (Electronics)
Plus points

Very easy to use.
Works fine with an external WiFi adapter connected over the ethernet port.
The way you can use the guide to go back and watch on-demand stuff is very intuitive and easy.
Recording seems to be faultlessly reliable and easy.
In general it all just works, which is good.
minus points:
The USB socket doesn't do anything except allow backups of recordings and provide 5V power e.g for your WiFi adapter, so you can't play music, view photos etc from the box.)

This is a snapshot of the full review, is this guy making assumptions?
Any comments please.

I may be giving bum info about file system encryption - I know there are some units which do and I presumed this is one of them. I wouldn't know about the USB functionality, I don't have one.

I suggest you look through this section of the forum for pertinent information. Regarding encrypted file systems, this topic looks relevant: http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/dtr-t1000-encrypted-filesystems.2430/

StDef recordings are not encrypted on the Freeview recorders HDR-FOX, HDR-1800/2000T, and HD-FOX (with an external drive). I can't say about others. YouView, FreePlay etc are much more "locked down".

Last edited:
Correct, but the encryption/decryption is effectively transparent to the user (and I admit to being a bit blasé about it). As the file system itself is not encrypted on these models, one is at least able to access the files themselves if necessary, even if they are encrypted.

Thank you for your replies, I read some where that the HD content only is encrypted, can anyone confirm this.
Also in one review on Amazon that the USB is for backing up:

(Good workhorse, with a couple of minor issues that may or may not irritate you., 12 May 2015
By P. Chadwick
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: BT Youview+ Set Top Box (500Gb) Recorder with Twin HD Freeview and 7 Day Catch Up TV - no subscription (Electronics)
Plus points

Very easy to use.
Works fine with an external WiFi adapter connected over the ethernet port.
The way you can use the guide to go back and watch on-demand stuff is very intuitive and easy.
Recording seems to be faultlessly reliable and easy.
In general it all just works, which is good.
minus points:
The USB socket doesn't do anything except allow backups of recordings and provide 5V power e.g for your WiFi adapter, so you can't play music, view photos etc from the box.)

This is a snapshot of the full review, is this guy making assumptions?
Any comments please.
The DTR-T1***s only encrypts HD and I've been presuming that the DTR-T2***s would be the same. I can find references from owners saying that their DTR-T1*** models are OK for SD but haven't seen any for any of the DTR-T1*** models.

By "Works fine with an external WiFi adapter connected over the ethernet port" I read that as using an ethernet wifi bridge device. There have been other reviews were this hasn't been so successful.

Unlike my TalkTalk Youview recorder, my DTR-T2100 was NOT reliable when I first got it. Its failed recordings were identical to what happens on a Humax freeview+ box if 2 of the commercial muxes were sourced from an alternative transmitter. I ran a series of test and could predict with 100% accurately which recordings would fail and which would be OK. Since retuning using aerial in/out to force it to retune from just one transmitter it has been very reliable for TV programmes. Youview very recently announced that they are now aware that Humax Youview recorders have a tuning issue which could cause recordings to fail due to multiple transmitters (and they also stated that this does not apply to TalkTalk Youview boxes). Considering that the latest software for the HDR-2000T still hasn't fixed its auto-tune multi-transmitter issues I wouldn't rely on Humax ever sorting out thee auto-tune issues in their Youview boxes.
For recording radio programes all youview boxes are unreliable. This is due to the youview boxes having no manual option for setting up timers. Even when I was trying to use my DTR-T2100 as my prime device I had to keep my HDR-FOX T2 fully running in parallel for radio programmes.

The USB socket takes a keyboard. I use this for a mini-keyboard so that I can easily enter searches. The only advantage of the mini keyboards is that none of them have an'insert' key, which when connected to a YouView box is equivalent to pressing the info button on the remote.

Regarding other comments in that review:
I have a slightly newer Sony Brava TV and can't recall a single issue with handshaking (unlike my HDR-2000T). HDMI handshaking for me is as sold as with my HDR-FOX T2s (1.03.12 and 1.02.20).

What the review does not mention concerning IPTV channels is that it picks up very few of the 225-260 IPTV channels that are in the freeview guide and those it does take a very long time to switch over to. There are also some channels that have additional streams via the same type of mechanism e.g. 4Music - and these are also missing. I suspect that the reviewer is not aware of the existence of some of these streams. But what is does have is the connected red button for BBC content. (My refurbished £40 Vestel twin recorder picks all these up fine, just a shame that the most pertinent word for my experience of the Vestel is 'unreliable'.)

The youview menus have separate options for eco-mode and RF pass through. But as the reviewer said turning on eco-mode will stop the RF pass through. Oddly the TalkTalk youview box that I've got (DN372T) the settings work independently, apart from a 9 seconds period each time it is restarted from stand-by when in eco-mode.

Thank you all for your replies.

My old Humax was a 9200t, which has been slow reacting to the remote control and freezes up a lot, so I thought that I would give this Youview box a try, with the hope that I could access the recordings, that I want to keep.
If anyone else has tried and had some success I would be very grateful if you can let me know how you did it.
And thanks again to everyone who answered my query.

Thanks Luke, Since writing I noticed that, and it looks like a possibility, I would be giving a try but in the mean time I would like to see if anyone has had success copying files from the DTR-T2110.

I have recently bought the DTR T2110 and would like to archive recording to a pc.
I see 2 USB sockets on the box and there is no information about what they do, does anyone have any information?
Can they be used for copying recordings to PC, or has the HDD to be removed to copy files?
I did some tests on this box if you plug a mouse and keyboard into them it works just like a computer you get a mouse pointer but it will not click anything, and this leads me to believe there is a secret menu of some sort

I did some tests on this box if you plug a mouse and keyboard into them it works just like a computer you get a mouse pointer but it will not click anything, and this leads me to believe there is a secret menu of some sort
Keyboard support was added after Youview first came out to help with accessibility. Mappings for 3 different styles of keyboard to the various functions are available from the Youview support site.
I have a mini wireless keyboard connected to mine as it is a lot easier for getting to the recordings (just press F4) and typing in searches, and slightly easier for some other functions. The only drawback is that , like many mini wifi keyboards, it lacks an Insert key. The Insert key maps to the Information function.

Back