Can I Connect Old HP Computer Monitor to HDR

Doppa

Can I use an old HP computer monitor to connect to my HDR-Fox T2 to replace my old Samsung TV that has decided not to switch on any more?

The only two connections I can see on the HP monitor are Audio In and VGA but it has built in speakers.

Until I get my TV repaired or buy a new one I was hoping I could do this as a temporary fix over the weekend as otherwise I can't view or programme the Hummy.

This is the relevant section, not looking good for 50 Hz

No it's not but I'm not sure what it actually means!

Install the custom firmware. You will then have access to setting recordings via a web browser on your home network (without needing a TV).

I'd thought about that but wasn't sure if I'd need the screen to do it. I've been mulling over installing it for years but we haven't had any updates for ages so I think I read somewhere on here that there's not going to be any more, is that right?

There won't be any more official firmware updates transmitted over the air, because the engineering channel has been discontinued. It is unlikely there will be any official updates released at all, because the HDR-FOX is obsolete. However, that has nothing to do with the custom firmware.

The CF is af123's additions to the official firmware, and the actual firmware part only needs to be updated when the rest of the custom ecosystem needs tweaks to the supporting facilities. Most of what comprises "CF" is in additional packages which provide specific functionality according to the user's wishes, and are under continuous development.

Start here: Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click)

Install the custom firmware.
I'd thought about that but wasn't sure if I'd need the screen to do it.
If the HDR isn't already on the network you'll probably struggle to get the IP address set-up without a screen. If it's on DHCP you might be lucky though.
If it's not connected you can wire it to the router with a cat5, reboot, and look inside the router to see if it's connected. If it's there with an IP address then you should be able to get in and manage the CFW - once it's installed (which I think is a USB stick job).

Thanks for all your help everyone. I think I'll have to buy a new TV though before I try anything else, unless there's a genius amongst you who can tell me how to fix my old Samsung LW15E23. It would seem that it needs capacitors or a power board from what I can glean online so I don't think it's going to be worth fixing as that sounds expensive for an old analogue TV that's around 15 years old!

It's me again! My TV is kaput and until I get a new one, can anyone tell me if it's possible to connect my laptop to the Hummy so that I can use it as a screen temporarily? It has an HDMI connection so is it just a matter of plugging a cable into each one?

I tried connecting them last night via HDMI but the first time the laptop just switched straight off as soon as I connected it. When I restarted it there didn't seem to be any way to get rid of Windows and bring a blank screen up so I'm not sure if I'm missing something or not. I read online about it being output only but now I'm totally confused.

I tried connecting them last night via HDMI but the first time the laptop just switched straight off as soon as I connected it. When I restarted it there didn't seem to be any way to get rid of Windows and bring a blank screen up so I'm not sure if I'm missing something or not. I read online about it being output only but now I'm totally confused.
Your computer's HDMI socket is an OUTPUT. It is there so you can display the computer's screen on a TV, projector, or monitor, or add a second display to extend your Windows desktop. You CANNOT take the HDMI output from another video source (eg the HDR-FOX or any other STB, DVD player, whatever...) and feed that into the computer. At best, it won't work. At worst, it might bugger something up. DON'T DO IT.

Honestly, looking at two connectors and saying "hey, I've got a cable that can join those two" is plain stupidity. These days, everything should be designed not to fit where it shouldn't, or come to no harm if it can be connected incorrectly, but there is no substitute for being aware of what you're doing. I have seen plenty of cases of cables on the market that are made to connect two things that shouldn't be connected and won't work if you do, just because the unwary will buy it thinking it is the solution to a problem. It wouldn't surprise me if somebody were trying to flog a "13A three-pin UK mains plug to VGA adapter cable" (it's no more stupid than some things I've seen claiming to connect analogue video to a digital display, but obviously a damned sight more deadly).

The HDMI spec sacrifices being idiot proof for the convenience having a cable that will connect either way around. However, the basic concept is to connect one video output to one video input. There are no variations on that theme.

Last edited:
OK thanks guys, that's made it much clearer now. I'll just to have to wait till I get my new TV.

Back