Buying a new HDR will it take customised firmware?

Percy

Hello, been given the OK to buy a HDR, but i am worried a new one wont take a CF.
At present we have a HD box with CF and it makes a good product a brilliant product! i have it netwoked to my main computer, and if i cant do this with a new box, there's no point buying one.
So, is the latest HDR a safe bet?
thanks in advance
nigel

So, is the latest HDR a safe bet?
An HDR-FOX T2 will be OK for custom firmware with either the new or old tuner hardware. Currently an HDR-2000T is not capable of using custom firmware; it isn't clear whether this will be possible in the future.

Be aware that the HDR-2000T has its own forum section HERE (click).

The 2000T is the replacement for the HDR-FOX, and the only supplies of new HDR-FOXes appear to be remnants of stock that come up from time to time. If you want an HDR-FOX (and you do!) look for a Grade A refurbished unit from Humax Direct (1 year warranty, good as new). Inspect immediately on delivery, and reject if there is any sign of problems at all - I sent one back without even turning it on because case distortion indicated the courier had dropped it.

Thanks everybody! never heard of the 2000T until Martin's reply and seeing as you cant network it (i don't consider DLNA, as networking!) its not for me.
Yep, been on the humax website and seen they have no stock or managers specials so wondering if i should take a gamble on ebay, 3 or 4 used models on there, which would make my original question redundant!

Thanks Luke, nearest is Manchester which is a two hour round trip, and to be honest would rather undergo brain surgery than drive into the centre of Manchester!
But, i might have to, there's only Amazon and richer who have them in stock.

I have no experience of one to be honest. But without the ability to run the Custom Firmware and the lack of a display rules it out for me. Besides, I already have three HDR Fox T2's!!!

I was only having a josh with you. You must decide what you want and go for it.

You must decide what you want and go for it.

That's what i keep saying to the wife, but she wont have another woman in the house!
on a serious note, i have read somewhere that the 1TB versions have problems, but seeing as you have three, i take it you don't agree?

The lack of display and more ambiguous state LED would be a disincentive for me but not as much as not being able to customise it with the options that the custom firmware provides.

Ha. I know what you mean. Just say the old one is failing and you need a replacement.

Are you a man or a mouse? Eek, eek.

Now where did I put that Gorgonzola?

:)

The lack of display and more ambiguous state LED would be a disincentive for me but not as much as not being able to customise it with the options that the custom firmware provides.

Hi af123, got to agree with you about the custom firmware, its a definite deal breaker.

on a serious note, i have read somewhere that the 1TB versions have problems, but seeing as you have three, i take it you don't agree?
There has been speculation that the 1TB drives have more problems but not a great deal of statistical evidence. In the worst case the hard drive can be replaced when necessary.

...on a serious note, i have read somewhere that the 1TB versions have problems, but seeing as you have three, i take it you don't agree?

Two of the three were 500GB models that I upgraded to 1TB HDD. The third was bought as a 1TB, but after a very short period of time, the HDD developed increasing bad sectors. I replaced the HDD in that too. I know I should have really returned it for a replacement, but chose not to.

As you might gather, I am not a fan of Seagate hard drives.

I saw the Richer Sound website showed that a number of their store had stock of the HDR-Fox T2 but when I went to my local branch they told me the website was wrong , that they didn't have any and that the "1" showing on the website was probably a machine that they used to loan out. So it is worth phoning the Richer Sound branch to check whether they actually do have any in stock

In the end I bought a Grade A HDR-Fox T2 from humaxdirect last week.

Well, i thought i should let you all know that i bought a HDR off ebay.
When it arrived i set it up to see if it was OK before i installed the custom firmware, i didnt want to rush things so i waited two or three minutes! before i installed the cfw and it works a treat! all i need now is support for flacs with embedded cue sheets and I2s connection to a DAC, now wouldnt that be nice.

I hadn't realised that the T2 were discontinued. The availability of CF has transformed it completely, thanks af, so looking to the future I guess there's a few questions:
1. How long would the rs server continue to function?
2. These machines will eventually fail, what are possible alternatives out there
3. Any point in getting one of these Grade A as a future replacement?

Back