BT Youview

D

Deleted member 473

BT are offering the DTR-T1000 free if you subscribe to their service at £5 a month for 12 months. I don't know if you have to have their broadband too, but a £49 "activation fee" is mentioned. So, you get the box for at most £109!

Am I missing something? This box costs £250 if you buy it online.

Finally ordered one. £49 "set up" and £5 a month for 12 months has to be a bargain. I blame it on subsidies.

Where on earth is the Android App? How could Youview have got this so wrong? Surely they saw the Android bandwagon approaching? Was it really necessary to focus all on iOS?

Also, where is the ability to set recordings from your PC?

Did it say it did these things when you decided to get it?

An Android app is due imminently. Much more important is where is the WM app? ;)

Did it say it did these things when you decided to get it?

An Android app is due imminently. Much more important is where is the WM app? ;)

I would have thought that with 162m new Android phones, 37m iPhones and 7m Windoze phones sold so far this year, YouView would have seen where the priority was?

I am not at all sure the Android App is imminent. It was supposed to be here this month, but my response from YouView was very non-committal.

"We would like the YouView app to be available to all mobile users and not just Apple users and our technicians are looking to develop an app for other phones as well, in the meantime please bare with us and we thank you for your feedback and your query has been passed on to the relevant team as feedback into app and box future features."

<Groan>

So, anyone checked what juice the box uses in low eco standby, remote scheduling, mode? Is it the full 27w? And does it put its drive to sleep?

The drive doesn't go to sleep

Thanks for the info. Very useful.

Now, about that non-sleeping HDD! Wow, Humax really had to rush this to market, didn't they? How many PCs these days have a drive that doesn't go to sleep? If you aren't chase-playing and aren't recording, that drive should be snoozing.

So, a later firmware update, or a new model?

The Youview box *does* spin down the drive in standby. Certainly in High Eco mode and I thought it did in Low Eco mode too. There have been reports of boxes that didn't which were fixed by a reset of varying severity and even boxes being replaced by the supplier.

OK, got back from holiday and BT Sport is activated, except it doesn't work on the BT Youview box unless you have a router that supports multicasting. My Netgear ones don't seem to. There is an option to enable multicasting but there is still the same error message afterwards.

I have the original infinity homehub collecting dust somewhere, a modified HH2 I think, with one LAN port adapted to WAN. No idea if that has multicasting enabled and don't really want to use it. Edit: It doesn't have multicasting, and there lies the problem!

Despite this, BT Sport works on both my laptop and Android tablet over WiFi, so what's the big deal with the BT Youview box?

The other thing about the BTYV box is that if you do tune into those channels, after a while it hangs and has to be power rebooted!

The other thing about the BTYV box is that if you do tune into those channels, after a while it hangs and has to be power rebooted!

Just tried again. Not only does the box eventually hang on the BT Sport channels, but you can change to another channel, and a few minutes later the box hangs. Pathetic!

Contacted BT again. (First email got a stock reply.)

They have sent a Homehub 3 free of charge, and that has solved the problems with BT Sport.

So, you have to use the HH3, which has no 5GHz WiFi, so is prone to interference from neighbours' WiFi.

Update: The Youview software updated the other day and overwrote the customized BT Youview software. A manual update cured that, but how many complaints do you think BT got?

Back