Can I Get Now TV on HDR-1100s

David Jones

Hi all. I'm a newcomer so sorry if this questions has already been answered, although I did a search and couldn't find a definite yes or no. Thinking of jumping ship from Sky so this box looks the business especially if I can also use Now TV. So just need to know for definite if Now TV can be used on this box.

Many thanks

Now TV is not mentioned in the Humax advertising for the 1100S, so one would guess not: https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/hdr-1100s/

According to an existing post, Now TV is not supported (unless the service has been added since, but that involves commercial agreements between Humax and Now TV so it seems unlikely). However, there are other on-demand services that are supported, so you might be OK with them: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hdr-1100s.7453/#post-101521

If you are particularly keen on Now TV, you need to concentrate on smart TVs/players/PVRs that definitely advertise Now TV compatibility. If it's advertised by the manufacturer (eg on the outside of the retail packaging), they have a contractural commitment to supply - but if not, they don't and any support is entirely at their discretion. Otherwise it's straightforward enough to use a Now TV stick in one of the TV's HDMI ports and a sat receiver / PVR / whatever in another.

Now TV is not mentioned in the Humax advertising for the 1100S, so one would guess not:

According to an existing post, Now TV is not supported (unless the service has been added since, but that involves commercial agreements between Humax and Now TV so it seems unlikely). However, there are other on-demand services that are supported, so you might be OK with them

If you are particularly keen on Now TV, you need to concentrate on smart TVs/players/PVRs that definitely advertise Now TV compatibility. If it's advertised by the manufacturer (eg on the outside of the retail packaging), they have a contractural commitment to supply - but if not, they don't and any support is entirely at their discretion. Otherwise it's straightforward enough to use a Now TV stick in one of the TV's HDMI ports and a sat receiver / PVR / whatever in another.

Thanks for the quick reply Black Hole. I guess like a lot of people I'm looking for the holy grail of a single box to do everything with. So a freesat PVR that I can also get streaming services on such as Now TV, Amazon Prime, netflix, YouTube etc. plus the usual catchup services is what I'm after. I know that some of the current smart TVs offer pretty much all of that but a) I don't need a new TV as my current 8 year old Panasonic is still fantastic for picture and sound and b) as far as I can see there are no Smart TVs that allow easy recording scheduling with the ability to record multiple channels while still watching another. So I've been purely looking at PVR boxes.

I'm a bit confused as to why some Humax boxes mention Now TV and some don't.

I'm a bit confused as to why some Humax boxes mention Now TV and some don't.
Now TV is currently on the Youview boxes. This is an arrangement with Youview not Humax and although it is sometimes advertised as "Now TV" only includes Films - no entertainment, no sports and no kids. Sky and BT have recently announced an agreement where for BT customers this will be expanded to all 4 categories but Sky's details do not mention that other youview users will also be able to subscribe to all 4 categories, and BT have form in not being very clear about what is a BT thing and what is attributable to youview. It should become apparent how the agreement will pan out in "early 2019" when it is implemented.

I guess like a lot of people I'm looking for the holy grail of a single box to do everything with. So a freesat PVR that I can also get streaming services on such as Now TV, Amazon Prime, netflix, YouTube etc. plus the usual catchup services is what I'm after.

I have seen rumours of a new Humax satellite box due in 2018 which might be what you want if you can wait; unfortunately at the moment there are no specifications available and no indication of a release date.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen rumours of a new Humax satellite box due in 2018 which might be what you want if you can wait; unfortunately at the moment there are no specifications available and no indication of a release date.
Hi Martin,
A new box sounds exciting, please keep us informed with any details that appear.
Regards,
Paul

Not aware that Humax will build the new box (though it seems likely)

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/08/freesat-plans-third-generation-set-top.html

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/08/31/freesat-rfp-to-include-hbbtv-and-uhd/

Now TV isn't available on the 2017 Freeview-Play Humax boxes which the new satellite box catch up is based on.

With the inclusion of HbbTV 2.0 support, Freesat follows the course of Freeview Play, which has also chosen to support the latest HbbTV standard. The BBC, a shareholder in both Freeview and Freesat is seen as a key driver behind the move to HbbTV 2.0.

Back